Anyone have details on the Advanced Tactical Handgun course?

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Anyone have details on the Advanced Tactical Handgun course?

Postby Skittletrash » Thu 31 Mar 2016 8:36 am

A friend and I are heading down to the 2-day advanced tactical handgun course at Front Sight in June. Info on the net is quite slim on content and gear hints to make the most out of the two days. Have any of you gentlemen/ladies attended the course?

Specific questions I had. Does it matter what kind of light to bring for the night shoot? Are gloves or elbow pads worth bringing? What does the skills test consist of? Are they still using simunition (a very old post said they did)?

Thanks in advance. It's hard for me to get away from work and family, so I am trying to make the most of these two days.

Stay safe out there.
Skittletrash
Novice

Re: Anyone have details on the Advanced Tactical Handgun cou

Postby Paul » Thu 31 Mar 2016 1:54 pm

I've done this class several times.
Use the same gear you used to DG the 4-day. You do NOT have to use concealment!!!
You need a flashlight that has a activation on the back end of the flashlight so you can hold it like a lollypop and depress the on/off switch with your thumb. You can run a gun mounted light so long as your holster accomidates the light. Most guys just ran a flashlight because most guys don't have a holster that fits the gun with the weapon mounted light. And go back to my first point... use the same gear you already know and trust which probably doesn't include a weapon mounted light.
Gloves, elbow pads, and knee pads are ALWAYS worth bringing. They don't take up much space and you may or may not want them. I always take them and usually use them.
Can't remember the skills test but it involves new techniques they will teach you. And faster times. Don't worry about the test. To go on to Handgun Combast Master Prep you only need to Graduate from the Advanced Class which is pretty easy assuming you legitimately DG'ed the 4-day class. If you just got lucky and DG'ed the 4-day basic test (which some do) you will find the Advanced Test a challenge. Like all Front Sight tests, don't overthink it or worry about it.
No simunition. That is reserved for the top of the top tactical class which I am working towards.
Seems like you have either 1-2 shoot houses. They have changed the class every time I have gone. It's always a little different.
Any other questions?
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby Skittletrash » Sat 02 Apr 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks Paul. You're the best. Thanks for the advice.

My friend had a couple additional questions. What about those 50 yard headshots we've heard about. Is that for fun, or part of the course. Also, do the one handed malfunctions have to be done with the support hand as well as the firing hand?

Looking forward to the course.
Skittletrash
Novice

Postby Paul » Mon 04 Apr 2016 6:20 am

I don't remember 50 yard head shots. But you are tested on 50 yard body shots.
Malfunction tests are the same as on the 4-day just faster.
The 1-handed malfunction drills are done with both left and right hands. Not tested on though. It's just done for fun.
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Return to Training Center