What did I miss?

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

Re: What did I miss?

Postby m&p40 » Wed 25 Jan 2017 12:56 pm

Paul wrote:People can second guess my decision to sell and wish all sorts of things about how the forum was managed previously. Yes it is true there were people who volunteered to help and were "rebuffed". Its not as simple as some would think however. And not all volunteering truly helps in all situations. For instance having the forum hosted on someones personal server in their basement didn't exactly seem like a safe bet to me when I owned the forum. It is true I didn't "advertise" my desire to sell or seek buyers on the forum. My primary interest frankly was first to get the money back I had paid for the forum as there was an investment there. And that opportunity kind of fell into my lap. And I simply didn't have the time I once did. Second I wanted to sell to someone I thought would improve the forum. I truly thought the new owners would have the experience, resources, and interest to achieve that goal. Clearly they haven't had the interest.
You can't steal the threads or data as some suggested and just move it over to another forum. That content of the forum belongs to the owners of the forum. So you better put that thought out of your mind. Anyone is welcome to start any forum they want anywhere at any time. And enjoy all the headaches and challenges that come with that. I wish those who try the best.
We can continue to hope that at some point the new owners get involved. I just emailed them and suggested they really look at this thread. I hope they do.
And last we can just continue to keep the forum what it is. It isn't perfect. But it's pretty darn good. And there are still a couple of us old timers around that can moderate discussions and still do. As was pointed out by others, many forums are sinking. Participation is down on many. But that doesn't mean this forum isn't still an incredible resource. And why abandon it just because the new owners are not actively involved. I guess I don't see how a new forum is going to be better.
I've seen other forums try to suck people over to new ones. I've never seen it work though. So I suggest we just simply keep the forum as it is and enjoy it for what it is.
There are many like myself that don't post as much as we used to. That doesn't mean we aren't here and don't support it. It may just mean we aren't interested in making the exact same point to the 200th new member asking the same question. Or maybe we don't have the time we once did. Whatever it is I don't see it mattering. The forum is still awesome! Yeah maybe all your super technical geeky forum expectations aren't met, but welcome to life :) And maybe one of you needs to reach out to the new owners and express your interest in getting involved and helping fix the problems. You never know what they will say. So give it a shot. Worse that can happen is things just stay as they are. Which again I still think is pretty awesome compared to the other garbage out there.
Long live ucc.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Paul for your transparency on your ownership. I know it is not always easy to juggle the demands and be able to incorporate everyones suggestions into the site.

I am not opposed to staying here.. and there is some good reason to do so.. and that is the existing content. I hope I didn't sound like I was not appreciative of what you have done, I just really enjoyed the forum banter that has seemingly disappeared.

Either way, I just want it to be the forum it is becuase of the friendliness, lack of trolliness, and all the other riff raff that seems to NOT be here :)
m&p40
Marksman

Postby Paul » Wed 25 Jan 2017 2:45 pm

That's why we all like it. I'm not offended. I don't take offense. And frankly I don't put much stock in what anybody thinks LOL. I have no problem with people having differing opinions. I just added Snurd as a moderator which will help. And I did email the owners about this thread.
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 25 Jan 2017 2:56 pm

Paul wrote:That's why we all like it. I'm not offended. I don't take offense. And frankly I don't put much stock in what anybody thinks LOL. I have no problem with people having differing opinions. I just added Snurd as a moderator which will help. And I did email the owners about this thread.

That's great. He'll make a good moderator. No one better mess with Sheriff Snurd. :sheriff:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby morcey2 » Wed 25 Jan 2017 3:11 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:
Paul wrote:That's why we all like it. I'm not offended. I don't take offense. And frankly I don't put much stock in what anybody thinks LOL. I have no problem with people having differing opinions. I just added Snurd as a moderator which will help. And I did email the owners about this thread.

That's great. He'll make a good moderator. No one better mess with Sheriff Snurd. :sheriff:

I didn't know that his iSnurd device had moderating capabilities. :grinningjester:
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 25 Jan 2017 3:16 pm

morcey2 wrote:I didn't know that his iSnurd device had moderating capabilities. :grinningjester:

:mod: It does now. :) Thanks Paul. :mod:
Snurd
Posse

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 25 Jan 2017 3:17 pm

morcey2 wrote:
jfwright1955 wrote:

I didn't know that his iSnurd device had moderating capabilities. :grinningjester:

It's now an "iSnurd Plus" and includes a deputy badge emblem. :ROFL:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby bumpylight » Wed 25 Jan 2017 3:24 pm

I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see the existing board continue on its merry way as a viable enterprise. Poking at the posting history of several longtime regulars reveals dusty threads with a remarkably high quality of discourse. I did see a great many nicknames that I don't recall ever having seen since I first popped into the board back in 2013 to make bad jokes and to ask about decent places to live in the greater Salt Lake City region, such as the western enclave of Tooele. Quite a few of the apparently cogent regulars from the ancient days of 2008 onwards seem to have taken a powder. :huh:
bumpylight
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 25 Jan 2017 3:46 pm

bumpylight wrote:I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see the existing board continue on its merry way as a viable enterprise. Poking at the posting history of several longtime regulars reveals dusty threads with a remarkably high quality of discourse. I did see a great many nicknames that I don't recall ever having seen since I first popped into the board back in 2013 to make bad jokes and to ask about decent places to live in the greater Salt Lake City region, such as the western enclave of Tooele. Quite a few of the apparently cogent regulars from the ancient days of 2008 onwards seem to have taken a powder. :huh:

I would like this forum to stay around as well. Hopefully it will get better, and we can get more people on here that will contribute. If it goes downhill, there is another forum being made that we can migrate to. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to take the contents of this forum to the other. Though, bringing some of the more recent firearm and accessory reviews may be helpful to a new forum. Plus bringing in a spot for all the gun laws. :dunno:
Snurd
Posse

Postby Aad Geordie » Wed 25 Jan 2017 4:04 pm

Paul wrote:...And last we can just continue to keep the forum what it is. It isn't perfect. But it's pretty darn good. And there are still a couple of us old timers around that can moderate discussions and still do.
And why abandon it just because the new owners are not actively involved. I guess I don't see how a new forum is going to be better.
There are many like myself that don't post as much as we used to. That doesn't mean we aren't here and don't support it.
Long live ucc.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:agree:

Glad to see that Sir Snurdalot is now a moderator—that will surely help.
(although maybe I now have to quit diss'ing him... :angel:

...Nah :taz: )

Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 25 Jan 2017 4:58 pm

Aad Geordie wrote:
Glad to see that Sir Snurdalot is now a moderator—that will surely help.
(although maybe I now have to quit diss'ing him... :angel:

...Nah :taz: )

Geoff.

I'm watching you now! :lol2:
Snurd
Posse

Postby JoeSparky » Wed 25 Jan 2017 5:01 pm

Congrats to the great and wonderful Mr ISnurd....pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! LOL

You don't need to know what kind of device or tool was used to send this
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Fri 27 Jan 2017 12:09 pm

gravedancer wrote:
m&p40 wrote:I have not been on the forum for quite some time, and just recently returned... I notice that this forum seems to be quite...how do you say... lacking? Where did everybody go? Where are all the comments? I remember the days when this thing was quite hopping with so many discussions that I could never keep up.... not it seems like I have to go back 6 months to see "new" comments...

Can someone please tell me what I missed? :)

:?:

Paul decided to sell the forum, without giving any of the existing forum members a chance to buy it or anything else.
New forum ownership never makes an appearance except to randomly delete (without notice) posts that they might find offensive.
Lack of moderation seems to attract forum trolls like a pile of raw meat attracts flies in the summer.
All of the above cause many longtime members to leave rather than deal with the BS.
RIP UCC

Actually he put it out there as an option on multiple occasions but no one ever took him up on it. I was interested but was not in a place to manage it financially.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Fri 27 Jan 2017 12:16 pm

D-FIN wrote:
Actually he put it out there as an option on multiple occasions but no one ever took him up on it. I was interested but was not in a place to manage it financially.

I don't ever remember seeing any of those posts. I must have missed them, because I'm pretty sure I would have tried either pay for it, or ask the group to join in the buy. :cry:
Snurd
Posse

Postby gravedancer » Fri 27 Jan 2017 12:59 pm

Paul wrote:People can second guess my decision to sell and wish all sorts of things about how the forum was managed previously. Yes it is true there were people who volunteered to help and were "rebuffed". Its not as simple as some would think however. And not all volunteering truly helps in all situations. For instance having the forum hosted on someones personal server in their basement didn't exactly seem like a safe bet to me when I owned the forum. It is true I didn't "advertise" my desire to sell or seek buyers on the forum. My primary interest frankly was first to get the money back I had paid for the forum as there was an investment there. And that opportunity kind of fell into my lap.

Not sure what other people may or may not have offered, but the hosting that I offered would have been as a subdomain on my enterprise level account at hostmonster.com, with your own access to your own domain, just like you had when the forum was on godaddy, but with better uptime. Just wanted to throw that out there.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby Doctor Jenks » Sat 28 Jan 2017 11:24 am

Sorry for joining the discussion late. I'd be happy to help out as well. I miss the discussions we used to have here. Even when they got a little heated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat