M&P Shield Meets Front Sight Size Criteria

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

M&P Shield Meets Front Sight Size Criteria

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 29 Jan 2015 3:57 pm

My wife and I plan on attending the Front Sight 4-Day Defensive Handgun course in the near future. My wife's most comfortable with her Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm for both size and weight reasons. So, I posed the question directly to Front Sight to make sure her Shield meets the acceptable criteria and is NOT considered a "pocket pistol", which are not allowed due to size restrictions.

Following is my email to Front Sight and Ignatius' response. I thought I'd post this as I know others have voiced the same question and so we now have a definitive answer.

Question to Front Site wrote:Hi:

My wife and I plan on joining and signing up for a class in the not-too-distant future. My wife carries a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield and so we wanted to verify it doesn't fall into the category of "pocket pistol" so she could use it for the training?

Thanks,

John Wright

Front Site Response wrote:Thanks – We do not want “pocket Pistols” because they are too small for training purposes. Draw a 4”x 6” box and measure your gun against it. If your pistol extends beyond the box it is acceptable. If it fits inside the box it is too small.

Ignatius

As it turns out, the M&P Shield DOES meet Front Sight's size criteria -- just barely -- as you can see in this image. :thumbsup:

M&P Shield Extends Beyond 4x6 - 01.jpg
M&P Shield Extends Beyond 4" x 6" Size Restriction
M&P Shield Extends Beyond 4x6 - 01.jpg (34.36 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: M&P Shield Meets Front Sight Size Criteria

Postby D-FIN » Fri 30 Jan 2015 11:53 am

Well that makes it easy to test then
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 30 Jan 2015 12:38 pm

Just to confirm, the following image was captured from Smith & Wesson web site with the dimensions:

M&P Shield Dimensions - Med.jpg
Official M&P Shield Dimensions
M&P Shield Dimensions - Med.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 3595 times

Have to wonder if the size is just coincidentally slightly larger than the Front Sight minimum size requirements or if it was by design with that in mind... enquiring minds want to know. :wink:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby dooradical » Tue 14 Jul 2015 11:54 am

I know this topic is pretty much dead, but I wanted to let you know that my sister in law, and my nephew were both able to use a P238 which does not fit outside the 4x6" box. They just had to call down to Front Sight and ask for permission. They didn't give too much stink about it at all. Overall they are very reasonable, and while they make recommendations they stand behind their motto of "Any gun will do, if you will do." Hope this helps.
dooradical
Novice

Return to Training Center