Who has drawn their gun for protection

• Drawn only

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Drawn and discharged

Votes: 3 11.1%

Who has actually drawn their gun?

19K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  DaKnife 
#1 ·
I've been looking around a little on the forum and I became curious about how many people have actually drawn there gun for protection, weather you have had to shoot it or not. I'm not looking for the "I had a buddy who stories" but if you actually did.

This is just for my own curiosity, no other reason then that.

Thanks

#4 ·
i had mine out when i exited my house once late at night when a drunk guy was yelling on my street and harassing some girls walking... does that count?

#6 ·
I drew mine once, several years ago, while driving across the state late at night. I stopped in a grocery store parking lot to rest for a few minutes. I closed my eyes for a few minutes, and when I opened them, there was a man dressed all in black and wearing a long black coat. He was standing close to my car, just watching me. I pulled my gun out and cocked it, and kept in in my lap. The man continued watching me for a while, and then got in his car and drove away. A few minutes later he came back, and at that point I decided it was best to find somewhere else to be

#7 ·
Actual: 0. Hopeful: 0.

As CCW peeps we can do a lot to mitigate our chances of drawing.

Don't do stupid things, with stupid people, at stupid times, in stupid places.

#10 ·
Like zacharia I've untucked in threatening situations or discretely held on to the handle when a situation looked like it would escalate. Thankfully, they never did.

Matt

#12 ·
Came home one evening to an open garage door. We were fairly certain to have closed it when we left. Drew sidearm and carefully cleared house and garage of any possible undesired. Then had wife enter from vehicle.

#13 ·
I suppose you mean "drawn their gun....because of naughty humans."

Well, that's hard to quantify. I had some idiot kids try to break into my apartment many years ago. I grabbed my pistol from under the bed and yelled at them as they tried to jimmy the window open...they ran just because I yelled. I didn't point it at them or anything even close, it just was at the ready.

I've definitely drawn my .44 Ruger Redhawk while backpacking once. I thought a black bear was trotting towards me up the path...but it was actually a large black free-range cow. It was pretty hilarious actually, once I relaxed a bit.

#15 ·
I have drawn my gun many times at work, and 2 or 3 times off duty. I have not yet been forced to fire at another human, but I have been very, VERY close. The off duty draws were more a preventative measure than a defensively necessary one.

#16 ·
sigmanluke said:
I have drawn my gun many times at work, and 2 or 3 times off duty. I have not yet been forced to fire at another human, but I have been very, VERY close. The off duty draws were more a preventative measure than a defensively necessary one.
Do you have to do paperwork every time it leaves the holster on duty (not counting cleaning!) or is that just movie lore?

#17 ·
I've been with my brother when once he had to draw his, the De-escalation was immediate and we were grateful no further action was necessary. I personally have only ever had to once put my hand on my weapon and firmly state for someone to back down and leave a situation. I had already been assaulted at the time and was grateful I did not have to pull my weapon. No matter who you are being in a situation where you have to draw is a situation you truly never want, but the ability to be able to do so to protect self, family or others is one to be grateful for if ever needed.

#20 ·
UtahJarhead said:
sigmanluke said:
Do you have to do paperwork every time it leaves the holster on duty (not counting cleaning!) or is that just movie lore?
No, that's just a movie thing. At least no departments require that (that I know of). I've had to do some paperwork, but only a few times. It's usually needed when you have your patrol rifle pointed at the head of your suspect from about 25 feet, the safety is off and all the slack is out of the trigger and then some.

#22 ·
Snurd said:
Cleared a house today. A door was unlocked that shouldn't have been. The LCR enjoyed the out-of-holster experience.

(Sent from iSnurd)
For your sake, I hope the LCR was only out long enough for you to clear a path to a better weapon (i.e. the closet long gun).

#23 ·
bltdonahue said:
Snurd said:
Cleared a house today. A door was unlocked that shouldn't have been. The LCR enjoyed the out-of-holster experience.

(Sent from iSnurd)
For your sake, I hope the LCR was only out long enough for you to clear a path to a better weapon (i.e. the closet long gun).
Staying at a friends house on pooch/house watch, so my long gun was a G19 with tac light. I prefer a pistol for clearing anyway. Would have been nice to be closer to the Glock though.

I usually only carry the LCR at work because of how light it is. I tend to switch to the Glockification once I'm home. Not always, but usually.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#24 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. This is kinda what I expected that there are usually better ways of defusing a situation the blasting away, but its always nice to have one around. I think if anti ppl understood that this is how we think that they wouldn't have a problem with ppl carrying.

#26 ·
Drew once when I ran into a cougar (the 4-legged type). Never have had to draw on a person (thankfully).

One day about 10 minutes after my wife left for work, she forgot to lock the front door. I was sitting on the couch, and two people (one woman and one man) opened the door and walked in. When they saw me, they froze for a second and the woman said "oops, wrong apartment," and they took off. I probably should have drawn my gun, but for some reason didn't...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.