Camper/RV thoughts/experiences/recommendations

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

Re: Camper/RV thoughts/experiences/recommendations

Postby quychang » Fri 30 May 2014 6:19 am

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it's pertinent so I'm going to do it rather than start a new one.

We are now actively shopping for a bumper pull toy hauler in the 23-30ft size range. We specifically need a bit over 14 ft of garage length as our two quads measure 13'10-13'11 when butted against each other. Would obviously prefer to have about 15 ft of garage to give some clearance to door and cabinets. We've looked at Eclipse Attitudes 23ft. with a full 15 ft garage (meh), Pacific Coach works 24ft with barely 14' garage ( nicer build quality but garage is almost a deal breaker ).

Going to continue to look this morning and tomorrow. Have slated to look at Forest River, Jayco, and Weekend Warrior models today. All but the Weekend Warrior are new, but we are watching for used models.

My question to you all, is do you have experiences good or bad with any specific models or makes of toy haulers that would either recommend them or cause caution in buying them? We looked at a used Thor last year and were really unimpressed with the build quality. There was considerable cosmetic damage in a not very old trailer.

I realize basic construction requires them to be built as light as possible and still do the job, so I expect some "flimsy", but I also expect things to fit, with quality assembly. I've seen examples of force to fit windows, doors, etc. and wonder how they ever got past even basic quality control. How about the quality of the factory tires? I've heard horror stories. How hard is it to flip the axles for greater ground clearance? Is it something you'd have done, avoid doing, do yourself?

So I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby JoeRandall » Fri 30 May 2014 9:41 am

The only thing I have for you is flipping the axles isn't to bad if you have jacks, welder, air compressor, and other average tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intermountain Firearm Training
Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor
Utah Hunter Education Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Recruiter
JoeRandall
Marksman

Postby quychang » Fri 30 May 2014 1:43 pm

JoeRandall wrote:The only thing I have for you is flipping the axles isn't to bad if you have jacks, welder, air compressor, and other average tools.

So basically you're saying a partially disabled old man with a set of craftsman tools (very old) and a few odds and ends like a small pancake compressor is not going to be able to handle the job. :lol3: Frankly it's what I expected to hear, and climbing in and out of trailers this morning, I realized we're unlikely to take it anywhere requiring that amount of ground clearance and I don't need the extra hill to climb every time I a haul my fat butt in and out of the the trailer.

Thanks for the info, our search continues tomorrow, with several of the local dealers up in the Ogden/Clearfield area, depending on time, possibly extending to either Logan or SLC. Which also begs the question, "Has anyone had either a particularly good or bad experience with a local dealer?" We know the ones up here, at least by reputation, but would be interested in knowing if there were any to particularly avoid, or approach in the SLC and possibly into the happy valley area.

Thanks for the response Joe, your tidbit is great information, and what I'm looking for.

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Fri 30 May 2014 2:16 pm

quychang wrote:
JoeRandall wrote:The only thing I have for you is flipping the axles isn't to bad if you have jacks, welder, air compressor, and other average tools.

So basically you're saying a partially disabled old man with a set of craftsman tools (very old) and a few odds and ends like a small pancake compressor is not going to be able to handle the job. :lol3: Frankly it's what I expected to hear, and climbing in and out of trailers this morning, I realized we're unlikely to take it anywhere requiring that amount of ground clearance and I don't need the extra hill to climb every time I a haul my fat butt in and out of the the trailer.

Thanks for the info, our search continues tomorrow, with several of the local dealers up in the Ogden/Clearfield area, depending on time, possibly extending to either Logan or SLC. Which also begs the question, "Has anyone had either a particularly good or bad experience with a local dealer?" We know the ones up here, at least by reputation, but would be interested in knowing if there were any to particularly avoid, or approach in the SLC and possibly into the happy valley area.

Thanks for the response Joe, your tidbit is great information, and what I'm looking for.

Mel

I had a really good experience buying a trailer from the Campingworld in Kaysville. Far better than experiences I had with dealers in salt lake.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby quychang » Mon 02 Jun 2014 10:38 pm

Well, it looks like we're ready to pull the trigger on a used Class C motor home. It's a 2004 chassis with a 2005 coachman freelander 3150 floor plan.

It's in good shape for its age, and with a couple of minor tech upgrades, and possibly a car tow dolly, we should be in business.

We mulled over the pros and cons, but in the end creature comforts won out over the more utilitarian toy haulers.

Hopefully we'll get loan approval tomorrow. Thanks to every one that offered their experiences, I hope to avoid some of the pitfalls based on what I've taken from this thread.

I might need to find someone that can duplicate the name graphic and change freelander to freeloader. And of course, I need to find mounting clips to hold my 12 gauge Mossberg either in the wardrobe or under the bed.

Thanks again for the advice!

Mel

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD
quychang
Sniper

Postby FrankenHollow » Tue 03 Jun 2014 8:46 am

dddddd ffffff gggggg hhhhhh jjjjjj kkkkkk
Last edited by FrankenHollow on Fri 29 May 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need a new signature. This one sucks.
FrankenHollow
Sniper

Postby quychang » Tue 03 Jun 2014 2:00 pm

FrankenHollow wrote:It looks like I may be a bit late, but I just noticed your petition for opinions.

My father and my grandfather have had nothing but bad experiences when dealing with Motor Sportsland in SLC. I would stay far away.
I don't know the details, but my father's experience was so bad that he spent $600 getting an anti-Motor Sportsland vinyl wrap for the back of his trailer, so he could 'spread the word'.
Thanks for that, we're going with Blaine Jensen. Had almost exactly what we wanted at a fair price.

Mel

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
quychang
Sniper

Postby Admin010 » Thu 15 Mar 2018 1:01 am

thanks
Admin010
Novice

Previous

Return to Chit Chat