Camping trip

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

Camping trip

Postby Hunter_17 » Sun 30 Jun 2013 8:05 pm

Another weekend camping, one night we were sitting around the campfire just talking about old times and as usually a few of us are carrying our side arms and two men walk into to camp around 12.30. I see them coming and I just slip my shirt over my cw 45 to conceal it a little better not knowing what was gonna happen. Well we talk with them for 30 minutes, mean while they are drinking a couple cold ones they were a little buzzed and one ask my buddy , " what you packing?" You could see his whole gun. My buddy than in holster his gun and hands it over to show them and another buddy says " yeah I carry too and hands his glock over to the other visitor. So they talk about guns and I just listen, than they ask if I carried and I hurry and cut my buddies off and said no I wasn't, but I was I just didn't want to pass my gun around with a couple of buzzed guys. Than they left after visiting a bit longer.

So basically I was just shocked by my buddies just handing there guns over to a couple of strangers.

Now I understand that some people like to drink and party and that's fine with me it's just crazy they do it with guns and all.

Just thought I would share.
Hunter_17
Novice

Re: Camping trip

Postby jktseug » Sun 30 Jun 2013 8:18 pm

My concern would be to how much alcohol have they had, did they clear the gun before letting another person handle the gun?

I don't mind people knowing I carry.
"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
Robert A. Heinlein
jktseug
Expert Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 01 Jul 2013 4:48 am

There are so many things that could've gone very wrong as this situation played out and could have ended with a whole different outcome.

alcohol + guns + strangers + loose lips + middle of nowhere = recipe for disaster
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Daeyel » Mon 01 Jul 2013 6:38 am

I hope you gave them what for! Give your gun to a perfect stranger!?

I guess the anti's are right after all. You ARE more likely to get shot with your own gun when you are that stupid.
Last edited by Daeyel on Mon 01 Jul 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby RustyShackleford » Mon 01 Jul 2013 6:40 am

jfwright1955 wrote:There are so many things that could've gone very wrong as this situation played out and could have ended with a whole different outcome.

alcohol + guns + strangers + loose lips + middle of nowhere = recipe for disaster

^^^What he said ^^^

What first came to my mind was that these guys could have not planned a better robbery...And they probably figured after relieving you of your cash as well as your firearms (and maybe your pants) None of you would have reported it because of the immense embarrassment and suckerdom you fell for.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby kdt1970 » Mon 01 Jul 2013 7:37 pm

Daeyel wrote:I hope you gave them what for! Give your gun to a perfect stranger!?

I guess the anti's are right after all. You ARE more likely to get shot with your own gun when you are that stupid.

I agree, I would have told them, If that happens again you can find new camping buddies.
kdt1970
Marksman

Postby simba » Tue 02 Jul 2013 2:23 pm

Yep. Don't hand your gun over to strangers. Especially without clearing it. If I had a backup of some kind I wouldn't have minded handing them a completely empty gun if they really just wanted to look at it. However, this is all before mentioning them being buzzed to top it off...
simba
Novice

Postby Jonny Salsman » Wed 03 Jul 2013 9:59 am

+1

One of my home teachers is from a foreign country and has never handled a firearm before. He saw mine on the desk and asked about it, after triple, quadruple, fithtuple and hexa checking to make sure it was cleared and without a mag i handed it to him. immediately his finger went to the trigger and the firearm was pointed at me center of mass, then head, then the other home teachers center mass. :D Granted he wasn't taking aim, just checking out the pistol but i thought it was funny. I gave him a brief lesson on firearm safety. Guess i should have done that before, but i did not realize he never held one before. Lesson learned, always assume people do not know how to handle a firearm. And when someone has been drinking, assume they think its a hamburger.
Jonny Salsman
Average Male Scholar
Jonny Salsman
Marksman

Postby Liberty Nut » Fri 05 Jul 2013 12:01 pm

Jonny Salsman wrote:+1

One of my home teachers is from a foreign country and has never handled a firearm before. He saw mine on the desk and asked about it, after triple, quadruple, fithtuple and hexa checking to make sure it was cleared and without a mag i handed it to him. immediately his finger went to the trigger and the firearm was pointed at me center of mass, then head, then the other home teachers center mass. :D Granted he wasn't taking aim, just checking out the pistol but i thought it was funny. I gave him a brief lesson on firearm safety. Guess i should have done that before, but i did not realize he never held one before. Lesson learned, always assume people do not know how to handle a firearm. And when someone has been drinking, assume they think its a hamburger.

Remember the four rules of hamburger safety:
1. Every hamburger is loaded.....
If the American people understand the Constitution, freedom can survive a government that ignores the Constitution, because the people can intervene. But if the American people as a whole are ignorant of the Constitution, freedom is ultimately doomed.
Liberty Nut
Marksman

Postby Russ » Fri 05 Jul 2013 3:46 pm

I am a firm believer that no one other than the person carrying should know that they are carrying. Mainly due to the fact that if there is someone with the intent of doing harm their first task at hand would be to take out the biggest threat. Open carrying is cool for showing your gun off and maybe stopping someone clueless enough to not survey the area before they start trouble but other than that it is just putting a big target on your back.
The absolute last thing I would ever do is hand any weapon over to a couple of drunk, sober or any kind of strangers but being that I grew up in Philadelphia I have a natural distrust of most people including half my family !
Russ
Marksman

Postby Jonny Salsman » Sat 13 Jul 2013 7:16 pm

Russ wrote:I am a firm believer that no one other than the person carrying should know that they are carrying. Mainly due to the fact that if there is someone with the intent of doing harm their first task at hand would be to take out the biggest threat. Open carrying is cool for showing your gun off and maybe stopping someone clueless enough to not survey the area before they start trouble but other than that it is just putting a big target on your back.
The absolute last thing I would ever do is hand any weapon over to a couple of drunk, sober or any kind of strangers but being that I grew up in Philadelphia I have a natural distrust of most people including half my family !

Open carrying is cool for showing your gun off? Well.. you may have a point there but i assure you there are more uses than just that :)
Jonny Salsman
Average Male Scholar
Jonny Salsman
Marksman

Postby gravedancer » Sat 13 Jul 2013 7:18 pm

Russ wrote:I am a firm believer that no one other than the person carrying should know that they are carrying. Mainly due to the fact that if there is someone with the intent of doing harm their first task at hand would be to take out the biggest threat. Open carrying is cool for showing your gun off and maybe stopping someone clueless enough to not survey the area before they start trouble but other than that it is just putting a big target on your back.

WTS Flame retardant underwear. You are going to need it.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby Russ » Sat 13 Jul 2013 7:29 pm

gravedancer wrote:

WTS Flame retardant underwear. You are going to need it.

Yeah that may have come out a little harsher than I wanted !! I do however stand by my opinion on the issue of it giving any criminal that sees you open carrying an advantage if he has intent on doing you harm. Taking out the biggest threat would be their first priority.
Russ
Marksman

Postby Jonny Salsman » Sat 13 Jul 2013 7:34 pm

And if 5 people were OCing? then they slowly back away and cry at home. :)
Jonny Salsman
Average Male Scholar
Jonny Salsman
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Sat 13 Jul 2013 8:50 pm

Or just plain find a target that's easy.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Return to Chit Chat