Open Carry Sightings

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Open Carry Sightings

Postby bikerdan » Fri 19 Mar 2010 8:40 am

After concealed carrying for almost a year, I finally saw someone open carrying. :thumbsup: I thought it might be fun to see how often open carriers are actually spotted (at least by this group). Then, if the oc'er frequents this forum, they can speak up and let us know it was them. Could be a good way to put names to faces. If you guys have other ideas that could make this work better, speak up! :dunno: Also, if this has been done already (searched, couldn't find), the mod can just delete this post, no offense. 8)

I'll start first. I saw someone at the Smiths in Provo last night. They were carrying what appeared to be a Glock and an extra mag on their left leg. It was a thigh holster. Cool rig! :gun6: He was also wearing an AC/DC shirt. Was it one of you guys?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson --
bikerdan
Novice

Re: Open Carry Sightings

Postby T.M.Ray » Fri 19 Mar 2010 9:14 am

Funny for me, in Syracuse, the door greeters at Wal-Mart have gotten used to me OCing in the store. Although I L-O-V-E my HBE IWB holster, I make it a point to OC around Syracuse. It's my personal mission to make it "common" to see law abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered firearm. I still try my darndest to spot OC and CC folks. :D
"A free people ought to be armed." -George Washington (Jan 14, 1790, Boston Independent Chronicle)
T.M.Ray
Marksman

Postby JoeSparky » Fri 19 Mar 2010 12:02 pm

I got into a longish conversation with some shoppers at Discount Guns and Ammo in Provo yesterday. First time I had been to the store.
Spoke at length with 3 others about my understanding of Utah Concealed carry Law, Utah Car carry, interactions with police when they "ask" for ID while one is NOT DRIVING vs a "DEMAND" for ID, and the Utah GFSZ law. I suggested the get Mitch Vilos's book (salemans said--- "I've got them right over here.") and mentioned both this forum and OCDO.
At the end since I didn't buy anything I apologized to the salesman for getting on my "soap box" in his store. He replied that he liked hearing the discussion....

What started the conversation if I remember right was being asked by one how long I've OC'd and if I'd had any issues with it.
I was carrying my Kimber 1911 Compact Stainless in a Blackhawk Serpa Retention holster strongside and 2 spare mags weakside.

I think I've found a new favorite "toy" store!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby GreenStreet » Fri 19 Mar 2010 12:17 pm

JoeSparky wrote:I got into a longish conversation with some shoppers at Discount Guns and Ammo regarding interactions with police when they "ask" for ID while one is NOT DRIVING vs a "DEMAND" for ID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmyE6_b_xJY&feature=related

Utah Law:

77-7-15. Authority of peace officer to stop and question suspect -- Grounds.
A peace officer may stop any person in a public place when he has a reasonable suspicion to believe he has committed or is in the act of committing or is attempting to commit a public offense and may demand his name, address and an explanation of his actions.

If the LEO can't specifically and with reasonable suspicion name a public offense you have committed tell them bubye. And even if they can name a public offense, you can always say, I'd like to talk to my attorney first (in other words, I'm not telling you anything). I have a lawyer friend, who's number I carry with me everywhere. I've said, when I call tell me to SAY NOTHING. :bat:
NRA Lifetime Member
GreenStreet
Marksman

Postby Shadehawk » Fri 19 Mar 2010 12:36 pm

Saw myself in a store mirror yesterday :P. I did see a guy with a Glock in a thigh holster at The Pie in SLC about a week or so ago

"I finally found a cop light enough to carry around"
Springfield XD SC .40
Proudly Equipped With BLACKHAWK! Holsters and Accessories
NRA Member | Utah CFP Holder | OC Nut
Shadehawk
Expert Marksman

Postby bikerdan » Fri 19 Mar 2010 12:58 pm

Besides yourselves :wink: and those you're close to, how often do you guys spot someone oc'ing? A year seams a long time, but maybe I'm just not paying as close attention as I could. (My wife actually spotted the guy yesterday, I probably would have completely missed him :D).

I asked my wife after she saw him that if she was a criminal and walked in and saw him like that what she would do. She immediately said she'd turn right around and walk out. Just thought it interesting coming from someone who doesn't really talk about it all the time to people. (like on this forum)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson --
bikerdan
Novice

Postby Daeyel » Fri 19 Mar 2010 1:08 pm

Nice grill, BikerDan. Are you a member of the ISAFC?
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby SAMI » Fri 19 Mar 2010 2:16 pm

I saw guy yesterday just off of 400 S.. button up stiped shirt, dress pants.. Looked like a Glock on his belt.. At the same time I saw blonde haired woman, blue jacket, tan pants, Glock on her hip.. She was standing with a guy in a blue shirt, blue pants, a Glock and other things on his belt...

They were all Cops.. The blonde lady I see on the news all the time.
SAMI
Expert Marksman

Postby wicked_chicken » Fri 19 Mar 2010 2:25 pm

I wish more people in Logan OC'd.
wicked_chicken
Novice

Postby UtahJarhead » Fri 19 Mar 2010 2:36 pm

wicked_chicken wrote:I wish more people in Logan OC'd.

Logan is way too hippy to have many OC'ers. ;) I know, I lived there!

More to the point, I think there may still be the stigma that it's illegal. I know it's not, you know it's not, but I can't speak for the rest of the people in Logan.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby wicked_chicken » Fri 19 Mar 2010 2:47 pm

UtahJarhead wrote:
wicked_chicken wrote:I wish more people in Logan OC'd.

Logan is way too hippy to have many OC'ers. ;) I know, I lived there!

More to the point, I think there may still be the stigma that it's illegal. I know it's not, you know it's not, but I can't speak for the rest of the people in Logan.

Logan? Hippy?

Nah!

I'll start OCing once I get a good holster. Maybe I can do that tomorrow...
wicked_chicken
Novice

Postby bikerdan » Fri 19 Mar 2010 3:36 pm

Daeyel wrote:Are you a member of the ISAFC?

I'm not sure what you mean.
-- Thomas Jefferson --
bikerdan
Novice

Postby Daeyel » Fri 19 Mar 2010 4:25 pm

bikerdan wrote:
Daeyel wrote:Are you a member of the ISAFC?

I'm not sure what you mean.

ISAFC - I Swallowed A Fly Club
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby JTknives » Fri 19 Mar 2010 5:39 pm

bikerdan wrote:After concealed carrying for almost a year, I finally saw someone open carrying. :thumbsup: I thought it might be fun to see how often open carriers are actually spotted (at least by this group). Then, if the oc'er frequents this forum, they can speak up and let us know it was them. Could be a good way to put names to faces. If you guys have other ideas that could make this work better, speak up! :dunno: Also, if this has been done already (searched, couldn't find), the mod can just delete this post, no offense. 8)

I'll start first. I saw someone at the Smiths in Provo last night. They were carrying what appeared to be a Glock and an extra mag on their left leg. It was a thigh holster. Cool rig! :gun6: He was also wearing an AC/DC shirt. Was it one of you guys?

That would have been me, i have to get my nightly Vault fix :nilly:. would this be the rig you saw, its my baby and i will be adding a Laser/Light combo that will also be mounted on the leg reg. it has 2 spots for mounting one is being used for a mag and the other will for the laser/light. :)

Fake and Gay
JTknives
Marksman

Postby Scott » Fri 19 Mar 2010 6:17 pm

Is that a suppressor on the barrel? (Duh...). What are the advantages of having that model on it (i.e. what is the real effect) and where can I get one for mine?
Scott
Scott
Marksman

Next

Return to Open Carry