What did I miss?

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 3:20 pm

I have not been on the forum for quite some time, and just recently returned... I notice that this forum seems to be quite...how do you say... lacking? Where did everybody go? Where are all the comments? I remember the days when this thing was quite hopping with so many discussions that I could never keep up.... not it seems like I have to go back 6 months to see "new" comments...

Can someone please tell me what I missed? :)

:?:
User avatar
m&p40
Marksman
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed 02 Jul 2008 8:46 am
Location: Layton, Ut

What did I miss?

Postby Snurd » Mon 23 Jan 2017 3:41 pm

m&p40 wrote:I have not been on the forum for quite some time, and just recently returned... I notice that this forum seems to be quite...how do you say... lacking? Where did everybody go? Where are all the comments? I remember the days when this thing was quite hopping with so many discussions that I could never keep up.... not it seems like I have to go back 6 months to see "new" comments...

Can someone please tell me what I missed? :)

:?:

The forum was sold to a big company who hasn't really bothered to take care of the forum. There have been posts and threads randomly deleted. I haven't seen a Mod on here for a long time. I'm not sure if they all just left, or their Mod abilities taken away. There are some of us still around, but most people left. :crying:

A few of us are trying to keep the discussions going.


Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Re: What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 3:56 pm

That is too bad to hear... after I posted this I did find the post about Paul selling it... Is there a new forum to move to? Or are people just dropping out?

I really enjoyed this forum before. The people were great, friendly, responsive, and generally just nice people.
User avatar
m&p40
Marksman
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed 02 Jul 2008 8:46 am
Location: Layton, Ut

What did I miss?

Postby Snurd » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:01 pm

If this site doesn't get better, and if I have the funds, and possibly the help of other good forum members, I wouldn't mind starting a new one and making it like how this forum used to be. Using donations to keep it running, or if really need be, use only firearms related advertising.

I am not a big tech guy, so I have no idea what it would cost, how to get it going, or how to fix crashes and bugs.

I want the Utah based site to stay that way, and not be sold to a company that doesn't care.


Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Re: What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:10 pm

I am all for helping out. I am familiar with hosting companies and I have set up a few PHPBB sites before. They are pretty straightforward. As far as the costs, I am not sure the load that gets put onto the forum, but I am sure we could find a virtual server that would provide the needed horsepower and bandwidth to run this for about $50 a month...

I think the bigger thing is the maintenance on the system and back end itself, but with the right hosting company, I think that might be a moot point.

Either way, I would love to have it go back to the way it was in the past also.
User avatar
m&p40
Marksman
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed 02 Jul 2008 8:46 am
Location: Layton, Ut

Re: What did I miss?

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:17 pm

We could always opt for a closed group on Facebook? No cost, easy to moderate and control, and an environment that most of us are familiar with. Just a thought.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
User avatar
jfwright1955
Sniper
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun 13 Jan 2013 9:15 am
Location: Marana, AZ

Re: What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:18 pm

not a bad idea... however, we all know how gun friendly Facebook is.... :spit:
User avatar
m&p40
Marksman
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed 02 Jul 2008 8:46 am
Location: Layton, Ut

Re: What did I miss?

Postby Snurd » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:21 pm

m&p40 wrote:I am all for helping out. I am familiar with hosting companies and I have set up a few PHPBB sites before. They are pretty straightforward. As far as the costs, I am not sure the load that gets put onto the forum, but I am sure we could find a virtual server that would provide the needed horsepower and bandwidth to run this for about $50 a month...

I think the bigger thing is the maintenance on the system and back end itself, but with the right hosting company, I think that might be a moot point.

Either way, I would love to have it go back to the way it was in the past also.

That's reasonable. I wouldn't doubt that we could get enough members to help out with that. We did it with this site.


Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Re: What did I miss?

Postby Paul » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:31 pm

I was really hoping that the new owners would take this forum to the next level. A level I couldn't do on my own. But they seem to have just left us to ourselves. As far as getting members to donate and help with the costs.... good luck with that. There were a couple really good members here that helped out financially but they were few and far between. Which is part of the reason I sold it. It wasn't super expensive to keep running, but it did cost some money. Maybe someone can figure out how to get a mods attention and they will look at this thread. But yeah, the participation is way down. I thought the new owners would attract more members and put some effort in. I guess at least we haven't seen a crapload of lame ads show up :)
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
User avatar
Paul
Forum Owner
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Thu 27 Sep 2007 6:09 am
Location: Richmond, UT

Re: What did I miss?

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:41 pm

m&p40 wrote:not a bad idea... however, we all know how gun friendly Facebook is.... :spit:

Actually, I'm on a couple of gun-related Facebook closed groups and they haven't run into any issues. It might be a short-term solution at least worth consideration.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
User avatar
jfwright1955
Sniper
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun 13 Jan 2013 9:15 am
Location: Marana, AZ

Re: What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:50 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:
m&p40 wrote:not a bad idea... however, we all know how gun friendly Facebook is.... :spit:

Actually, I'm on a couple of gun-related Facebook closed groups and they haven't run into any issues. It might be a short-term solution at least worth consideration.


I actually like this idea... I am not familiar with facebook groups too much. Do they have moderation? I think moderation was the key here to keep it friendly...

I just don't want to lose the data again if/when facebook removes gun related groups in general...
User avatar
m&p40
Marksman
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed 02 Jul 2008 8:46 am
Location: Layton, Ut

Re: What did I miss?

Postby Snurd » Mon 23 Jan 2017 4:59 pm

I don't know much about FB groups either, but one thing that may not be there are the subforums. Firearms reviews, chitchat, yada yada. Would we be able to go to a certain spot on the group to find these things, or is it just a list of posts? If we wanted to talk about gun control issues, do we have to wade through all the posts to find them?


Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Re: What did I miss?

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 5:03 pm

m&p40 wrote:
jfwright1955 wrote:
m&p40 wrote:not a bad idea... however, we all know how gun friendly Facebook is.... :spit:

Actually, I'm on a couple of gun-related Facebook closed groups and they haven't run into any issues. It might be a short-term solution at least worth consideration.


I actually like this idea... I am not familiar with facebook groups too much. Do they have moderation? I think moderation was the key here to keep it friendly...

I just don't want to lose the data again if/when facebook removes gun related groups in general...

Facebook groups are very easy to set up. Once created, to access a group you have to request access to see any postings. Non-members can't view the posts so it's quite private. A moderator reviews your request which, I'm sure, includes a review of your posts to see if you'll play nice and, once granted, you have access to the group. Bad behavior can get you kicked off.

You can also create secret groups, but that's probably beyond what we'd want to do.

Facebook only frowns on selling guns. Other than that they let them operator without oversight. Only if there's a complaint will they investigate.
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Mon 23 Jan 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
User avatar
jfwright1955
Sniper
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun 13 Jan 2013 9:15 am
Location: Marana, AZ

Re: What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 5:04 pm

I am setting one up right now to take a look to see what features are there... let me get it set up, and I will send a link to join
User avatar
m&p40
Marksman
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed 02 Jul 2008 8:46 am
Location: Layton, Ut

Re: What did I miss?

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 5:05 pm

m&p40 wrote:I am setting one up right now to take a look to see what features are there... let me get it set up, and I will send a link to join

Cool! :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
User avatar
jfwright1955
Sniper
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun 13 Jan 2013 9:15 am
Location: Marana, AZ

Next

Return to Chit Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests