Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Please post your real life stories where carrying for self-defense has made a difference.

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby UtahJarhead » Wed 29 May 2013 5:10 am

Boxers are bigger animals. The point he was trying to make wasn't so much the breed as the capability of the animal in question. There's a HUGE difference between a Chihuahua and a Mastiff, for instance. Drawing down on a Chihuahua wouldn't have been kosher. A boxer is another story, though.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
User avatar
UtahJarhead
Top Shot
 
Posts: 6570
Joined: Thu 24 Sep 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Ogden, UT

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby quychang » Wed 29 May 2013 6:48 pm

UtahJarhead wrote:Boxers are bigger animals. The point he was trying to make wasn't so much the breed as the capability of the animal in question. There's a HUGE difference between a Chihuahua and a Mastiff, for instance. Drawing down on a Chihuahua wouldn't have been kosher. A boxer is another story, though.

I'll bet you a nice dinner that more people are bitten every year by Chihuahuas than by Boxers. And that would only include reported bites, most small dog bites go unreported.
That said, I probably couldn't kick a field goal with a Boxer, but might get a little dog over the bar.
I probably wouldn't have drawn on a Boxer either, but I wasn't there. As has been stated a couple of times at least, I would have been a lot more concerned about being drawn on.
For every one's sake I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed.

Mel

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
User avatar
quychang
Sniper
 
Posts: 2839
Joined: Fri 20 Apr 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Roy, UT

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby D-FIN » Thu 30 May 2013 12:23 am

If it was a Chow I'd have drawn if it even looked at me funny. I love dogs but I do not count Chows.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sat 29 Dec 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby thenewguy » Sat 31 Aug 2013 2:30 am

Isnt it situations like these that we as gun owners should stay away from? The OP reminds me of that new police video circulating, where the two officers restraining a dogs owner shot and killed the animal because it thought its master was in danger.

Case and point: I feel as thou there are always less than lethal choices in situations like this. Its a dog for crying out loud.
thenewguy
Novice
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon 26 Aug 2013 11:22 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby Maxterra » Sat 31 Aug 2013 8:13 am

D-FIN wrote:If it was a Chow I'd have drawn if it even looked at me funny. I love dogs but I do not count Chows.


X2

Their crazy!
Still got a scar on my middle finger from a friends dog I knew for years, and one day he lunged and got the finger and pulled back and shook. Almost lost it, and broke the bone.

Crazy!
Maxterra
Marksman
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun 18 Sep 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby D-FIN » Sat 31 Aug 2013 1:13 pm

Same for me I had a girlfriend in High School whose family had a chow that they trusted implicitly and after a while once I thought I had been accepted I tried to pet it once and it shredded my hand pretty good. I will never trust another one.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sat 29 Dec 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby Snurd » Sat 31 Aug 2013 2:52 pm

thenewguy wrote:Isnt it situations like these that we as gun owners should stay away from? The OP reminds me of that new police video circulating, where the two officers restraining a dogs owner shot and killed the animal because it thought its master was in danger.

Case and point: I feel as thou there are always less than lethal choices in situations like this. Its a dog for crying out loud.

Just because it may just be a dog, doesn't mean they can't do serious harm, or cause death. Little dogs may be a different story, but bigger dogs can be nasty. Yes, most are nice and cuddly, and you can snuggle up to them whenever you want. However, some you can't even look at without them freaking out.

My now step mom had a blue healer that we are fairly certain was a minion of satan. My brother and I had an encounter with it on many occasions. First time was when we were remodeling her house. This was before she married my dad. We had't even met her yet. We had been to the house many times to work on the basement. She lived in a different state and was moving here. One day she brought the dog and left it there and didn't tell us about it. We ventured inside as usual, and heard a sound that we had not heard in that house before. Pure evil, with a lot of hatred and gnashing teeth.

Luckily we had a jackhammer that we were going to use on the cement floor. My brother was able to get the basement door open enough for me to fly through at mach one while he blocked the path of the psycho dog with the jackhammer. Once I was through the door, he was able to rocket through the door with the giant tool, and close it behind him. It would have ripped up both to pieces for sure.

Later down the road, after many, many, many tries to get the dog to like my dad, he tried to pet the little sucker. He lost part of the pad of one of his fingers, and very easily could have lost the rest of the finger.

I had another experience with a German Shepherd. The thing just about tried to eat me. I reached back for my gun, and the dog must have sensed something bad was going to happen, so it got out of my face and ran away. Had it continued another second or so, it would have been worm food.

So just because it's a dog, doesn't mean it's all fluffy and nice. Some breeds are worse than others, but you still should be aware of any dog that is around you or your kids.
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby jktseug » Sat 31 Aug 2013 3:22 pm

Snurd wrote:
thenewguy wrote:Isnt it situations like these that we as gun owners should stay away from? The OP reminds me of that new police video circulating, where the two officers restraining a dogs owner shot and killed the animal because it thought its master was in danger.

Case and point: I feel as thou there are always less than lethal choices in situations like this. Its a dog for crying out loud.

Just because it may just be a dog, doesn't mean they can't do serious harm, or cause death. Little dogs may be a different story, but bigger dogs can be nasty. Yes, most are nice and cuddly, and you can snuggle up to them whenever you want. However, some you can't even look at without them freaking out.

My now step mom had a blue healer that we are fairly certain was a minion of satan. My brother and I had an encounter with it on many occasions. First time was when we were remodeling her house. This was before she married my dad. We had't even met her yet. We had been to the house many times to work on the basement. She lived in a different state and was moving here. One day she brought the dog and left it there and didn't tell us about it. We ventured inside as usual, and heard a sound that we had not heard in that house before. Pure evil, with a lot of hatred and gnashing teeth.

Luckily we had a jackhammer that we were going to use on the cement floor. My brother was able to get the basement door open enough for me to fly through at mach one while he blocked the path of the psycho dog with the jackhammer. Once I was through the door, he was able to rocket through the door with the giant tool, and close it behind him. It would have ripped up both to pieces for sure.

Later down the road, after many, many, many tries to get the dog to like my dad, he tried to pet the little sucker. He lost part of the pad of one of his fingers, and very easily could have lost the rest of the finger.

I had another experience with a German Shepherd. The thing just about tried to eat me. I reached back for my gun, and the dog must have sensed something bad was going to happen, so it got out of my face and ran away. Had it continued another second or so, it would have been worm food.

So just because it's a dog, doesn't mean it's all fluffy and nice. Some breeds are worse than others, but you still should be aware of any dog that is around you or your kids.


I personally like dogs and have played foster for several. That being said, they can do damage, the little ones can be mean and untrained and even a nomrally good one can snap if they feel threatened or are hurt. One of my dogs sounds very mean and has scared several people but has never had any issues, plus we keep him on leash, and in our control.

A threat is still a threat, no matter what it comes from, a wild animal, bear, dog, wolf, mountain lion etc. or human, dog.

I think that video is a lot different than this.
"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
Robert A. Heinlein
User avatar
jktseug
Expert Marksman
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed 09 May 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby faydee » Sat 31 Aug 2013 6:11 pm

i'm a huge dog lover but i love MY family and My dogs more... I'll put another dog down without blinking an eye if it is threatening me or MY family...
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:45 am

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby JoeSparky » Sat 31 Aug 2013 10:51 pm

faydee wrote:i'm a huge dog lover but i love MY family and My dogs more... I'll put another dog down without blinking an eye if it is threatening me or MY family...

PEOPLE are MUCH more important to me than ANY PET or WILD ANIMAL!!! The "wild animal" part may have MULTIPLE MEANINGS HERE!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper
 
Posts: 2901
Joined: Tue 08 Jul 2008 2:34 am
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby faydee » Sat 31 Aug 2013 11:51 pm

+1 Joe
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:45 am

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby Daeyel » Sun 01 Sep 2013 9:17 am

It would be wise to remember that for many people, their dog IS their child, and they will react to your shooting their canine son the same way they would react if you shot their 5 year old human daughter.

Be ready to be attacked and assaulted.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue 20 Oct 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby Snurd » Sun 01 Sep 2013 10:04 am

Daeyel wrote:It would be wise to remember that for many people, their dog IS their child, and they will react to your shooting their canine son the same way they would react if you shot their 5 year old human daughter.

Be ready to be attacked and assaulted.

It would also be wise to remember that defending your dog with the same lethal force as you would a person is illegal. You can protect a person with lethal force if that force is necessary to stop the threat. You can't do the same if the "person" being attacked is a dog. If a person is being attacked by a dog, and that person shoots the dog, and the owner sees this and shoots the person who shoots their dog, that owner will be going to prison.
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby Daeyel » Sun 01 Sep 2013 10:07 am

'In the heat of the moment' or the 'passion' the other party will not be amenable to reason. It's going to be pure emotion and anger/grief.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue 20 Oct 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Bad encounter. Safe outcome

Postby Snurd » Sun 01 Sep 2013 10:24 am

Daeyel wrote:'In the heat of the moment' or the 'passion' the other party will not be amenable to reason. It's going to be pure emotion and anger/grief.

It doesn't matter. It's still illegal.


(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9873
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

PreviousNext

Return to Real Life Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron