Utah Guns Forum banner

Unarmed sef defense for women??

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MMAgunchick 
#1 ·
I'm in need of a good self defense class/instructor for my wife. She would like to get training very soon. What/who do you ladies (or any dudes lurking) recommend?

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

#2 ·
Training all depends on what you are looking for. The hope would be, of course, that nothing would ever escalate to where personal one on one defense were needed. My brother has been teaching Karate for close to 20 years. He does do one on one sessions as well as teach at the Magna Rec Center. You would be welcome to contact him and talk about lessons, he is very good. He does one on one sessions from his home in West Jordan, if this is not too far to travel and you would be interested his contact info is; Michael Cagle, Bl;ack Angels Tae Kwon Do Academy 801-688-5439.

There is also another class he runs at the Midvale Rec Center if that is closer for you. At the very least this would be a good start for self defense lessons. His prices are very reasonable. There are other options through others on this board for other types of training. Hopefully you can find something your wife would be comfortable with and where the learning environment would be helpful for her so she can learn as much as possible to protect herself.

#3 ·
I've taken Muay Thai and highly recommend it for self-defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai

The classes I've taken taught grappling moves to subdue and how to break out of being subdued along with other offensive/defensive techniques.

#4 ·
I suggest Kenpo Karate. Its mixed fighting so you learn to throw a punch and grapple on the ground, so you're not unable to defend yourself if you get knocked to the floor. The instructor, Mr. Avarell has been in it for about 15 years or so, and is AWESOME! :thumbsup:
Jeff Speakman's Kenpo Karate in West Jordan.
http://www.jeffspeakmanutah.com
Mr. Avarell 801-657-1190

Good luck finding the one that best fits your needs!

#5 ·
I recommend Jiu Jitsu and Muy Thai, together if possible. Many MMA gyms teach multiple diciplines, and locations are all over. Synergist, or more Americanized diciplines, are standard submission grappling and Western boxing.

Certain styles of Karate are Ok, but you don't always get what you are asking for in fight; you may limit yourself depending on who you train with in Karate.

For "unarmed self defense for women", I have used a 6 week series of training, that many clients have really enjoyed. It eliminates the time and cost of belting and other BS the McDojos give you, and teaches fight winning concepts from multiple styles.

I will not disrespect any fighting style, but in real life situations, certain things work, and others do not.

That said, doing anything may help, and doing nothing, leaves nothing.

Best of luck to you and your Gal.

#6 ·
Thank you to those who have chimed in. I didn't even think about Mui Tai, and have heard great things from friends who have trained in it. Mark, I'm glad you chimed in; I looked over your website but didn't see anything listed that fit what I was looking for. When my wife came to me and told me that she wanted to do some self defense training, you were the first person I thought of. I'm very interested to hear more about your 6 week training. My wife's schedule is hectic as she runs her own dance studio... Monday, Friday, and Saturday end up being her only real open days.. Could you email me some more info Mark? jason.goates@ gmail.com

Thanks

Jason

#8 ·
I may be biased but Elite Performance is a great gym. That's Jeremy Horn's gyn for you UFC fans....MT, BJJ, wrestling, cardio. I can't say enough good things about Jeremy and his gym. Well over 100 professional fights, has trained several former UFC champions and is a really nice guy and is great at training folks (obviously).

There are several women who train there so it's not going to be a blood in the water oooooh looky teh purdy lady type deal.

Morning, night and weekend classes for all skill levels. Prices are more than reasonable considering he's far less than other gym's in the valley plus you get the opportunity to train with current and former very well known fighters.

As far as self-defense that works, I can't think of anything that has proven it's worth over traditional martial arts. And I'm not ashamed to say I've been tapped by women before and I'm sure I will again.

I'm pushing Elite but really most MMA gym's in the valley are very good.

edit...that post is very staccato, I apologize it's really busy at work and I keep coming back to add a half sentence here and there.

#9 ·
You're right Elite gym IS very good and they provide a lot for their clientele.

I know I really like Kenpo martial arts, but that works well for me. There are also several professional MMA fighters trained in Kenpo. The studio I go to is only offered on Monday and Friday nights and Saturday mornings, which is hard for some, but I like it. They focus on ground fighting as well as sparing. PLUS its only $69/month for 3 classes a week. Another big plus for me.

That being said, I know everyone is different. Good luck in your defense lessons wherever you go! Its surely worth learning how to defend yourself without being armed. You never know what might happen.

#10 ·
All these are great styles but ultimately it is what will work best for your wife and what is the easiest method to learn. I have got to Elite gym and it is a great facility. My personal choice for self defense though (I have studied BJJ, Judo, Hap Ki Do, Taikwando, MACP,etc) and the quickest one to pick up has been Krav Maga. There is a certified Krav instructor in the SLC area- their schedule didn't work for me when I lived there but the style itself uses your body's instinctive movements for defense. Added bonus- its a great workout too! Check out www.kravmaga.com for information on this style and videos that highlight some of the basic moves. Good luck to you and your wife!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.