The Pillow Trick

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

The Pillow Trick

Postby Roach » Tue 05 May 2015 7:36 pm

Have you seen this video from Jerry Miculek? The pillow trick. This may be critical knowledge for some home defense scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMeTlXsXC8

I want to record it with the shotgun, but I don't think Doug's will let me try it there. Next time I get to a somewhat open range, I'm taking the pillow, video camera and the guns.

Regards to all,

Bill
Roach
Novice

Re: The Pillow Trick

Postby manithree » Tue 05 May 2015 7:51 pm

Anybody know if that's against federal law? I don't know the legal definition of a silencer or suppressor.
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby quychang » Tue 05 May 2015 8:04 pm

manithree wrote:Anybody know if that's against federal law? I don't know the legal definition of a silencer or suppressor.

Put the pillow down, and slowly back away.

I always thought pillows were meant to be used by wives to silence snores. At least that's what they've told me when I've awoken with that silencer in place. Other than that, though it did work better than I would have expected, it does seem like a waste of a perfectly good pillow.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby J_dazzle23 » Tue 05 May 2015 9:41 pm

I remember seeing a scene in "shooter" where he suppresses a small caliber rifle with a water bottle. After doing some research, I think it may actually work! It's always something I've wanted to try
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Tue 05 May 2015 10:07 pm

Jerry's videos are always fun to watch. Hooooooooo!
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Sat 09 May 2015 8:30 pm

Jerry's a pro and very down to earth, though Jerry's ammo shelf needs some reorganizing (see end of the clip).
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby Roach » Fri 22 May 2015 9:33 am

Here is the field report for the recent pillow trick test. It was held in a secret location and we were all blindfolded and driven in circles so no one will be able to tell exactly where we were.

We covered a lot of scientific ground, but the testing methods need to be refined a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtp6IdEqis

Keeping the muzzle tucked in the stuffing is key. The first shotgun shot was off the pillow had little noise reduction effect. Second shotgun blast was quieter, but the pillow moved away from the muzzle. Next test we will restrain the pillow. John's pistol shot demonstrated the effect of proper pillow restraint. I wonder how many of us really practice proper pillow restraint.

Btw it really wasn't my wife's pillow, but after seeing this she went on a mini shopping spree for new ones. Well worth a great day at the range.

Thanks to Brant and John and regards to all,

Bill
Roach
Novice

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 22 May 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks for posting that, Bill. An interesting experiment for sure. I still don't buy that wasn't your wife's pillow, though. :wink:

I'm not sure if the video fully captured the audible differences, but enough to get the idea. If I'd have thought, I've got a dB app on my iPhone I should've used to substantiate the difference. Oh well. We'll just have to repeat the experiment sometime so we can more definitively document the difference with it. We'll also have to buy pillows in bulk so we can try a few other firearms and calibers. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby AlanM » Sat 23 May 2015 1:52 am

manithree wrote:Anybody know if that's against federal law? I don't know the legal definition of a silencer or suppressor.

OMG!! Don't give the Bureau of A [Edited by mod. -Don]That Fear Everything any ideas!!!

They once defined a shoestring as a machinegun.

Do you REALLY want to spend $200 and wait 6 months just so you can get permission to buy and possess a new fiber filled bed pillow from WalMart?
Not to mention what you would have to go through to take a pillow with you in your car on a cross country trip!!!
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby JoeSparky » Sun 24 May 2015 6:41 pm

To fillow up on alanM's post---- it aint illegal or even a silencer until you intend to use it then ---- how many pillows you got in your house? That is the number of "constructive" violations they'll tag you with forthe silencer possession but this doesnt include the makings tax violations for each time you wrapped said pillow aboutthe barrel even if you never pulled the trigger!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby muddy » Mon 25 May 2015 7:37 pm

J_dazzle23 wrote:I remember seeing a scene in "shooter" where he suppresses a small caliber rifle with a water bottle. After doing some research, I think it may actually work! It's always something I've wanted to try

I have heard that a plastic water bottle stuffed with some cotton balls and a trail poked through the cotton makes a great silencer for a 22. Thats what I have heard and all I'm saying.
muddy
Marksman

Return to Training Center