Any interest in a RSO course? *JULY 30TH*

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Any interest in a RSO course? *JULY 30TH*

Postby Snurd » Mon 20 Apr 2015 6:52 pm

I have a couple people who want to take the RSO course already, but wanted to see if there is interest in the UCC community. I'm hoping to get at least 10 people in the class. I still need to find a place to do the class. Something at a reasonable cost, or maybe somebody's house.

I've been looking at prices within a couple hundred miles of my zip code, and it looks like the prices range from around $80-145. I'll probably start prices at $100 for non UCC peeps, and $75 for UCC peeps. That may change at some point, but I think that is reasonable for starters.

I would like to get one started in the next few weeks. Once I get a good count of people who will be there for sure, I can order the materials.
Last edited by Snurd on Thu 16 Jun 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snurd
Posse

Re: Any interest in a RSO course?

Postby quychang » Mon 20 Apr 2015 9:00 pm

I might be interested depending on the location of the class. I'm curious how the certification carries over. If I pass off a class from you, is that certification good at Wahsatch if I decided to volunteer there, or do they require their own training program?

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Mon 20 Apr 2015 9:28 pm

quychang wrote:I might be interested depending on the location of the class. I'm curious how the certification carries over. If I pass off a class from you, is that certification good at Wahsatch if I decided to volunteer there, or do they require their own training program?

Mel

Not sure how the Wahsatch range runs, but I'm sure they would be happy to have an NRA certified RSO. Not all RO's are certified by the NRA.

Ranges have different operating procedures, so you may need to learn a thing or two at each range you want to RSO at, but there is a lot of good info in the NRA's course that ranges would be glad to have.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Tue 21 Apr 2015 10:39 am

Wasatch and most ranges do not require the NRA certification, that is just gravy to them they will train you their way which is not difficult. I am not sure where you are located but you might consider volunteering at Lee Kay. There are some nice usage benefits for your 8hrs per month of time. They have improved their facility a lot in the last little while and I have nothing but good experiences there.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Tue 21 Apr 2015 10:54 am

My RSO certification good for 2 years right? which may be almost up. Do I have to actually retake the course or just pay a new fee to the NRA? If I only have to pay off the NRA then is there a way help with/audit your class just to help keep things fresh?

Beth might be interested in helping as well she has lots of experience clearing malfunctions for people at Lee Kay now ;)
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby quychang » Tue 21 Apr 2015 11:03 am

D-FIN wrote:Wasatch and most ranges do not require the NRA certification, that is just gravy to them they will train you their way which is not difficult. I am not sure where you are located but you might consider volunteering at Lee Kay. There are some nice usage benefits for your 8hrs per month of time. They have improved their facility a lot in the last little while and I have nothing but good experiences there.

I'm in Roy, so Wahsatch makes more sense for me. I do like the facility at Lee Kay though, and driving down is relatively painless. After I get certified I'll look in to both. Thanks for bringing it up, I knew Lee Kay used volunteers but wasn't sure what the hours requirement was. Break that down into a couple of 4 hour shifts, and be sure to take something to shoot afterwards, or before hand and it would be very doable.

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Tue 21 Apr 2015 11:08 am

quychang wrote:
D-FIN wrote:Wasatch and most ranges do not require the NRA certification, that is just gravy to them they will train you their way which is not difficult. I am not sure where you are located but you might consider volunteering at Lee Kay. There are some nice usage benefits for your 8hrs per month of time. They have improved their facility a lot in the last little while and I have nothing but good experiences there.

I'm in Roy, so Wahsatch makes more sense for me. I do like the facility at Lee Kay though, and driving down is relatively painless. After I get certified I'll look in to both. Thanks for bringing it up, I knew Lee Kay used volunteers but wasn't sure what the hours requirement was. Break that down into a couple of 4 hour shifts, and be sure to take something to shoot afterwards, or before hand and it would be very doable.

Mel

Beth Volunteers there now. I would like to but I'm not sure I can spent 4 hours on my feet. I do shoot for free there when I go with her though. She has been volunteering on Wednesday afternoons and some weekends.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby quychang » Tue 21 Apr 2015 11:14 am

D-FIN wrote:
quychang wrote:

Mel

Beth Volunteers there now. I would like to but I'm not sure I can spent 4 hours on my feet. I do shoot for free there when I go with her though. She has been volunteering on Wednesday afternoons and some weekends.

Four hours would be pushing my limit as well. All I could do is try and see how it goes.

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby glock fan » Tue 21 Apr 2015 11:18 am

D-FIN wrote:My RSO certification good for 2 years right? which may be almost up. Do I have to actually retake the course or just pay a new fee to the NRA? If I only have to pay off the NRA then is there a way help with/audit your class just to help keep things fresh?

Beth might be interested in helping as well she has lots of experience clearing malfunctions for people at Lee Kay now ;)

As long as your certification expired less than 5 years ago, then all you need to do is pay your fees to bring your certification current. Otherwise you'll have to take the course again.
My "favorite" gun is the one I have in my hand when I need it to defend myself.

glock fan
Expert Marksman

Any interest in a RSO course?

Postby Snurd » Tue 21 Apr 2015 3:11 pm

D-FIN wrote:My RSO certification good for 2 years right? which may be almost up. Do I have to actually retake the course or just pay a new fee to the NRA? If I only have to pay off the NRA then is there a way help with/audit your class just to help keep things fresh?

As Glock fan stated, you just need to renew with the NRA. You can register at the link below and see when you need to pay to renew. I'm not sure what their procedure is if you have let it lapse.

Register and print your certifications here:

https://nrainstructors.org/InstructorAd ... Login.aspx

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Snurd » Tue 21 Apr 2015 3:12 pm

You can also check when it expires without registering at the link below. All you need is your last name, if you can remember it, and you instructor/RSO number. If you joined the NRA before getting your certification it will be the same as your member number.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/Instruct ... erify.aspx

You can actually check anybody's certifications if you have their last name and instructor number at that same link.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Any interest in a RSO course?

Postby Snurd » Tue 21 Apr 2015 3:25 pm

D-FIN wrote:If I only have to pay off the NRA then is there a way help with/audit your class just to help keep things fresh?

You and Beth are welcome to join the class. It's always nice to have other perspectives, and a refresher is always good.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Tue 21 Apr 2015 8:39 pm

Looks like I'm good till next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Wed 22 Apr 2015 6:38 am

I figured I should post this for those who don't know what a RSO is. In short, it means Range Safety Officer. But here is more info from the NRA about it.

http://range.nra.org/become-a-range-safety-officer.aspx

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby quychang » Wed 22 Apr 2015 7:47 am

Snurd wrote:I figured I should post this for those who don't know what a RSO is. In short, it means Range Safety Officer. But here is more info from the NRA about it.

http://range.nra.org/become-a-range-safety-officer.aspx

Sent from iSnurd

Darn, I thought it stood for Russian Security Operative. Now I have to think about it. :lolbang:

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Next

Return to Training Center