Utah Guns Forum banner

Bulk storage?

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  nhraquick32 
#1 ·
How many of you store ammo in bulk? By that I mean just loose in ammo cans but not in any other plastic or cardboard bullet box.

I am not much of an ammo factory right now but someday I'd like to have lots on hand. Right now I have everything in Berry 9mm boxes then 50 cal boxes. Ist nice to be able to see how much I have but if I get to where I have a lot more it seems loose I the ammo cans is the most economical on space usage.

#2 ·
Ever try to lift an ammo can full of loose ammo? I did once, back when .22 was cheap. Boxes and organization are a good thing and keeps the weight down to a manageable level.

YMMV it might not be so bad with larger caliber, never tried it.

Mel

#3 ·
quychang said:
Ever try to lift an ammo can full of loose ammo? I did once, back when .22 was cheap. Boxes and organization are a good thing and keeps the weight down to a manageable level.

YMMV it might not be so bad with larger caliber, never tried it.

Mel
Ya I have considered that well. Mine gets pretty heavy with them boxed.

#4 ·
I figure that if I have enough time to haul and then open an ammo can, then I have plenty of time to carry and open a couple of boxes as well. An ammo can full of loose 9 mm is HEAVY!!! Only good for carting around in my trunk. I once tried to carry 1000 rounds of 9mm on the back of my motorcycle. Big mistake! The front tire didn't want to stay on the ground. I did more wheelies in 500 miles than I have ever done, period.

Hey! Bulk loose pack ammo would make good ballast for my next Great Salt Lake boating adventure. :wink:

#7 ·
I saw those cardboard ones but I don't like the styrofoam much. I like the more compact factory boxes so I have saved a few of those. I buy Berry's clear boxes when I can get them cheap at Christiansen's

#8 ·
I store 9mm in bulk.(these are the smaller ammo size boxes)

Each box holds about. 1200 rounds,and they are heavy. When going to the range we take the small 100rnd cases.

For the 223, I'm a fan of sandwich bags, 100rnd each, but stored in full size boxes. About 900 per can.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since I use a lot of Berry's Bullets, I use the plastic boxes they come in for my finished bullet storage, They hold about 150 finished pistol rounds each or 100 .223 rounds. Slap a load sticker on em, they stack easily, transport easily and the enclosed quantity is generally enough for a range trip.
Oh and one is free with each purchase of 250 rds. or 500 rds of .223. :lol:

I have more boxes than I can rotate through. If I would just stop shooting I could fill all the boxes.

I use the bulk boxes to hold assorted factory ammo for classes I may take.

Ammo Storage (256x192).jpg

Attachments

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
You guys think ammo cans are heavy when full of loose ammo? What would you think of my 2 and 5 gal buckets?

2014-04-26-20.22.11l.jpg

I also learned that 250 rounds of .45 ACP will fit nicely in a 1lb Hodgdon powder bottle. I have lots of these that I haven't had the heart to throw away yet.

Attachments

#13 ·
Do you guys feel that it's better to store ammo loosely in a can, or to keep it in their 50 round boxes?

#14 ·
That was the purpose of this post. It looks like it comes down to weight and how easy it is to move around. My guess is Sam doesn't move his much.

#15 ·
D-FIN said:
That was the purpose of this post. It looks like it comes down to weight and how easy it is to move around. My guess is Sam doesn't move his much.
No, they just go up stairs so I can box them while watching TV. Then again, I box them so I can sell them. My usual storage is 100 round plastic containers that are more durable yet still easy enough to carry to the range. Long term storage is loose in ammo cans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.