Utah BCI - CFP Instructors Test - must pass with 80%

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Utah BCI - CFP Instructors Test - must pass with 80%

Postby dewittdj » Tue 13 Oct 2015 4:05 pm

From the BCI Website:

Concealed Firearm Instructor Updates and Reminders
August 12, 2015
1. Effective August 11, 2015 Minnesota no longer honors the Utah concealed firearm permit.

June 9, 2015
1. The concealed firearm permit application has been updated with non-substantive changes and posted on the website.

April 8, 2015
2. The application fees have recently changed. The Utah resident concealed firearm permit application fee is $39.00. The non-resident concealed firearm permit application fee is $49.00. Please discard all old/outdated applications, using only the current application. The minimum training curriculum has been updated to reflect the new application fees.
3. Individuals who attend the Utah concealed firearm instructor course taught by the Bureau of Criminal Identification Staff are required by statute to complete a test at the completion of the course. Starting April 2015, attendees will be required to take a closed book thirty five question test and score at least an 80% in order to pass the course.

I'm attending the instructors course to renew my permit this weekend. This will be the first time that I've attended where they've administered a closed book test. It should be interesting to see how it goes.

Anyone taken this test yet? How was it? Any advice?
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Re: Utah BCI - CFP Instructors Test - must pass with 80%

Postby Creek » Wed 14 Oct 2015 7:21 am

I am 100% behind administering the test. I live in a small area with about nine instructors. Some of the stories I hear, the information given is so far off. It's why I became a instructor after attending my ex-wife class with her. A police officer was the instructor and was telling the class they couldn't carry in schools, carrying your firearm in your car loaded off body was illegal and more. She was ripping the hair out of my arms everytime I questioned him.
I'm sure you'll have no problem.
Instructor:
NRA Basic Pistol
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Utah CFP
NRA Personal Protection In The home
NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home
Creek
Marksman

Postby bumpylight » Wed 14 Oct 2015 9:31 am

It would be interesting to understand the impetus behind this legal change and how it affects out-of-state permit holders. Does this test apply only to instructors? I'd also be interested in hearing back on how difficult it was to pass this closed-book test and which questions posed the most risk to a healthy head of hair.
bumpylight
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 14 Oct 2015 12:06 pm

bumpylight wrote:It would be interesting to understand the impetus behind this legal change and how it affects out-of-state permit holders. Does this test apply only to instructors? I'd also be interested in hearing back on how difficult it was to pass this closed-book test and which questions posed the most risk to a healthy head of hair.

The OP says it's an Instructor test.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby bumpylight » Wed 14 Oct 2015 12:30 pm

Yes, thank you, but the apparent motivations behind such specific legal changes typically will encompass other changes, some of which might more directly affect ordinary permit holders. Lawmakers and regulators rarely restrain themselves when they turn their thoughts to new requirements. Perhaps I should have taken more care with my wording. :wink:

Snurd wrote:The OP says it's an Instructor test.
bumpylight
Marksman

Postby Paul » Sat 17 Oct 2015 12:38 pm

The test is a snap. No worries.
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby dewittdj » Sat 17 Oct 2015 8:35 pm

Took the test today during my 3rd CFP Instructor Renewal training in SLC.

35 questions. All of which are covered during the presentations prior to the test. If you pay attention to what is being presented, then you won't have any problems with the test. If you have been teaching on a regular basis, you could most likely breeze through the test without any major problems. There are a couple of questions that go into specific details concerning BCI's policies, but, again, the material is discussed during the presentations prior to the test.

We had nearly as many folks from out of state as we did Utah residents. The greatest proportion came from Illinois.

The Utah permit process is still going strong.
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby Creek » Tue 20 Oct 2015 12:36 pm

Did they have the. Creamy awsome maple bars? Loved those. Wish I knew where to get them. Cops really do know where the best donuts are
Instructor:
NRA Basic Pistol
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Utah CFP
NRA Personal Protection In The home
NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home
Creek
Marksman

Postby dewittdj » Tue 20 Oct 2015 7:11 pm

Yes, they had them along with plenty of soft drinks, water, and veggies trays. There wasn't any lack of snacks or drinks. :thumbsup:
dewittdj
Top Shot

Return to Training Center