Utah Guns Forum banner

Thigh holster problem (TMI warning)

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sarahbn 
#1 ·
I'd like to get a thigh holster so I can CC with skirts on, but I'm also temple-going LDS and I'm having trouble finding one that will work with my knee-length undergarments. I found one that straps around the thigh and suspends from the waist underneath the skirt, and it looks like it would work with traditional panties worn over it. But if I put it over my undergarments then I can't use the restroom (!) and if I put it under my undergarments then I can't draw without removing them (!!) I can wear the one-piece undergarments that have a crotch slit like old-fashioned drawers, but then if I do have to draw from under my skirt, people may see much more than I'd like them to. :shock: The holsters that look comfortable and like they reasonably might stay on my thigh and not become ankle holsters all seem to have suspension straps of some kind.

Any suggestions? If you carry in a thigh holster with LDS undergarments, what brand is your holster and where can I find one?

#2 ·
If they get a flash it might buy you a few more seconds to shoot the bad guy. j/k

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is a holster I found that looks like it'd stay in place: http://www.jrholsters.com/Ladies Thigh Holster.htm
Ladies Thigh Holster Small.jpg

However if you picture the lady trying to use the restroom with the holster in place, maybe you can see the problem. I don't think the leg straps have buckles or velcro, I think they're just elastic and you get into them by stepping into the holster. That means you get out of them by removing the entire thing. I suppose I could do some sewing on it and add velcro to the leg straps... it's just I've got a huge backlog of sewing projects already and I just want to buy a holster.

Attachments

#6 ·
Here is something interesting I found on corneredcat.com

http://corneredcat.com/How_Do_I_Hide_This_Thing/#Thigh

Thigh Holsters

I've met exactly three women who have worn one of these for any length of time. All three were very thin, and all three reported that the carry method was radically uncomfortable. If you have had some success with a thigh-worn holster, please contact me so we can compare notes.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not to sound ridiculous, but what you want is the Galco Tight holster and a good solid "garter belt"..

See these two images:
tomcat_holster_01.JPG

and the actual Galco:
TBH.jpg

Both items are commercially available and I am sure could be combined adequately..

Attachments

#8 ·
#9 ·
I own a thigh holster for times when I wear a dress. I am also LDS and just wear my regular two piece garments. The holster/strap/belt goes over the garments and stays hidden under my clothing (dress or skirt).

The thigh holster is detachable with a strap from the belt. If I need to visit the "little room", I just detach the holster and strap from the belt, then slide the holster (still with the gun in) down to just above the knee.

When I'm done, I just slide the holster back up my thigh to its proper position, and reattach the strap back to the belt. I rearrange my dress to be sure I look fine.

I haven't had any trouble with this type of gear.

Only thing to be sure is that the belt needs to be very sturdy (thicker and wider) and comfortable. I've seen some females who use a thin strap as a belt and that is so uncomfortable (the leg strap will drag the belt down, making it dig into your waist or above your hip. It hurts.)

There are days when I'll just use the bellyband holster for days when I don't want to wear the thigh holster. Sometimes I will wear both if I decide on concealing two guns at the same time, one on my thigh and one on my waist.

Ceicei

#10 ·
DinTex said:
Not to sound ridiculous, but what you want is the Galco Tight holster and a good solid "garter belt"..
That looks awesome but they don't make that holster for my gun, the Ruger LCP/KelTec P3AT. :crying: At least, on that site it didn't list the LCP as one of the models.

I hadn't thought about a SmartCarry, that might be a good one to try. I've had 4 kids so under the belly might be a good place for me to conceal. Stupid question: how do you draw from it? Do you reach down through the skirt waistband, or do you flash everybody?

The problem with a Flashbang (which I want to get anyway just because it's flippin' awesome), belly band, or t-shirt holster is that the outfit isn't always two-piece, and I don't think anyone wants to see me undress completely to draw my gun. This would also be a problem with a SmartCarry since going down through the waistband of the skirt wouldn't be an option in a one-piece dress. I don't mind too much if everybody catches a glimpse of my leg in an emergency, but you really don't want me to have to raise the skirt above mid-thigh. I was thinking of putting the thigh holster just below mid-thigh, since my thighs taper less there. I don't think drawing upwards would be that much of a problem; if drawing from a shoulder holster can be done without getting deodorant all over the gun, then I can probably draw my tiny little LCP from a thigh holster.

I do like that patch holster though, since it's cheap and white and and I already have a sufficient quantity of wide elastic I could attach it to. I could make my own thigh holster out of that and attach a "garter belt," which I could also make, mostly out of stuff I already have. I think I might go with that.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Behold the genius of my creation, the Ghetto Thigh Holster!! :mrgreen:
DSCN0463.JPG

I got a Holster Patch and backed it with a layer of french terry with a bias tape edge, then attached it to an elastic band made from three random pieces of elastic I had laying about that I joined into a single 4" wide band. Velcro underneath the holster part holds the band around my leg. The "garter belt" is another random piece of elastic with elastic straps attached to suspender clips. All of this is stuff I just had lying around, except the velcro and the Holster Patch.
DSCN0465.JPG

It was most stable (and made the least velcro noise when I walked) placed up around this part of my thigh. Also it conceals my LCP much better there. It doesn't print in any of the positions I find myself in while wearing a skirt (walking, seated, etc.) or allow the butt of my gun to bang against the chair when seated, but it means the skirt has to be lifted up pretty high to draw from it. And it means the gun is right between my legs when I'm standing normally. It'll take some getting used to and it probably won't be my first choice of holster, but it'll be nice to have for those few occasions when I'm in a skirt and I can't carry any other way.

So, what do you think?

Attachments

#12 ·
PLEASE - if you ever have to use it (hopefully never)... video-docu is a must! :grinningjester:

Great job. This shows the genius of creativity! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
DinTex said:
PLEASE - if you ever have to use it (hopefully never)... video-docu is a must! :grinningjester:
LOL... I hope you never get to see it in use, because you'll never be the same again. I wore leggings in the picture for the protection of the men on the board, to shield you from the irresistible sexiness of the sight of a pistol on my leg. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.