Utah Guns Forum banner

Gun shopping for my wife

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  gskip33 
#1 ·
Hey ladies, I don't mean to intrude but I thought what better place to ask then a forum full of women...

I recently bought my wife a .38 sp Ruger LCR. The gun kicks like a mule and my poor wife hates shooting it more than a few rounds. She's rather dainty (which I love her for) but I want to get her a gun she can fire regularly to get accustomed to it. What are your suggestions for a dainty lady friendly firearm? One that is still small and relatively easy to use.

Thanks,
Corb

#2 ·
I'm not a woman, but try the S&W Shield if you can find one. My wife doesn't like the LCR either, but really likes the Shield.

Just make sure she gets to pick the gun though. It needs to fit her hands. If you pick one for her, she probably won't like it. :wink:

(Sent from iSnurd)

#3 ·
I use the S&W 9C which is the next model up from the S&W Shield. I like the gun a lot and haven't had a single misfire after 1000+ rounds. That said, I'm a large, tall woman and I find the kick of the 9mm to be all I want to deal with if I'm going to shoot more than a few rounds. if your wife is recoil sensitive you may need to move down in caliber to a round that does not kick at much. Or, if she is willing to carry it, try a heaver gun which will help a lot with the recoil.

I agree completely with Snurd, let your wife choose the gun. You might go to one of the ranges that allows you to rent guns and let her try out a couple of models.

#4 ·
Corb,
How did she go about deciding on the LCR? Does she like the gun OTHER than the recoil?
What rounds are you having her practice with exactly?
Did you try different rounds like cowboy action rounds etc?

What can she handle for at least 5 rounds?

IF she likes the gun then I would suggest using a lighter recoiling round for practice and a stouter round for carry.

There is also the .327 fed magnum round if she likes that revolver. You can fire 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 HR Magnum, and .327 Magnum in a revolver chambered for the .327 fed mag. This gives A LOT of leeway of recoil choices.

Also, you (again if she likes the revolver platform) can go to an aluminum or steel revolver. More weight = less felt recoil. There are always larger and/or softer grips that can be had.

If she is thinking of changing platforms to a auto, then the Beretta bobcat and tomcat have the tip up barrel so those that do not have a lot of hand strength do not always have to rack the slide, IF the gun jams though this can be an issue.

#5 ·
I have the LCP and I've shot the LCR. I agree that it's too much kick for a beginner. The LCP kicks too, but not as much.

I'd take her out to shoot a wide variety of guns and let her choose. She may want a larger gun for carry, maybe a compact. Or a smaller caliber.

#6 ·
Took a female friend shooting for the first time. She preferred the slightly heavier XDm .40 compact over my Glock 17 and 19. She felt the recoil was less noticeable, the ergos were better, and "it looks cooler." She's a Kimber hater though, so take her opinion for what it's worth. No one disrespects my baby! :lol2: I've also heard good things from the ladies about the S&W M&P line.

#9 ·
+1 Though I do like the opinion that was voiced in one of the previous threads. Poster said he'd just keep buying guns till he found something she liked. And then just be forced to keep the left overs :mrgreen: . Also +1 on the ladies shoot in Kaysville. I actually have my wife about 3/4 convinced to go give it a try this spring, and she's never shot a gun. I'm almost afraid to let my Sig p290 go with her for fear she'll like it.

Mel

#10 ·
Corb,

There are many women shooters registered on UCC but they are not as active as the men (as witnessed by the posts :lol: )

I have been working with female shooters for 6+ years and I can say that this is a question that comes up A LOT!

IMO, the real answer is that she needs to try lots of handguns using the proper fundamentals of stance and grip. Many times, ladies come to my events with a gun that they think they hate but end up enjoying it more once we work on the basics. Other times the ladies have a great foundation and try a new gun and realize they have found a much better gun for their situation.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a process, not a one time thing.

Kudos to you for making sure she has something that she is comfortable shooting! :thumbsup: If they do not like/love it, they will not shoot/train with it. If they do not train with it, then they will not be comfortable to carry/use it when needed.

To guychang and Snurd,

Thanks! Just so we are on the same page, I have made the 4th Saturday Sassy Shoots for those that are comfortable to shoot independently as there isn't any formal training, just ladies time at the range.

The NRA Women On Target Clinic on the 2nd Saturday is for new shooters and those that want to have a class on the foundations. Please see my site for more details and class description. http://www.thearmedfemale.com

#11 ·
The Armed Female said:
To guychang and Snurd,

Thanks! Just so we are on the same page, I have made the 4th Saturday Sassy Shoots for those that are comfortable to shoot independently as there isn't any formal training, just ladies time at the range.

The NRA Women On Target Clinic on the 2nd Saturday is for new shooters and those that want to have a class on the foundations. Please see my site for more details and class description. http://www.thearmedfemale.com
Good information to have, I only knew about the sassy shoots. Besides the range fee, what is the cost on the NRA Women On Target Clinic? That is definitely where I would want my wife to start. I could show her the basics, but I think she would benefit being with a group of women.

Mel

#12 ·
quychang said:
Besides the range fee, what is the cost on the NRA Women On Target Clinic? That is definitely where I would want my wife to start. I could show her the basics, but I think she would benefit being with a group of women.
$30 for the NRA Clinic. So as not to derail the OP, please refer to my site or PM for anymore questions. Thanks. :D

#13 ·
Another thing to keep in mind is that women's clothes and physiques are different from men's clothes and physiques, and will play a huge part in their decision of what to carry. Ultimately I chose the LCP because it was easier to conceal with my wardrobe (though I did have to make some wardrobe changes to accommodate carry) and decided to just get used to the recoil, rather than choosing a gun I liked to shoot and trying to carry it. It's tough for curvy women especially to find a place on their body they can carry without the muzzle sticking in or the grip sticking out. I can't, for example, carry even my LCP at 3 or 4 o'clock because my hips are just too big with respect to my waist. And if my jeans waistband is too low I can't appendix carry like I usually do because the grip sticks out all over the place whenever I sit down. (For that I usually ankle carry or use my Flashbang.)

#15 ·
Guns are like bras. Not every women wears the same bra and not everyone likes the same gun. I recently purchased a beretta nano. I am small my ring size is a four. I really like it. But I have several guns and have been shooting for 40 years. I suggest getting her involved in one of the ladies shooting days. I am sure she would get a chance to try different guns and be able to find what features she likes and what she doesn't. Good luck :0)

#16 ·
My wife hates anything bigger than a .22lr. We tried a s&w 442, but the DA trigger was too much for her. She loved the gsg1911-22 and we are planning on getting her a sr22 once we can find a threaded barrel one for cheap.

One problem my wife had (and still has) is her grip. She doesn't have a very aggressive grip and because of that the recoil is much more sharp that is should be. I've tried teaching her, but she likes her way. Just let her pick a gun that'll fit her hand with a not too terrible trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.