SLC Library refuses access to 3D printing services

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

SLC Library refuses access to 3D printing services

Postby spenc938 » Fri 08 Jun 2018 9:10 am

The Salt Lake City Library offers low cost 3d printing services to the public. This is a service that I have used before without issue. Recently I submitted another stl file to be 3d printed. Here is a link to a render of the part.

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/f1/ ... atured.jpg

Its two hollow cylinders stacked on top of each other. Nothing more, nothing less. It allows the connecting of two different sized tubes.

My 3d printing request was rejected due to my part being "part of a weapon". After explaining that no, it is in fact NOT part of a weapon, nor is it a weapon accessory of any kind, I was rejected again. I was also told that my part violated the following guidelines.

http://www.slcpl.org/forms/3DPrintingPolicies.pdf

After reading through the link, my part does not in any way violate any of the Library's guidelines.

This seems like a "Kim Davis" type of situation. You have one party trying to do something 100% legal and within guidelines, yet a government employee is refusing based on their private opinions.

I don't really have a specific goal in posting this here, but its something that we could discuss.

Edit: It looks like mine is the first post on the entire site in almost two weeks. That's disappointing. I very rarely post, so I obviously didn't help the situation, but its unfortunate to see the forum die.
spenc938
Marksman

Re: SLC Library refuses access to 3D printing services

Postby Wrangler_dave9 » Sat 09 Jun 2018 8:05 am

I'm still around but I don't have much to post. My life is pretty boring lately. Work, sleep, taking care of the kid, taking care of pregnant wife. I haven't made it to the range in I don't know how long. I've got a Ruger AR-556 that I bought back in November and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, back on topic. It's pretty sad that an employee that is paid to do a job/service for the public is allowed to apply their personal beliefs and ideals and cause hindrances to those they serve.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Just another day in paradise.
Wrangler_dave9
Marksman

Postby spenc938 » Sat 09 Jun 2018 12:39 pm

A 7 month old gun that you haven't shot yet? I got anxious if I have to wait a week.

Yeah. It's even more frustrating that it's a government employee. Those 3d printers were purchased with tax dollars, yet one government employee gets to arbitrarily decide who can use them. The city of Salt Lake is a stain on the Great state of Utah.

I haven't decided yet if I want to try and force this. I don't want to send a "gun owners are jerks" vibe, but I hate that certain segments of society are fighting to make guns taboo.
spenc938
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:21 am

It is pretty lame that they rejected your project. I think this kind of thing will keep happening unless it's challenged, and you go above that persons head. If it's totally legal, they should not be able to stop you from doing it.

The forum here is pretty dead. You are welcome to join us at the alternate site that has many of the people that kept this place alive. utah defensive carry dot com.
Snurd
Posse

Postby Utah_patriot » Mon 09 Jul 2018 3:36 pm

I say challenge it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Zachary
801-448-7574
Utah_patriot
Sharp Shooter

Postby tylosaurus » Wed 10 Oct 2018 1:52 pm

Since it is a public library, it sounds to me like their rule is a violation of the state's firearm preemption law. They would have to have the state legislature pass a law allowing them to not print a gun part.
tylosaurus
Novice

Postby Cinhil » Sat 13 Oct 2018 3:31 am

According to their rules it is okay for them to deny a project;
"3. After the print requests are submitted to the Technology Center, the Library reserves
the right to:
a. Review and approve all materials before printing. The 3D design may be
examined to ensure compliance with this policy and is capable of production.
If there is a problem with the design and/or production, the patron will be
informed of the problem(s) and the change(s) needed before the design can
be printed. The Library cannot guarantee that a print job will be completed
within a particular time frame.
b. Refuse any 3D print request."

With that said, I believe that this is absolutely ridiculous, they are a public resource, being paid fro or tax dollars, and I do not believe they should have arbitrary ability to deny any lawful request for no legitimate reason.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Return to Chit Chat