Utah Guns Forum banner

I need some advice

9K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Jesse 8 
#1 ·
So I'm postin this here because I got into a pretty big arguement with my (female) friend about my firearm. I recently turned 21 and my permit came in the mail mid october. My friend recently moved back into town and is new to me carrying. She tolerates it well enough when it's just us but last night we had a text arguement about how me carrying pertains to her sister (who is Eight). As a result of our opposing views I have now been banned from seeing her family anywhere outside of their home which she allows because I disarm there as required by law. She was left with the opinion that I care more about my firearm than her sister and family because I refuse to disarm if I were to meet them in a public place. I asked her what she was really scared about after telling her that statistically speaking she and her family were safer for my being aound while armed, and explaining that I was taking my first (of many) formal training classes this coming april. Her only responce was to ask me if I wanted her sister to be afraid of me if she found out I was carring. I then cited cops and military personel, but they're different in her eyes. One more thing of note....she and her family are from California. So that's not exactly the best sitauation. But I've taken her shooting and she's just fine with guns in a "target practice" setting. Do you gals see any way of changing her mind, or mistakes that I made in dealing with her? Or has that ship pretty much sailed? Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your responces, if I've missed anything please feel free to ask!

See less See more
#27 ·
I would seriously consider whether you are willing to be completely disregarded by someone who refuses to listen or have a serious conversation about a conflict between you two. This is basic relationship stuff (that most people neglect), whether it's about guns or who buys dinner tonight. It's clear she doesn't trust you, but would she be willing to let you prove that you're trustworthy and competent with a gun?

How long had she been your ex? If its a recent breakup, I'd reccomend some time apart anyways. Maybe she needs a little space and that's why she's throwing a fit about the gun?

My main thought is: wouldn't you want your friends to be people that trust you and that you can communicate with?? She sounds like a pain.

#28 ·
She is a pain. She simply can't dissociate me from my gun. She doesn't 'feel comfortable with someone that always carries a gun around with them' and being from cali she doesn't see the need for one in Utah (tho I tried telling her one of the reasons it's safer here is BECAUSE of carriers). Idk....I'll just,keep carrying when it's just us and see where that gets me. I ended things a few months ago so space shouldn't be an issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.