Utah Guns Forum banner

XD 9mm stuck out of battery w/ live round

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RustyShackleford 
#1 ·
Here's hoping I can get some input pretty quickly...

My Brother-in-law just called to ask if I could help him with his XD 9mm. I only have the Reader's Digest version at the moment, but apparently it failed to go into battery and has a live round about 90% of the way into the chamber, but the slide won't open or close. The magazine was successfully removed.

The live-round situation is making me a little nervous, and without a closed slide, I probably won't be able to flip the takedown lever.

Has anyone run into this before? Ideas?

#2 ·
I haven't run into that, but taking the gun apart with a live round in here would be risky in an XD. You have to pull the trigger to get the slide to come off.

Without being there and seeing it, I would imagine the best idea would be to try to rack the slide. It may be difficult, but it would be much safer than trying to push a rod through the barrel with a live round in it.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#3 ·
Turns out it was a reload that was expanded towards the rear of the case. Racking the slide wasn't working, and from what I could see, the extractor claw was stuck on the rim of the case (when viewed through the magazine well). I used a butter knife to try to pry the claw away from the case to free the slide, and when I couldn't get in between the claw and the central machined rail on the underside of the slide, I moved to try to get it from the ejection port. When I applied a little pressure there, the slide moved to the rear just a hair and at this point I was able to rack and clear the jammed round. After a good cleaning, I'm happy to report the XD appears to be in good health as are myself and my Brother-in-law. :D When and if I can find my micrometer, I'm going to get a measurement on the expanded case, but it's severe enough you can visually see and feel that it tapers larger from the mouth to the rear.

The moral of this story is: Don't let some stranger use your pistol to fire reloads he just happens to have lying around when you're at a public shooting area because you have no idea what kind of quality control he used when reloading.

#5 ·
FrankenHollow said:
Ruminus said:
I used a butter knife to try to pry the claw away from the case to free the slide...
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. ...but, perhaps with a more precise tool than a butter knife. :wink:
What do mean I thought the butter knife was the goto tool of choice for most repair jobs.

#6 ·
D-FIN said:
FrankenHollow said:
Ruminus said:
I used a butter knife to try to pry the claw away from the case to free the slide...
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. ...but, perhaps with a more precise tool than a butter knife. :wink:
What do mean I thought the butter knife was the goto tool of choice for most repair jobs.
Either that or a large hammer...in this case the butter knife was probably the better choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.