Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act - Instructors

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act - Instructors

Postby dewittdj » Sun 28 Feb 2016 7:18 pm

Is anyone familiar with or know anyone in the Northern Utah area who is certified to conduct the firearms qualification test for active duty law enforcement officers for the State of Utah? Retired LEO's who wish to carry concealed nation-wide are required to be tested by such a certified individual prior to being allowed to carry concealed outside of their home state under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA).

See http://le.nra.org/leosa.aspx or http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx if you are unfamiliar with the LEOSA.

Consider this, a retired LEO, or active duty LEO is considered more qualified to carry concealed in all 50 states than you or I. :raisedbrow:
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Re: Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act - Instructors

Postby Jiggerman » Sun 28 Feb 2016 8:22 pm

The first police academy I attended was full of individuals who had no business carrying a firearm. One gentleman needed the 2 second turning targets turned off so he could finally qualify.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”--- Mark Twain
Jiggerman
Novice

Postby Wrangler_dave9 » Tue 01 Mar 2016 2:35 am

dewittdj wrote:Is anyone familiar with or know anyone in the Northern Utah area who is certified to conduct the firearms qualification test for active duty law enforcement officers for the State of Utah? Retired LEO's who wish to carry concealed nation-wide are required to be tested by such a certified individual prior to being allowed to carry concealed outside of their home state under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA).

See http://le.nra.org/leosa.aspx or http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx if you are unfamiliar with the LEOSA.

Consider this, a retired LEO, or active duty LEO is considered more qualified to carry concealed in all 50 states than you or I. :raisedbrow:

You should be able to contact your local Sheriff's office or Police Department and ask to speak to one of their firearms instructors. They should be able to get something scheduled for you at their agency's range.
Just another day in paradise.
Wrangler_dave9
Marksman

Postby UTGunslinger » Sat 01 Oct 2016 3:26 pm

Most of the Sheriff's in Utah will not qualify an out of state retiree. They would prefer you to qualify with your original department as LEOSA requires them to issue you an ID once you qual annually. They don't know you nor do they know if you retired under bad circumstances or honorably or on the heels of an IA. We had a flood of calls once LEOSA passed. All were rejected. I do know of a few Fed guys that were allowed to qual but that because they worked on local task forces so they were known to the Sheriff's.
Life is a battle, Train to win, Fight with vengeance, Never quit!!!

Utah POST Certified Handgun Instructor
Utah POST Certified Shotgun/Less Lethal Instructor
Utah POST Certified Patrol Rifle Instructor
Utah CFP Instructor
And much, much more.
UTGunslinger
Novice

Postby dewittdj » Sat 01 Oct 2016 10:24 pm

Believe it or not, this question came up again yesterday at the WSA Range. A retired ATF agent was here in Utah looking for property to purchase and is related to one of the RO's at Wahsatch. He inquired if there were any certified NRA Pistol instructors who could do his annual requalification. He has the retired federal ATF Weapons card, but has to be recertified/qualified on a live-fire range each year in order to keep his card current.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby UTGunslinger » Sun 02 Oct 2016 3:31 pm

That's too bad. If he's lucky he did some local work on a task force (but it doesn't sound like it) and might know someone at the SO that will help him out. As I understand it, the local PD or SO who qualifies them must also issue an ID showing they have qualified him and they are just not willing to provide an ID to someone who they don't know or didn't work with their department in any capacity.

I'm sure the ATF has local guys that can qualify him (you would think) even though they do most of their firearms in Virginia or Georgia.
Life is a battle, Train to win, Fight with vengeance, Never quit!!!

Utah POST Certified Handgun Instructor
Utah POST Certified Shotgun/Less Lethal Instructor
Utah POST Certified Patrol Rifle Instructor
Utah CFP Instructor
And much, much more.
UTGunslinger
Novice

Postby Luv10mm » Wed 05 Oct 2016 6:53 am

Jiggerman wrote:The first police academy I attended was full of individuals who had no business carrying a firearm. One gentleman needed the 2 second turning targets turned off so he could finally qualify.

I've heard similar stories regarding boot camp for the military. My brother has some funny/scary stories from the Army.

So, if I understand it right, it sounds like LEOs shouldn't move far from their old precinct if they plan to carry in retirement. Or at least be willing to make a trip each year.
Luv10mm
Expert Marksman

Return to Training Center