2016 Realworld PDS Schedule

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Re: 2016 Realworld PDS Schedule

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 24 Jun 2016 4:27 pm

Usual time from what I gather. Glad you'll be able to make it. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Aad Geordie » Sun 31 Jul 2016 9:50 am

I've been meaning to post, for some time, a comment on the Integrated Knife and Handgun class held on June 25th.

I was a little reticent to sign up for this class at first. I don't particularly enjoy the little hand-to-hand segments we do at the pistol classes, since my old arthritic hands give me some grief, but I always seem to learn something that I'm glad to know! (funny how training does that, eh?). I also was aware that I'm regularly carrying a knife with no knowledge whatsoever on using it for anything other than benign purposes and thought that at least I might learn how to hold it :roll: So, in the end, I figured I'd give it a go—plus I wanted to support what was a new class on the calendar.

As it turned out, there were only two of us (jfwright1955 & myself) at the class—two old geezers trying to learn how to knife fight—you could feel the jokes being written in real-time! Instructor Brant was flying solo this day which was probably just as well, given the low attendance, but nonetheless John & I benefitted from very close attention throughout the day.

This was a really useful class and I hope that Brant and Mark are not too disappointed in the response that they won't consider putting it on again. I learned a lot, didn't feel compelled to do anything that I felt uncomfortable with, learned some great tips outside of just the knife stuff, added several things to the "should practice this at home" list—plus we still got to expend several magazines of pistol ammo during the day during the transition drills :D

Of course it was a lot of fun anyway, spending the day with these two scoundrels—good humor and banter abounded to break up the seriousness of the intrinsic subject matter—on a beautiful day of perfect weather in the mountains.

If this class is on the calendar again next year I hope that these comments may provide some encouragement to anyone who is thinking about signing up.

Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 31 Jul 2016 9:54 am

:agree: What he said. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Gonzalo » Thu 04 Aug 2016 5:38 am

I'm really upset that I have managed to miss every single class this year because they all happened when I was out of town or had other plans I could not change. Hopefully I can make it to Advanced Defensive Pistol in September.
Gonzalo
Novice

Postby Gonzalo » Thu 04 Aug 2016 5:44 am

By the way, here's that rifle sling technique that Geoff asked me about:

http://imgur.com/a/fAJxV
Gonzalo
Novice

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 04 Aug 2016 6:38 am

Gonzalo wrote:I'm really upset that I have managed to miss every single class this year because they all happened when I was out of town or had other plans I could not change. Hopefully I can make it to Advanced Defensive Pistol in September.

Be good to have you join the usual crowd of suspects if you're able to make it, Gonzalo. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 04 Aug 2016 6:40 am

Gonzalo wrote:By the way, here's that rifle sling technique that Geoff asked me about:

http://imgur.com/a/fAJxV

Thanks for posting that, Gonzalo. It's about as easy of a method as I've ever seen and will have to incorporate that into my practicing.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Aad Geordie » Thu 04 Aug 2016 10:23 am

Hey Gonzalo—good to hear from you, we've missed you at the recent classes. I won't be at the September ADP, unfortunately, as I'm out of town. Definitely planning on the Aug 20 rifle though and, hopefully, the Aug 27 Next Step Pistol.

Thanks for posting the sling pics. When you gave me that a few months back I wrote up a text description to go with the pictures—I need to proof it and post it here. I made it into a PDF with the pictures included—can we attach PDFs here on the forum, I've never seen that?

I think that it ideally needs another picture in between #2 and 3 showing the rear of the stock going over the head—maybe I'll take my camera and try to get someone to model it on Aug 20.

This is a great technique for those of us without superhuman-moyler-shoulders that can just throw it over the head with the right arm :grinningjester:

Cheers,
Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby Aad Geordie » Wed 17 Aug 2016 8:17 pm

Mark,

Do those of us who were signed up for the cancelled May rifle class need to sign up again for this Saturday or are we automatically on the list?

Cheers,
Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 19 Aug 2016 6:20 am

I know Geoff and Bill will be attending tomorrow's Fighting Rifle class with Mark and Brant up at the PMMA range. Is anyone else going?
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Gonzalo » Fri 02 Sep 2016 6:29 am

When I took the Fighting Rifle class last year, one of my suggestions was to incorporate a visual explanation at the beginning of the class of the difference between point of aim and point of impact. I wasn't able to attend the class this year, but I just ran into a very good video explanation by Jerry Miculek on youtube. I'm posting it here so I don't forget to share it with the group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i34l9yJcdg

The point of impact discussion starts at 1:26. This is pretty basic and I'm sure the regular class attendees already know this, but it might be useful to explain the concept to newer shooters.
Gonzalo
Novice

Postby jfwright1955 » Tue 06 Sep 2016 6:30 am

Well, I'm all signed up for the last of Brant and Marks classes for the season, Advanced Defensive Pistol this Saturday, September 10. Anyone else going?
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Previous

Return to Training Center