UCC Photo Scrapbook

This is a place you can feel free to talk about just about any thing you want. As long as it is family-rated of course.

Re: UCC Photo Scrapbook

Postby SBorg » Wed 07 Nov 2012 11:06 am

DaKnife wrote:Hit the grog bowl eh?

Well, more like a grog keg ;)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein
SBorg
Marksman

Postby Paul » Wed 14 Nov 2012 10:28 am

My 10 year-old son Davis, and I got to spend last week in Maui, Hawaii. I hired a guide to take him pig hunting while we were there. We had a great time and Davis made the perfect shot. 145 yards. Perfect shot placement. You should have heard the bullet hit the pig. It was a pretty loud thump. We used the guides .257 Roberts rifle as taking a gun to HI was more hassle than I wanted to deal with. We froze the meat, put it in a cooler, and checked it as a piece of luggage. It is in my freezer waiting to be eaten.
A shout out to Patrick, our guide, who was awesome. Here is his website:
http://www.hawaiisafaris.com/
Attachments
davis pig.jpg
davis pig.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby MisterB » Wed 14 Nov 2012 10:54 am

A good Saturday.
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson
MisterB
Marksman

Postby Paul » Mon 19 Nov 2012 11:49 am

My 12 year-old sons first elk.
He had a cow tag on a CWMU. (Thank you Friends of NRA Auction!)
Attachments
edit elk.jpg
edit elk.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
-Paul
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby smurf351 » Mon 19 Nov 2012 12:17 pm

Paul wrote:My 12 year-old sons first elk.

That's awesome :thumbsup: IMO elk meat tastes better than beef any day of the week.

With that said, I will add as long as it has been taken care of and processed properly. I process all of my own wild game. (have too many times been given commercially processed wild game that had been ruined during processing)
In God We Trust....Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.
smurf351
Marksman

Postby Paul » Mon 19 Nov 2012 2:07 pm

smurf351 wrote:

That's awesome :thumbsup: IMO elk meat tastes better than beef any day of the week.

With that said, I will add as long as it has been taken care of and processed properly. I process all of my own wild game. (have too many times been given commercially processed wild game that had been ruined during processing)

I'm actually processing it myself. Got any hints for me?

***It's already quartered in the fridge.
-Paul
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby smurf351 » Mon 19 Nov 2012 9:17 pm

Paul wrote:
smurf351 wrote:

I'm actually processing it myself. Got any hints for me?

***It's already quartered in the fridge.

No bones, No fat. (It goes rancid in the freezer)

We always double wrap everything, 2 layers of plastic wrap, and then at least 2 layers of newspaper. I just pulled 2 elk roasts from Dec 08' out of the freezer and they didn't have one spot of freezer burn on them. The key is to not allow any air to be in with the meat. If we lived closer we would come show/help you.

When we grind for burger we will get some beef fat to add to it from the meat dept at our local supermarket, you could also get it from a butcher (done that before too). We add quite a bit of beef fat to it, but the burger still cooks up very lean.

My wife will also bottle some. USU extension services has some great resources for that.
smurf351
Marksman

Postby Paul » Tue 20 Nov 2012 7:56 am

Sounds like the plan. I'm picky in the butchering. That's probably the biggest difference between doing it yourself and the butcher. I can decide if I want it in my mouth or not and the iffy stuff gets chucked.
I bought a FoodSaver also and I"m excited to use that.
-Paul
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby tapehoser » Tue 20 Nov 2012 8:51 am

I will never take my meat to a butcher again. My first deer was processed by <name withheld to protect the thieves> and those 35 pounds of meat cost me $200.

Retarded.

I've now processed my own animals and will do it myself henceforth and forever.

Amen.
tapehoser
Posse

Postby smurf351 » Tue 20 Nov 2012 9:55 am

The best thing about processing my own game..............NO SURPRISES.............I know exactly what I am going to find when I open that package up, and if I don't like it, I have no one to blame but myself.
smurf351
Marksman

Postby James » Mon 24 Dec 2012 9:10 am

Might be a litle late for help with your elk, but here is what I have learned about game meat:

First, right after the kill, you must get it gutted and cooled out quickly. More game meat is ruined because this is not done than any other reason.

It is good to age the meat for a week if it can be done in a cool spot. If no such spot is available and the weather is warm, its best to get it cut and frozen soon.

I agree, when preparing for wrapping, no fat, no bones. Simply cut the bones out and trim all the fat.

Slice the meat cross grain once you have the bone out. I prefer to slice most of it for steaks or frying meat. It is ok to have some roasts if you like to cook it that way. I always end up with a bunch of small pieces of odd shapes. I just wrap those and mark them "Stew Meat".

I like to use the white meat wrapping paper. You can wrap tightly with this and the air will be at a very minimum in the package. No freezer burn. You will need some masking tape to tape the end and hold it. When freezing, do not stack it in the freezer, but only one layer deep so it will freeze quickly.

The pressure cooker: you can preserve meat in glass jars and cooking in the presure cooker. The Ball Blue Book has recipes and instructions. You can also use the pressure cooker to cook the fresh meat. It comes out very tender done this way.
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby Dustin WJ » Mon 03 Jun 2013 10:30 pm

I decided to post a few pics from some of my travels.

My wife and me at the White House.

My wife and me on the back lawn of Thomas Jefferson's home at Monticello.

Visiting Thomas Jefferson's grave.

Me outside the U.S. Capitol building.

DELICIOUS pizza at Moose Jaw, which is my favorite pizza place in Wisconsin.

Visiting Doc Holliday's grave.

I met these guys in the mountains of Colorado. On a different trip, I got to see two of these fighting and it was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed!

Anyway, those are just a few that I like.
Instructor at Legal Heat http://www.mylegalheat.com
Utah-certified CFP instructor
Illinois-certified CCL instructor
NRA-certified instructor (Pistol, rifle, personal protection in the home, and RTBAV)
NRA Member
JOIN NRA TODAY and save $10!
Dustin WJ
Sniper

Postby Jonny Salsman » Mon 03 Jun 2013 11:41 pm

divegeek wrote:
FBMG Smithy wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote: right before we openly carried at Temple Square. :shocked:

That is so awsome. :shades:

No criticism of SGT Jensen, who I very much respect, but I think it may not be a good choice. When this happened, utahbagpiper explained over on OCDO the LDS church's role in the current law against carrying in churches, and pointed out that it's not a good idea to give the church further reason to be concerned about guns on their property. They consider Temple Square to be a "house of worship", which makes carrying -- CC or OC -- illegal there. Of course, it seems unlikely that they'd be very successful at making that definition of "house of worship" stick in court, but raising the issue might convince them that the prohibition needs to be expanded.

That would be a bad thing. Given that such a large percentage of Utah's population is LDS, and so many of our legislators are LDS, the church wields huge political power in this state. They're usually extremely careful not to exercise this power, but that just serves to intensify it in those rare cases when they do make a move.

I don't think OC'ing at Temple Square would prompt any kind of significant push from the church, but it's probably not a good risk to take. There's a possibility that we could end up with church carry as a misdemeanor or felony, rather than an infraction, and we could end up with an expansion in the definition of churches -- maybe some sort of "church zone" analogous to "school zone". At the very least, the debate could derail efforts to improve Utah's gun laws.

As utahbagpiper (Charles Hardy, Policy Director of GOUtah!) puts it: Don't wake the sleeping giant.

At least not until there are no other significant battles to be fought.

+1 with the edition of dont EVER wake the sleeping giant.
People seek spiritual reconciliation and deep emotional strength at temple square from all over the world.
Regardless of anyones theological/religious affiliation. Leave Temple square alone. Its not right to do that.
Westboro baptist church protests at military funerals are not right, even tho our constitution protects their actions.
I feel the same way about doing anything like this at temple square.
Jonny Salsman
Average Male Scholar
Jonny Salsman
Marksman

Postby NotOakley » Thu 25 Jul 2013 12:34 pm

First time shooting my LC9.

Trying out the new hunting rifle for the first time. Not a leftie. The pic was flipped. :D
NotOakley
Novice

Postby RustyShackleford » Thu 25 Jul 2013 4:26 pm

Here is one of my son's girlfriend shooting my M1...

yes, might leave a bruise
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat