10%
Always open
3%
Always open and unloaded because I don't intend to get a CFP
1%

Total votes : 591

Re: Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Poll

Postby D-FIN » Tue 28 Jan 2014 4:31 pm

metalgimp wrote:I hear what you're saying, but with all the personal interpretations of the laws (by civilian and law enforcement alike), I feel like I'm dancing closer to the flames. Nobody gives a hoot when voicing your opinion (unless it's conservative), but something like carrying raises hackles on both sides of the aisle. It shouldn't, I now believe, but that's human.

For example, I went to the doctor a few days ago and was late, so I ended up carrying my firearm concealed into the office. Apprehensive doesn't say as much as I how I was feeling. I swore that they were going to find my blood pressure through the roof. Nope. Still I didn't want to offend them, and I kept my elbow tucked in to keep the handle from poking out. I've got a lousy holster for concealment. Fortunately no one noticed.

I found a suede inside-the-belt holster, but I hate suede: it just doesn't last. Another looked solid, but the pistol stuck more than I was comfortable with. Now I'm working on my own.

It sounds to me like most of your concerns here are mostly those of most new to CC. The "OMG what will they do if they find out I have gun". In reality no one pays that much attention. If your made it is most likely by someone who carries and knows what to look for.

I have done the Dr's office visit. Managed it concealed the entire time. When asked to get the scales I knew the weight would be more but I wasn't going disarm just for that. My doc is National Guard so I doubt he will have issue if he ever knows. I don't want to alarm anyone either but I'm not going to not carry just because someone might get upset.

The questions you asked before seemed more about if you were allowed to legally and that is how I responded. It is not just my personal interpretation. In Utah "no guns" signs carry no weight. As a concealed carrier I walk right past them because they can do nothing but ask me to leave and to do that they have to know i'm carrying. Since I am concealed they won't know I'm carrying. If I was asked to leave I would do so. If they do anything besides ask me to leave then they are likely breaking the law. If you disarm to go into a place you can legally carry because they don't like it then you are letting someone with no authority control your right to defense.

You will be less and less worried about what everyone thinks over time. I go to Physical Therapy on a regular basis and had worries about carrying but it was never an issue. Also you would be surprised to find there are probably more people for carry or who are indifferent to it than are against it here in Utah.
Last edited by D-FIN on Mon 01 Jun 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby aaron » Wed 20 May 2015 7:13 pm

OC is much more comfortable and accessible, so when I'm somewhere that I wont cause 50 911 calls I will do it. Any time other than that (90% of the time I am awake) concealed.
aaron
Novice

Postby UCChris » Mon 01 Jun 2015 1:17 pm

I went to an ear doctor and my shirt rode up when I sat in the patient's chair. Didn't even notice and neither did he. Also, when the tech weighed me, he wrote down the weight and then I was like "Hey, minus a subcompact and 13 rounds of 9mm."

He busted up laughing. :crown:

I should mention, you should probably only say something like that when you know the recipient of the comments is pro-gun...
UCChris
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Mon 01 Jun 2015 2:15 pm

aaron wrote:OC is much more comfortable and accessible, so when I'm somewhere that I wont cause 50 911 calls I will do it. Any time other than that (90% of the time I am awake) concealed.

Not sure where your located (If outside of Utah) but you are unlikely to get ANY 911 calls let alone 50. If you want to conceal great that's wonderful just don't blame the reason on other people's likeliness to call the police if they see your gun. Because it is not their perception of the act that you are interpreting as much as your own reaction to not wanting to cope with an actual police call if (BIG IF) it were to happen. Chances are if you OC every day here in Utah it may take you years to even have an encounter with police because of it.

I also conceal most of the time. But a big part of that has to do with work. I have to conceal at work. Outside of work I am pretty casual about it. Lately on the weekends I quite often will end up OC out of convenience for small runs out to stores and such. I also try to stay concealed at the in-laws as they have foster kids who have had bad experiences and you can't always tell what kind of reactions they will have.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Landon1991 » Thu 12 Nov 2015 6:03 pm

I might be one of the few that open carries as much as possible. I work as an armored security officer and feel super comfortable open carrying. I did my research and bought a safariland level 3 retention holster for my 92fs inox. I make sure to practice retention and gun safety exercises every month to keep myself refreshed. I understand it's not for everybody, but I enjoy it. In my 3 years of open carrying. I've had only one problem with a security officer at the Orem mall, which I quickly complied with by never going back. By the way, they don't post signs. Overall, mostly a positive experience and have had many people thank me for open carrying.
Landon1991
Novice

Postby wilzd00d » Mon 04 Apr 2016 7:04 pm

I'm waiting on my CFP to process. My intention is to be concealed in public. Just another face in the crowd, I'd rather not draw attention to myself. I like this discussion. Lots of POVs.
"...and the best is yet to come." :)
wilzd00d
Novice

Postby Flopian » Tue 12 Apr 2016 7:46 pm

99% of the time, I conceal.

But I do, occasionally, open carry in public - especially if on my way to or from the gun range. And when I do, it isn't some diminutive piece like the LCP, LCR, or J-frame. It's a full size option (ranging from P95 to 1911, and from Ruger DA and SA revolvers to N-frame S&Ws).
It's a bit like the "Barbecue Gun" philosophy: If you're going to wear it openly, wear it with pride and make it look good.

In the hills or out fixing fences on family property - almost always open-carry. (Not always, but almost. Sometimes it's better to appear unarmed when running into poachers is anticipated... :roll: )
Flopian
Novice

Previous

Return to Open Carry