2015 Defensive Firearms Training - RWPDS

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Re: 2015 Defensive Firearms Training - RWPDS

Postby D-FIN » Tue 01 Sep 2015 12:25 pm

I would have loved to take part but alas the stars have not aligned this season. Kind of bummed but been major busy.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Roach » Fri 11 Sep 2015 6:36 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:Also, just signed up for the Fighting Rifle/Carbine I class on September 19.

Finally I am able to make a day at the range; I signed up for the rifle class! It was painful to miss ADP and a few other shoots, but duty called.

Anyway looking forward to seeing you all on the 19th!

Bill
Roach
Novice

Postby Aad Geordie » Fri 18 Sep 2015 5:29 am

Missed you at the last one Bill!
I'm signed up for the rifle class tomorrow too. I'm really looking forward to it. This will be my first rifle class (it will be the first rounds through my rifle too!).
Weather's looking good. I hope there's a good turnout—Mark and Brant's classes are always excellent.

See you Saturday :thumbsup:

Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 18 Sep 2015 5:44 am

Aad Geordie wrote:Missed you at the last one Bill!
I'm signed up for the rifle class tomorrow too. I'm really looking forward to it. This will be my first rifle class (it will be the first rounds through my rifle too!).
Weather's looking good. I hope there's a good turnout—Mark and Brant's classes are always excellent.

See you Saturday :thumbsup:

Geoff.

My wife, Linda, and I will be there, too. It'll be her first time for the rifle training as well. She'll be using her M&P AR 15-22.

The weather sounds like it should be perfect. As you say, Mark and Brant always put on good, informative, high quality classes so it should be fun day of learning and camaraderie.

Hopefully there won't be any range fires this time to cut into our day of training. :wink:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Aad Geordie » Fri 18 Sep 2015 8:22 am

jfwright1955 wrote:Hopefully there won't be any range fires this time to cut into our day of training

That's why Bill didn't make it last time—he was up the hill having a barbeque :bat:
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby Aad Geordie » Fri 18 Sep 2015 2:22 pm

John, Bill, or anyone else who's done this class before...
Three questions:

1. Are we on the usual range at the right or one of the adjacent, longer, ones?

2. Is the 350-500 round count on Mark's website a typically realistic round count? That seems like a lot of lead compared to the pistol courses, where I typically go through around 200 (+/-50).

3. For the Pistol use on the rifle course, based on:
"A pistol with holster, extra magazine and at least 50 rounds of ammo"
Would I be safe just bringing 100 rounds?

(just trying to keep the weight manageable :raisedbrow: )

Cheers,
Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 18 Sep 2015 4:06 pm

Aad Geordie wrote:John, Bill, or anyone else who's done this class before...
Three questions:

1. Are we on the usual range at the right or one of the adjacent, longer, ones?

2. Is the 350-500 round count on Mark's website a typically realistic round count? That seems like a lot of lead compared to the pistol courses, where I typically go through around 200 (+/-50).

3. For the Pistol use on the rifle course, based on:
"A pistol with holster, extra magazine and at least 50 rounds of ammo"
Would I be safe just bringing 100 rounds?

(just trying to keep the weight manageable :raisedbrow: )

Cheers,
Geoff.

1) We're typically on the same range as the pistol classes. The rifle class focuses on close-range threats and encounters.

2) Well, for me 350-500 rounds is just an appetizer. :-) As a rule of thumb, though, you're safe planning for the same number of rounds as whatever you'd shoot during the pistol classes.

3) 100 rounds for the pistol is plenty for transitioning from AR to pistol exercises. I'll have 150 rounds just in case my trigger finger stutters.

As I'm hauling two sets of gear for both Linda and myself tomorrow I'm also trying to be minimalistic, for me anyway. It's either that or hire a U-Haul for the day. :dunno:

See you in the morning...
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Gonzalo » Sat 19 Sep 2015 9:20 pm

I had a blast during the Fighting Rifle course today. It would have been more fun if my rifle had not been double feeding on every mag, however. So much for the AK platform's legendary reliability.
Gonzalo
Novice

Postby Roach » Fri 25 Sep 2015 2:08 pm

Another great day at the range! Most excellent to see friends and familier faces, and have a day with Brant and Mark as instructors.

Stuff I learned about my gear:

The complicated, multipurpose, six-way adjustable, all-in-one sling I was using might be good for knot tying lessons, but it was "less than optimal" for any kind of rifle work I was trying to do. Besides hanging up on all the hardware and clips, it fell apart twice (who said Wardrobe Malfunction?). I can't blame all my sling fumbling on the strap, but I'm doing dry practice now with a plain one.

The chest rig: In my scenario of earthquake [auto-filtered] with no law enforcement around, (but not total chaos) the veil of civilization would be very very thin. Having an AR in patrol position when making any needed trips about the area would be prudent for defensive purposes, but also a great DFWM deterrent to any creeps with ideas. So then I'm not going to war, I don't need the chest rig. I'll just go with two mags on the belt.

Hearing protection: As Brant said, the muffs would get in the way of the rifle, with the result of no protection. I stuffed some plugs from Brant (thanks), and it happened unless I kept my head far forward. Dog wags tail, I'm getting some low profile units maybe the Ear Sheilds like Mark had, so I can get a solid, repeatable, correct hold on the weapon.

Thanks for a couple of you guys helping with tools when my stock came off and in removing a garbage sight mount from the rail before we started. I'm having a decent tool kit with me always from now on.

Mark said classes like this are a vetting process for equipment, and true that.

Other stuff that seemed to stick to the wall for me:

The idea of going into The Tunnel was good. Everything ready, grip, mind/attention, movement before going into the tunnel. No adjustments to be made after entering, all that was set up first.

Running my gun for a while through different scenarios and reloading needs. Getting fluid with the motions, thinking through the actions before starting, to help eliminate fumbling. Finding the sight picture fast. Only comes with practice.

Trigger reset, what a hoot.

I guess my favorite thing for the day was the transition drill. Heck I just shot off a few endorphins thinking about it : )

Tied for first for best class ever, thanks to everyone, let's do it again soon!

Bill
Roach
Novice

Previous

Return to Training Center