LASR: Laser Activated Shot Reporter Software + Webcam

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

LASR: Laser Activated Shot Reporter Software + Webcam

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 06 Apr 2015 4:20 pm

I'm always looking for something to keep my dryfire practices interesting and challenging. While surfing around the web I came across the L.A.S.R. - Laser Activated Shot Reporter software that really intrigued me, enough that I went ahead and purchased it. Just waiting on the license key so I can install and run it now.

I plan on using it with my SIRT pistol as the software has a really nice feature to track the shot "tail" so you can discern post-shot movement of the pistol as a result of mashing or jerking the trigger, etc. While you can't do that using the LaserLyte cartridge due to its short-duration laser burst I plan on testing that setup, too.

Just curious if anyone on the forum has used the software and, if so, what your thoughts are?

Here's a link to their L.A.S.R. YouTube videos. Looks like you can create just about any type of training scenario you'd like.

As it's a windows-only program I'll be running it in a VMWare virtual environment on a late model MacBook Pro with plenty of oomph so when I post a review of the software I'll also comment on how it runs in that environment.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: LASR: Laser Activated Shot Reporter Software + Webcam

Postby D-FIN » Tue 07 Apr 2015 2:11 pm

I have considered it as well but not bought in to it yet. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Maybe setup a demo sometime.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby quychang » Tue 07 Apr 2015 4:23 pm

D-FIN wrote:I have considered it as well but not bought in to it yet. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Maybe setup a demo sometime.

+1

I looked at the program, and I'm interested. I don't have a SIRT pistol, but there are reasonable alternatives that will convert one of my carry guns for training. Let us know how you like the program, ease of set up, etc. Perhaps a full review?

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Tue 07 Apr 2015 4:23 pm

D-FIN wrote:I have considered it as well but not bought in to it yet. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Maybe setup a demo sometime.

For sure I'll keep you posted.

Not a bad idea setting up a demo at some point once I've got it figured out for those who might be interested. From what I gather you can set it up in "race mode" to simultaneously track up to 9 people for shooter-on-shooter drills using the shot timer to see who won. Be kinda cool if that feature works out as advertised.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 09 Apr 2015 2:24 pm

Got my LASR license key and installation information this afternoon so I can now install the software on my laptop and begin the setup process. :thumbsup:

I'm going to take the opportunity to also reorganize my dry-fire room including swapping out my current target selection for a couple of Thompson B27-IMZ targets along with a few other assorted goodies to improve the experience.

:gun7:

When I post an initial review of the software and hardware setup, hopefully some time next week, I'll include a pic of the room setup as well.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 09 Apr 2015 6:59 pm

Well, the setup's going a lot smoother than I'd anticipated.

As you can see from the pictures below, I have the target array up on the wall, targets registered in the software, and a trial run to make sure everything's registering. While you can't see in the software screen very well, I've used IPSC metric templates over the silhouettes, B-16 type bullseye's over the regular targets above and to the left of the silhouettes, and a B27 style template over the yellow partial target to the right of the silhouettes.

In between the two silhouette targets I've added two special purpose targets. The top one starts the timer or activity, while the bottom one clears the results so as to start with a clean slate. Pretty slick! :thumbsup:

While it's tough to see in the last screen shot, it's showing the "hits" on each of the targets with the shot information recorded on the right side of the screen.

From the initial test I can see I've got some work to do on my grip and trigger pull as I've got a slight shot "trail" indicating I'm pulling the SIRT pistol to the left slightly. I'll blame some of that on the much heavier trigger pull of the pistol as compared to my M&P's... well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :cry:

All pretty slick thus far. More to come in the next few days as I goof around with it some more.

LASR Software 01.jpg
LASR Software Reflecting Target Array
LASR Software 01.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

LASR Target Array 01.jpg
Target Array, WebCam & Computer Arrangement
LASR Target Array 01.jpg (37.52 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

LASR Software 02.jpg
LASR Software Shot Capture
LASR Software 02.jpg (39.21 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

I've got tape on the floor to mark, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 yards from the targets. The webcam's right in front of 3 yards so I didn't want to set a marker there in case I got too carried away during pistol presentation and whacking it.
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Fri 10 Apr 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 10 Apr 2015 4:33 am

Last edited by jfwright1955 on Sat 11 Apr 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Roach » Fri 10 Apr 2015 11:14 am

Great review John ! Your last post with the videos sold me, pretty sure I will order this afternoon.

And hopefully these guys are working on a network model where we could share ranges across the interwebs.

See you soon

Bill
Roach
Novice

Postby Photocell » Fri 10 Apr 2015 12:47 pm

Fascinating! I too want one. What is the cost?
Photocell
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Fri 10 Apr 2015 1:06 pm

http://lasrapp.com/Pricing

Be interesting to know if they would consider UCC an organization that could get discounted pricing ins group buy if enough people wanted to do it at once.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 10 Apr 2015 1:18 pm

On their web site it's $120. I purchased my copy through Amazon for $108. The only downside ordering through Amazon is I had to wait a few days to get the download link and license code via snail mail as it comes on a credit card looking piece of plastic. From the LASR web site I believe it's an instant download.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Sat 11 Apr 2015 10:16 am

For Mac Users

Originally I installed the LASR software in a VMWare virtual environment running Windows 7 on my late model MacBook Pro running Yosemite (version 10.10.3). While the Windows environment was dialed in for "maximum performance", because the two operating systems (Mac OS X and Windows 7) are still competing for resources I found the LASR software somewhat struggling, especially saving target configurations.

So, I installed Windows 7 in Boot Camp and installed the LASR software in that environment. The LASR software ran much better given the laptop no longer had to share and compete for resources between the two operating systems. Given that, I'd strongly recommend running LASR it Boot Camp.

Caution, if you later decide to add Boot Camp to VMWare as a virtual machine you'll likely run into the same issues I mentioned previously so I I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Note - For those of you not familiar with Mac's, on start-up you can choose to either boot into the Mac operating system or, if you have Windows installed in what Apple calls "Boot Camp" you can choose to boot into the Windows operating system. Mac desktop's and laptop's are perfectly happy and content running either operating system natively. (Our next door neighbor bought our old Mac desktop 5 years ago and runs it 100% as a Windows machine.)
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 12 Apr 2015 6:15 am

Roach wrote:Great review John ! Your last post with the videos sold me, pretty sure I will order this afternoon.

And hopefully these guys are working on a network model where we could share ranges across the interwebs.

See you soon

Bill

I particularly enjoyed videos' 12 (seated 360 degree shooting) and 13 (SIRT AR bolt).

I hadn't even thought about replicating the car, restaurant and other seated shooting scenario exercises that Mark (moyler) taught us in his advanced and alumni classes until I saw video 12.

As for the AR bolt shown in video 13 so I can get some quality dry-fire time with my AR15 I just had to buy one of those. It should arrive early next week after which I'll add it as part of this overall review.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 12 Apr 2015 5:00 pm

There's three, optional plugin's I purchased to enhance the LASR software that I think are worthy of consideration:

Target Templates Plugin: Variety of pre-formatted targets with sub-zones for common targets, including IPSC, IDPA, bullseyes, FBI-Q, etc. (With Scoring plugin, you can assign different points or penalty values to the sub-zones for instantaneous and automatic scoring. (Cost - $20)

Target Scoring Plugin: Customize and save points and penalty values for different targets, enforce scoring standards, etc. (Works well with the Target Templates plugin. (Cost - $10)

Quick Save Plugin: Additional options for saving targets and time sheets for later review, including one-click saving, one shot on a special purpose (remote control) target, and saving your target / time sheet to an image. (Cost - $5)

So far I'm struggling to come up with any negatives with the LASR software. It's certainly opened up a whole new dry-fire experience for me. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 13 Apr 2015 9:53 am

Well, the software's proving to be a bit humbling for me:

- Come to find out I'm no Jerry Miculek when it comes to rapid follow-up shots. As the old adage goes, "I can't miss fast enough" comes to mind. Slowing the pace down ever-so slightly has really helped me improve the percentage of good hits on my follow-up shots.

- I wasn't maintaining focus on the front sight as well as I thought I was as evident on the "call target" practices. I found I was having trouble re-acquiring the front sight for the follow-up shots on the next called target. So, I've been working on maintaining focus on the front sight and it's greatly improved my acquisition of "call target" follow-ups. I found I was shifting focus to the target after the shots to see where I'd hit, which disrupted my attention on the front sight. Now I don't shift focus from the front sight until I'm done taking care of the threat and I've shifted to a low-ready position for my after-action drill.
Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, the software pointed out I was pulling the pistol to the left and down ever-so slightly after most shots as evident by the after-shot "trail" the software painted on the screen targets. After improving my grip and trigger pull technique I've seen improvement in that regard, too.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for from the software. While humbling, it's helping me improve my techniques.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Next

Return to Training Center