Utah Guns Forum banner

Concealed Carry and Range/Training time

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AmyR 
#1 ·
I have a Kahr PM9 as my carry weapon and spend a bit of time at the range. Practice with one-handed shooting from both my strong and weak side, point and shoot as well as more controlled small target shooting.

That being said, all this training is at the range. The target doesn't move. Neither do I.

I'm wanting to take a defensive pistol class, but I want something good that has the element of surprise so I can gauge what my response time and accuracy would be like in a real world situation. Thankfully, I've never needed to use my weapon for defense, but if the time ever comes that I do I'd like to have an idea of what I should work on now to be better prepared.

Has anyone taken a class like this? Was it all female, or male/female mix? Are the courses worthwhile, or would I leave feeling disappointed?

#2 ·
That is wonderful that you want to get more training! I think "advanced" pistol training is so important and something everyone should do. That being said, there are UCC ladies shoots every month that you can attend for free, and I would also suggest an advanced pistol class. Mark (screen name Moyler here on UCC) teaches really good advanced pistol classes that are open to men and women. The advanced pistol class I took from him had a couple women in the class. In these classes you do a lot of shooting on the move, reloading, malfunction clearing, strong/weak hand shooting etc., and a lot of very practical defensive pistol training. I would PM Moyler and ask him when the next class is.

For other good reactionary shooting, I used to go to Rangemasters in Springville. They have a shooting lane with computer activated pop up steel targets that are great to practice your reactive shooting. It's been a while since I've shot there, but I'm sure they still have them. You can also find some good drills online, and many of the IDPA drills are great ways to train. I hope this info helps a little and good luck!

P.S - I hope it's not bad that I posted in the ladies forum, being a guy and all... :lol:

#3 ·
Moyler's class is a great class! He is an awesome teacher and it was well worth the money. Mark usually posts his classes on the training center. Just as b cart posted I would pm him and ask when he is planning
his next class. :)

#4 ·
Mark doesn't teach classes in the winter, at least not with Brant. Their next class will probably be April or May.

#6 ·
To Amy,
I whole heartedly believe in taking training classes. It helps you to think outside of "range mentality" and more about what you would do in a pressure situation. I also recommend drills at the range and have some one time you. Or compete in speed/accuracy drills.
Mark does a good class and today was our last range time :cry: till Feb. (weather permitting).
We try to do something every 4th Saturday, but the holidays and snow throw a monkey wrench into that this time of the year. Keep an eye in this section for upcoming Ladies Classes.

To BCart, guys are allowed to post here as long as they "tread lightly" and not over take the thread. If you should over take the thread, then you must where a dress next time at the range! :ROFL:

#7 ·
If you don't mind the cold all you asked for can be had on the first Saturday in Dezember, January, February, etc with the Polite Society, too. It will take you about a year to get through all the stuff you can learn with the excellent class from Mark, however, as it is not compressed, but at the same time offers other perspectives and aspects, too, such as a night shoot once a year.

Check out the Utah Polite Society. Utah Polite Society events are scheduled at the Hendricksen Range on the first Saturday of each month. We start setting up at 8:00 a.m., conduct new shooter orientation at 8:30, and start the shooting exercises at 9:00 a.m. We usually finish up about noon with the pistol. Sometimes carbine or shotgun work is added for the willing. The event fee is $12.00. Hendricksen Range is located in Parleys Canyon, east of Salt Lake City. To get to Hendricksen Range from Salt Lake City Drive east on I-80 from Salt Lake. About four miles east of the mouth of the canyon, take the East Canyon exit (number 134). At the bottom of the exit ramp, turn right. Follow the road as it curves left until you come to a gate on your right. The sign at the gate will say PMAA Hendricksen Range. Drive through the gate and follow the road up the hill to the range house. Park on the right side of the range house and take the stairs up the hill. We'll be at the top of the hill.

#8 ·
TriciaDodge said:
To BCart, guys are allowed to post here as long as they "tread lightly" and not over take the thread. If you should over take the thread, then you must where a dress next time at the range! :ROFL:
Ha ha ha! I just got a mental picture of me in a dress running drills :shocked: I would only do that if everyone promised not to post any pictures! Or maybe I just won't over take any threads in here :lol3:

#9 ·
Sadly, I'm in SC so I miss out on a lot of the training opportunities you guys have :( I was lucky on Saturday and found a most excellent intructor that teaches four levels of defensive handgun, so I'm going to start that series I'm January! It's hard to find ranges around here that allow you to practice with a holster or carry purse though, which is disheartening. The closest I found is about 3 hours away in NC. Practicing at home with dry fire is the way I'm going right now, and using snap caps for malfunction drills. The husband and I are going to practice team clearing of the house as well. However, I'm still having a lot of problems with individual clearing the way the house is set up (big disadvantage of open floorplan).

I just got my new carry purse today, so I'm excited. It's a nice gift from the husband :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.