Utah Guns Forum banner

Questions from a newbie

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dewittdj 
#1 ·
Hi Ladies!

I'm Becca and I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while, but finally got my CFP and figured I should join in the conversation instead of just reading stuff. Being fairly new to firearms, and very new to concealed carry, I do have some questions that maybe you fine ladies could help answer. I'm curious, what is your EDC and how do you carry? I was thinking I would use an ankle holster at work, since I wear flowy dress pants and have a desk job, but other times I would like to carry on the waist. If Sarahbn is out there, I'm curious what ankle holster you use? I'm hoping to get a lot more practice and a lot more comfortable with carrying a gun. Thanks in advance for all your help.

#2 ·
Hi Becca! Newbie here as well. :D

I am still waiting on my CFP, but I practice around the house. My EDC is a Ruger LC9 with the LaserMax attached. Right now I'm using the Remora No Clip IWB holster. It's very comfy and fits me well. I wear it in the 4:00/5:00 position, right above my right butt cheek. I'm trying to get used to having the gun change my "shape" in clothes. I generally wear pretty fitted clothing and the extended pinky grip on the LC9 kind of sticks out no matter how I wear it...I'm working on that though. I think I'm going to look into an open carry holster as well. It's good to have options, right?

#4 ·
I am sorry I missed this earlier. :oops:

As mentioned, there are many options bases on dress, body shape and gun size but I would caution you to think about a few things as you are picking where/how to carry.

1. Where is the muzzle pointed when holstered?
2. How will I safely draw from this position without sweeping myself or anyone else?
3. Am I willing to train on how I will actually draw from this position?
4. Is it a retention style or non-retention?

You are welcome to attend our Sassy Shoots and talk with other ladies about how they carry. There is one coming up this Saturday. And remember, it is a process. Not a one time decision. You are not married to the gun or the holster. :wink:

http://www.thearmedfemale.com

#5 ·
The Armed Female said:

As mentioned, there are many options bases on dress, body shape and gun size but I would caution you to think about a few things as you are picking where/how to carry.

2. How will I safely draw from this position without sweeping myself or anyone else?

You are welcome to attend our Sassy Shoots and talk with other ladies about how they carry. There is one coming up this Saturday. And remember, it is a process. Not a one time decision. You are not married to the gun or the holster. :wink:

Excellent points! I would like to add "Always protect the trigger!" I've seen many ND incidents that could have been prevented by simply using a holster that protected the trigger.

#6 ·
The Armed Female said:
General rule of thumb: The deeper the concealment, the longer it will take to draw and engage the target, and in some cases, you won't have the time or the ability to draw from the deepest of concealment before it is too late.

If it takes longer than 2 seconds to draw and come on target, then I would seriously reconsider where you are carrying, keeping in mind the 4 points that Patty mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.