Utah Guns Forum banner

Handgun for a Lefty

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Beerfest19 
#1 ·
I am left handed and I am looking for a handgun (open to various calibers) that is lefty friendly and approved. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I sometimes carry an FNX 9mm that has all critical controls mirrored on the left side. A left handed friend of mine carries one as well and loves it. I like the gun, it fits well, and shoots well. Eats most every kind of ammo I've put through it. My only concern is after market accessories, hard to find holsters, but most of the custom makers can build you one. I recommend Jason at ConcealmentSolutions.com His IWB solutions are good, but I love the pit viper OWB which is how I carry most of the time.

Mel

#3 ·
4th generation GLOCKs can have the magazine eject button switched to the left side. Since there are no external bells and whistles that care about handedness, nothing else needs switching. If you are looking for a semi-auto that ejects to the left rather than the right, those are much rarer.

You might also consider revolvers, if those can tickle your fancy.

#4 ·
All the S&W M&P series semi's have the slide stop on both sides of the firearm and a reversible magazine release to accommodate lefthand users. Bottom line, you'll find most popular brands can accommodate lefthand owners.

#5 ·
What does "Lefty friendly and approved" mean?
I'm a lefty. All guns are friendly to me and approved by me!
As far as switching mag releases, etc. to be left-handed, or getting left-handed guns, I personally don't like it. I would hate to develop a habit on say a Glock 17 Gen 4 that has had the mag release moved to the "lefty" side, and then pick up a Gen3 that isn't "leftified" (did I just make up a new word?) and be in a mess. Just simply learn to adapt to the right handed world which us lefties have done since birth and then you can deal with anything. And actually I think there are some things that are easier as a lefty on guns. Lots of people have to shift their grip to drop a mag with their thumb on a handgun, and then shift back to a good grip. Lefties don't have to shift their grip, they just use their middle finger.
As far as handguns go, the biggest thing I actually look for is holsters prior to buying a gun. Sometimes I shop for a holster before the gun. If you stick with the most popular stuff you will be fine.
So if you want to explain What does "Lefty friendly and approved" mean, I'd be happy to give specific answers as a true 100% lefty!

#6 ·
Paul said:
... "leftified" ...
If that hasn't been submitted to the Oxford Dictionary it darn well ought to be!

It looks like it's the name of a blues band and also a font. I'd trademark it if I were you, Paul.

#7 ·
I just thought of another good example of why you should simply use things as designed by the right-handed world. We all use a computer mouse with our right hand. Imagine being a lefty and deciding you are going to use the mouse left-handed. Good idea right? Well just think how that will work out for you the next time you sit down at a computer that isn't yours and the mouse is on the right side.
With guns there very well may come a time when you need to pick up a gun that IS NOT YOURS and use it just as you have trained with your gun. If you have leftied your gun and trained and trained and trained with it and then get in a situation where you pick up a gun that isn't yours, there's probably a 99+% chance it won't be leftified and then all those years of training and practice will be wasted and you won't be able to drop the mag or manipulate the safety, or rack the bolt on an AR15, or whatever you need to do.

#8 ·
I would start by asking, what is your shooting experience? How comfortable are you with pistols? Is it for range use or your carry gun?

I have worked with a few left handed ladies and their situations all varied. Some do as Paul said and just adapt to the gun. Since the size, weight and shape to conceal carry have to be factored in already, to narrow it down to a "left" handed gun can be very limiting.

Some were told to shoot right handed which actually worked out well for a few as they were semi ambidextrous any way and right eye dominate.

Having said that, it took them more time and effort to pick out a gun for themselves as they not only had to try multiple guns but try it both ways to see which way worked out for them the best.

Gun budget aside, remember, you can have more then one or two guns. :D

Come to one of the ladies shoots and try out some of their guns.

#9 ·
jfwright1955 said:
All the S&W M&P series semi's have the slide stop on both sides of the firearm and a reversible magazine release to accommodate lefthand users. Bottom line, you'll find most popular brands can accommodate lefthand owners.
Not true for the shield.

#10 ·
D-FIN said:
jfwright1955 said:
Not true for the shield.
I realized that after I'd published the comment. I own Shields so I should've known better. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.