Another UK Convert

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Another UK Convert

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 22 Apr 2016 3:41 pm

I took a friend visiting from England to the range today. While somewhat neutral on gun control he was leaning towards stronger control and firearm access. That was especially the case regarding AR's and higher capacity magazines.

Needless to say he's now a converted man with a better appreciation of the gun culture and an understanding of the responsibility and accountability that goes along with owning a firearm. If his smile had been any wider it would've met in the back of his head. :thumbsup:

I had him shoot a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and .40S&W full-size, an M&P AR15, and a 30-06 hunting rifle. Out of all of them the AR was by far his favorite. I ran him through my usual new shooter routine with each of the firearms comprising of:

- Safety orientation and firearms familiarization before going to the range.
- Observing others at the range on the firing line.
- Range and firearm safety orientation.
- Dry fire practice.
- Chamber and mag-well checks.
- One round in the magazine + mag change-out.
- Three rounds in the magazine + mag change-out.
- Full magazine with intermittent round-checking.
- Basic malfunction remediation.
- Full magazine with increasing cadence.

Of course, the 30-06 experience was a little different focusing on it's nuances.

So, another satisfied and converted customer who will undoubtedly share his experience with his fellow countrymen. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: Another UK Convert

Postby Aad Geordie » Sat 23 Apr 2016 6:52 am

Nice job John :thumbsup:
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby quychang » Sat 23 Apr 2016 6:29 pm

One of the truly sad realities of gun control and people that have never held, much less fired a gun are our loudest critics. And they can't for the life of them imagine why anyone would need a 20 or 30 round magazine. I think if we could take a few of them out, following John's example, and show them that it's fun. That honestly for us recreational shooters, that is the primary reason for large magazines, they would walk away, perhaps not with a changed opinion but at least some understanding of why we like them, and prefer to keep that option available.

Thanks John! I wish we could send you on a fifty state tour, with a budget for several ar's and an unlimited supply of ammunition. I suspect you could do more good than most of the political rhetoric that forms opinions.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 24 Apr 2016 7:11 am

quychang wrote:One of the truly sad realities of gun control and people that have never held, much less fired a gun are our loudest critics. And they can't for the life of them imagine why anyone would need a 20 or 30 round magazine. I think if we could take a few of them out, following John's example, and show them that it's fun. That honestly for us recreational shooters, that is the primary reason for large magazines, they would walk away, perhaps not with a changed opinion but at least some understanding of why we like them, and prefer to keep that option available.

Thanks John! I wish we could send you on a fifty state tour, with a budget for several ar's and an unlimited supply of ammunition. I suspect you could do more good than most of the political rhetoric that forms opinions.

Mel

Thanks for the endorsement, Mel. I've got my bags packed and my mail stopped at the post office awaiting the donations to pour in to start my 50-state tour. :thumbsup: :D
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Tue 26 Apr 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Aad Geordie » Sun 24 Apr 2016 7:45 am

Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 24 Apr 2016 7:54 am

Aad Geordie wrote:Image

:lol: The ink still looks wet to me, Geoff. Besides, I don't think extinct currency will get me out the front door.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 24 Apr 2016 9:05 am

This situation is much like an over cooked steak. Well done!

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 24 Apr 2016 9:07 am

Snurd wrote:This situation is much like an over cooked steak. Well done!
Sent from iSnurd

:spit:
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Tue 26 Apr 2016 12:25 pm

Sent from iSnurd

Except in justBeth's case Well done is still undercooked.. :dunno:
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Tue 26 Apr 2016 12:55 pm

D-FIN wrote:
Sent from iSnurd

Except in justBeth's case Well done is still undercooked.. :dunno:

Anything more than well done is basically jerky.
Snurd
Posse

Postby bagpiper » Tue 26 Apr 2016 4:38 pm

Snurd wrote:Anything more than well done is basically jerky.

Anything more than medium rare is a waste of a good cut of steak.

If the beef is good, just knock off the horns and wipe its [bottom]: Rare. And don't even ask if I want steak sauce. I'd better not need it. :)

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Tue 26 Apr 2016 4:45 pm

bagpiper wrote:

If the beef is good, just knock off the horns and wipe its [bottom]: Rare. And don't even ask if I want steak sauce. I'd better not need it. :)

Charles

I agree with the steak sauce. Keep it away. I like rare or medium rare.
Snurd
Posse

Postby JoeSparky » Tue 26 Apr 2016 7:19 pm

bagpiper wrote:

Charles

When asked if I want the stuff my consistent response for many years has been "Only if the chef ruined the steak!"
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Return to Training Center