Utah Guns Forum banner

Idiots pulled a gun on me today. didn't react how I expected

13K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  manithree 
#1 ·
Well, first, let me say that my reaction was a lot different than I thought it would be... And I've got my flame suit on. I did a lot better in some areas than I thought I would, and worse in some other areas... So, here's the story.

So, I had just picked up some Olive Garden for me and the wife, and was on the freeway driving home. I was going about 70, and all of a sudden, some idiots doing about 50 in the next lane over swerved into my lane a few yards in front of me. I locked up my breaks and hit my horn (hoping that they would swerve back into their lane).

Instead of doing that, as soon as I hit the horn, they break checked me. So I broke again, and switched lanes over, and started to speed up to get past the jerks.

As soon as I got over, and started to speed up, they swerved over again into my new lane while hitting the breaks, break checking me again.

So, I started slowing down even more to put some distance between the jerks. (my exit was coming up and I was now in the far right lane).

They then got over a lane to the left so I thought it was over, and started to speed back up (I were probably doing about 40-45 by this point).

As, I was passing them, they decided to match my speed and the idiot in the passenger seat decided to hang out of the window almost to his waist. One hand holding a silver handgun pointed at me, and the other hand pointing at his gun, telling me how he was going to "F" me up and kill me.

Now here is where I could have done better. As soon as I saw the idiot hanging out the window with his gun, I just smiled and flipped him off with my left hand. And without even realizing it or thinking about it, my right hand had my XD upholstered, sitting on my lap.

By then, I was on the exit, and they were exiting also. Noticing that they were exiting, I thought, "hmm, this might be a problem." but they went left off of the exit as I went right.

I thought about getting over behind them to get their licence plate number, but decided that it probably wasn't a good idea, so I just continued on my way home.

...So now for the critique...

Pros:

-I was a lot calmer than I thought I would be having a couple of wannabe gangsters point a gun at me.

-I didn't react the way they wanted me to react (getting pissed off, or acting like a scared little __)

-Other than flipping them off, I thought that I reacted pretty appropriately... as I was driving home, I was laughing to myself thinking "I bet the last thing they were expecting was for me to smile at them and flip them off when they had a gun pointed at me."

-Muscle memory or "instinct" or whatever you want to call it was good, without even thinking about it, I had my firearm in my hand in case I needed to use it.

-I didn't shoot the idiot hanging out of the window (or show him my gun). Even though he probably deserved it, and it might have knocked some sense into them having someone pointing a gun right back at them, or putting a few holes in them, it could have easily escalated the situation, and of course brought legal troubles.

-I didn't follow them to get their licence plate. Yes, it would have been nice to have them sprawled out in the ice covered ground and arrested, but there was a stop light coming up at their part of the exit... That could have just led to more trouble.

Cons:

-I flipped them off. Yeah, obviously not very smart, but it was just how I reacted without even thinking. I was pissed that they almost caused me to get in a wreck multiple times, that they were acting like ___, and that they had a gun pointed at me... But at the same time, I thought it humorous how insanely idiotically they reacted to having someone honk at them (when they were in the wrong, and I was simply trying to prevent an accident).

-I didn't get the license plate (See above, but I just didn't think it was worth the risk).

Alright... my flame suit is on, so I'm ready for the critiquing.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would have definitely snagged their license plate. If I had a passenger, I would have them write it down. Then I would call the police immediately.

You may have been able to protect yourself had things gone badly, but the next person might not.

I'm glad you are ok, but people like that give gun owners a bad name and need to have some police interaction.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#4 ·
I'll just say you were lucky. A number of years ago, some friends were driving home from the airport to Ogden and around North SLC some idiot pulled along side and put three rounds through the rear door of their car. Thank goodness they didn't have their young child with them. They were so shook up, they simply sped away without sticking around to try for a drivers license number, they did report it to the police when they got home, cell phones weren't common yet. But with a simple description of the car and noticing the shooter was dark skinned, possibly Latino or Tongan, there wasn't much that could be done.

I don't think you handled it badly,with the exception of flipping them off and possibly escalating what was already an ugly situation. I'm happy for you that it didn't turn into a gunfight.

Mel

#5 ·
I have trained myself to give everybody the peace sign while driving. It is really interesting to see peoples faces when you give them the peace sign. I had one guy cut me off, when I was passing them after that I gave them the peace sign. They didn't realize what was going on and flipped me off a couple times. I just kept giving them the peace sign and they realized it and gave me the peace sign.

It makes me laugh, loosens the tension and by the time I get home I am calm and over any frustrations.

I am glad you are home safe. It would be nice if you got the plate, but following them at all would provoke them and showing your gun would have been bad so overall you did a pretty good job. You went to avoid the situation and they kept coming at you. Not much you can do.

#9 ·
You need to report it, immediately! These idiots are going to end up getting someone seriously injured or killed.

My reactions would probably be dependent upon who was in the truck with me.

Worse case scenario, if I were alone and some nut pulled next to me with a passenger hanging out of the car pointing at a handgun held in his hand, then I would have probably executed a "pit maneuver" and let the police sort out the bodies from the wreckage. By braking and quickly pulling left into his right rear quarter-panel, I would have put their car into an uncontrolled slide and roll, ejecting the gun wielder.

In reality, I wouldn't have attempted to pass on the right after the first brake checking episode. The incident would have been captured on the dash cam, to include the plate number and after switching lanes, I would have been calling 911 as I continued to slow and move to the right, following if possible until UHP or local law enforcement arrived en route.

#10 ·
Yeah...Did you call the cops?????? Your gun should have been the first "at ready" and then on your cell phone immediatly. Follow at about 1/4 mile and on the phone immediatly. There was a report of Brandishing in Saratoga Springs with a silver handgun. I know there are a million of those guns, but i'm just saying. If you haven't spoken to the police...you need to do it now. I'm sure you know what type of vehicle. Even without a plate, they can log the call and put out an ATL on that type of vehicle. This prob wasn't the first or the last time they have or will do this. I'm just going to assume you haven't spoken to the police...if you have forgive me...but what would keep you from calling Law Enforcement? Even in shock....Thats the first thing people do.

#11 ·
As many cameras that they have out there on the H-ways, a good motivated cop that really wants to find the perp could probably do it. Note the time, place, a desscription of your vehicle and their's and see what they can come up with.

#12 ·
If someone comes on, no matter how long they've been a member, and says a gun was pulled on them or that they pulled a gun on someone else in self-defense, my smell meter starts wobbling. It's always really convenient when people say "No, these yobs pulled a handgun on me and... what do you mean did I call the cops? Why would I do that? I forgot."

It doesn't hold water to me. I'm sorry if you find that offensive, but I'm not buying it. If you did not call the cops after someone had a gun in your face hanging out of a car window, I call BS.

#13 ·
UtahJarhead said:
If someone comes on, no matter how long they've been a member, and says a gun was pulled on them or that they pulled a gun on someone else in self-defense, my smell meter starts wobbling. It's always really convenient when people say "No, these yobs pulled a handgun on me and... what do you mean did I call the cops? Why would I do that? I forgot."

It doesn't hold water to me. I'm sorry if you find that offensive, but I'm not buying it. If you did not call the cops after someone had a gun in your face hanging out of a car window, I call BS.
I know this is on two different subjects. But in your signature you advocate not talking to cops, yet your posts contradicts that.

Anyways, what are the classic quotes, police are how many minutes away?

In all seriousness, what are they going to do? You're sitting in traffic you make a phone call and you what, wait? Things may or may not be happening to where you can jot down the license plate. You end up with a description of two dudes in a sliver car. Sounds great. So what does a LE agency do, put a little google maps pin on the map of some incident that to them may or may not have really happened?

#16 ·
UtahJarhead said:

That was my first thought too UtahJarhead. I didn't call it out because the last time i did, the member ended up "Crying and running away" from the site. That was not my intention and isn't here either seconding the possibility that this is fabricated. Brandishing is serious, a threat, and not taken lightly by LEOs. What on gods green earth would make you think twice about calling the cops? Step one..gun at ready, step two...CALL THE COPS!!!! Sounds fishy. Time, no exuse. Food get cold, no excuse. Taking someone to the hospital, no excuse. You can call the cops on your way. If they are willing to brandish the firearm, i wouldn't put it past them to use it either. They are dangerous people.

my .02

#17 ·
kris said:
UtahJarhead said:
You obviously have not watched the video regarding talking to the cops. If someone pulls a gun on you, you call the cops.
Yep, just because you post it doesn't mean I'll run out and watch it.

Carry on with your BS meter.
If you comment on a link's content, it should be assumed that you've seen the content of that link.

#18 ·
UtahJarhead said:
kris said:
UtahJarhead said:
You obviously have not watched the video regarding talking to the cops. If someone pulls a gun on you, you call the cops.
Yep, just because you post it doesn't mean I'll run out and watch it.

Carry on with your BS meter.
If you comment on a link's content, it should be assumed that you've seen the content of that link.
I never commented on your link, rather the wording in your signature, which I clearly stated.

Regardless, I'll let you get the last word on this, as it is distracting from the original topic.

#19 ·
The link would explain the difference, Kris, if you were willing to view it. There is a difference between talking to cops and calling cops and you would have a better understanding after viewing the link. It is the difference between self incrimination and reporting.

A similar incident may have occurred within a close time proximity of the OP's incident. Calling law enforcement and making a report would enable anyone tracking the report and similar reports to map the routes and times. If everyone who was similarly involved with these clowns reported the incident, then a pattern would begin to establish itself. Chances are, these idiots are not driving hundreds of miles from home before going nuts. Most likely, it is occurring within a 25 mile radius of their home turf.

I tend to wonder about the accuracy of the original post and question its validity if no report was filed. :raisedbrow:

#20 ·
I am just responding to the initial post.

You did not react badly per say and in all honesty no one can say right or wrong. Some people freeze some cry some run some fight, I would say there is no right nor wrong when someone points a gun at you, everyone will react differently, at least you had some reaction which is what matters.

I would like to say however that I would have gotten a plate and perhaps even tailed them at a far until cops could have arrived on scene and made an arrest. If not your just putting the problem perhaps on someone else, perhaps on a mother in a minivan with 5 kids on board. Your not obligated to, no law requires it, your not obligated to do so and I am not looking down upon you for not doing so. Just depends on what code you live by. I also can say that it would be very difficult to say if when they had a gun pointed at me I might not have opened fire upon them. Legally and technically you have the right to do so.

At the very least though you must report it and give as much intel as you can.

#21 ·
I was in a situation a couple years ago where I didn't have the presence of mind to get a license plate. Now I know to make a point to do that. If a person hasn't thought it out, and planned for it, it is harder to remember when you are stressed and under the gun.

That is the strength of these forums, as it is one of the first things suggested, and can come back quickly when under stress.

#22 ·
UtahJarhead said:

UtahJarhead,

I understand what you are saying, but the fact that he didn't call the cops isn't a sure indicator that the event he described never occurred. I say this because the one time I had a gun pulled on me, I never called the cops.

I was a missionary for the LDS church living in Hayward, CA. A group of what you might call "Gang Bangers" drove up in a car next to us (we were on our bikes) in the middle of a relatively busy street that was in front of our Apartment. Long story, short: They pointed several firearms at us while yelling threats of death and violence at us. This lasted all of about 10 -20 seconds before one of them said "Just ****ing with you man", before driving off.

I realize that my companion and I should have called the cops, but for some reason this is something that just never crossed my mind. We never even discussed it. In fact, the few people I told about it never suggested it either.

In retrospect, I realize that not calling the police was pretty dumb, and I'm not sure why we didn't do it. At the time, I don't think I believed the police would or could do anything about it. We were in Hayward, afterall. However, this doesn't mean it didn't happen. As stupid as it might be, these things go unreported all the time. Hopefully, the op of this thread will take the given advice, and report this. There is still time. :)

#23 ·
No, I understand that. It's just that we have people come on and tell tall tales and people want to LEARN from other peoples' incidents. If you want to present a story, it's *MY OPINION* that you should expect people to say 'Prove it.' It sounds rude and mean, but that's my opinion. I know not every situation like that is going to fit the mold of 'BS' but that's why I said it doesn't sound right.

#25 ·
I understand why you are skeptical. I think it's ridiculous that we have to even worry about somebody making up a tall tales. I'd really like to think that most of the people on this board (meaning the ones who have been around for awhile and have actively contributed) are the type who wouldn't decide one day to make up one of those tall tales. But you are right, it can happen sometimes.

#26 ·
Along that same vein, this is exactly the forum some one in a bit of panic is going to come to after googling for help.

And the exact forum a troll is going to target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.