Online Training -- Is It Legal???

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Re: Online Training -- Is It Legal???

Postby dewittdj » Tue 03 Mar 2015 9:57 am

Got a reply straight from the "horse's mouth": (a.k.a "Paul" at OnlineCarryTraining.com):

Bottom line, all they are offering is a Virginia Non-resident permit.

Hi David,

Thank you for showing interest in our online course. Let me inform you that our online course only allows you to obtain Virginia Non resident permit. You may not be able to get Utah permit since every local sheriff department has its own discretion. However, you can Obtain an Virginia non-resident Permit to Carry Permit to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Utah. You can carry a concealed weapon with the Virginia non-resident Permit to Carry Permit, because Utah honors it as a legal permit. The Virginia Non-resident Permit is honored in 30 states. You may get the detailed list at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to apply for their Virginia Permit.

To apply for your VA non-resident Permit visit:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Non ... ealed.shtm

You can also go to www.vsp.state.va.us/ and on the left side of the page click the link for "firearms/concealed handguns" and then click on "Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits" link.

This will bring you to a page that details the application process. You can begin the application process immediately by downloading their checklist of all the documents that need to be prepared to make your application.

This webpage will give you everything you need to apply. Here is a breakdown of the process:
-Download and fill out the Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit Application and have it notarized
-Get a money order or cashier’s check for $100 made payable to the Virginia State Police
-Have 2 photographs of yourself meeting the requirements spelled out on the Virginia State Police Nonresident Concealed Handgun permits webpage
-Complete finger print cards as dictated in the application checklist
-Have a photocopy of government issued ID
-Have your certificate of completion from Online Carry Training

Send all these documents to:
Firearms Transaction Center
Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Department of State Police
P.O. Box 85141
Richmond, VA 23285-5141

This entire process is detailed on the Virginia State Police website and on the CHECKLIST on the Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits page of the Virginia State Police Website.

If you seek further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Paul

Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby quychang » Tue 03 Mar 2015 4:17 pm

dewittdj wrote:Got a reply straight from the "horse's mouth": (a.k.a "Paul" at OnlineCarryTraining.com):

Bottom line, all they are offering is a Virginia Non-resident permit.

Hi David,

Thank you for showing interest in our online course. Let me inform you that our online course only allows you to obtain Virginia Non resident permit. You may not be able to get Utah permit since every local sheriff department has its own discretion.

An inaccurate answer at that, it sounds like he's got us confused with Oregon. Since when did every local Sheriff in UT have their own discretion?

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Uinta Firearms » Tue 03 Mar 2015 4:34 pm

Virginia nonresident is actually only recognized in 28 states.

Florida, South Carolina, and Pennsylvania are the only red states that go green with a resident permit.

Another thought I had is, why would anybody get a Virginia nonresident permit when they can very easily get a Utah permit from a local instructor? There are so many other options too. Iirc, many sporting goods stores will hold free hunter safety classes. That's good enough for Florida (and 4 hours credit for Illinois).
Uinta Firearms
Marksman

Postby dewittdj » Tue 03 Mar 2015 9:03 pm

Also received a response from Scott, one of the Agent Investigators at BCI.
Hello David

Thank you for the information on this web site. Unfortunately this company chooses to be deceptive in there advertising of the class they offer. The class is for a Virginia non-resident permit that is recognized by the state of Utah. No one in this company is a Certified Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor. I have tried on several occasions to contact Online Carry Training Company but they will not return my calls or e- mails. If you have any more questions please call anytime.

I also sent him a copy of the message that I received from ConcealedCarryTraining.com.

Buyer beware! Like Unita said, why go through the time, hassle and aggravation of a VA Non-resident permit when you can get yours for less cost and faster locally?
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby Snaggle » Thu 05 Mar 2015 8:16 pm

We should buy a url that is close to there's and preach the truth about how Utah's permitting system works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson circa 1776
www.utahccwcarry.com
Snaggle
Sharp Shooter

Postby Korben88 » Thu 18 Jun 2015 3:12 am

This site is a joke. It clearly says "Our course is acceptable to qualify you for the Utah Permit"
That is a bold faced lie.
Utah CFP instructor ~ NRA Pistol Instructor ~ NRA Rifle Instructor

http://www.aegisfirearmsinstruction.com
http://www.facebook.com/aegisfirearmsinstruction
Korben88
Sniper

Previous

Return to Training Center