Carry with one in the chamber?...

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Re: Carry with one in the chamber?...

Postby UtahCFP » Wed 25 May 2016 5:32 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:An option might be to use a Raven Concealment Vanguard holster. It's a minimalistic trigger holster/guard design could also serve in preventing someone's trigger finger from unintentionally working it's way into the trigger guard as part of training. Once the instructor is satisfied the student has grasped the concept, just pull it off any away you go. Just a thought.

EDIT: After giving it some thought once I'd pressed the "enter" key, I'm not sure if that'll work as it would interfere with the two-handed grip. Something like it that conformed to the exact shape of the trigger guard (triggerdom) might work though.

Raven Vanguard Trigger Guard.jpg

An aside...
I sewed a little loop into the side pocked on cargo pants (5.11 Stryke pants) and then loop the trigger guard holster cord through that. A straight up draw releases the trigger guard holster cord and then I can rotate the firearm onto target -- yeah, I use the draw style as taught at Front Sight. Only uses one hand, and the firearm is well secured and trigger can't be bothered. Gun is a GLOCK 43.
Dr. Dave ([email protected])
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 30 May 2016 6:14 am

UtahCFP wrote:An aside...
I sewed a little loop into the side pocked on cargo pants (5.11 Stryke pants) and then loop the trigger guard holster cord through that. A straight up draw releases the trigger guard holster cord and then I can rotate the firearm onto target -- yeah, I use the draw style as taught at Front Sight. Only uses one hand, and the firearm is well secured and trigger can't be bothered. Gun is a GLOCK 43.

I also use them. They certainly have their uses for carrying. I have one in a front-mounted fanny bag I occasionally wear with an M&P Shield with the drawstring attached inside so the holster breaks free from the trigger guard when retrieving the Shield. I also have one in a heavy winter coat in an outer pocket (when layering makes it too cumbersome to retrieve from OWB) attached to a tag on the lip of the pocket so the holster pulls free when retrieving.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Wed 01 Jun 2016 2:02 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:
UtahCFP wrote:An aside...

I also use them. They certainly have their uses for carrying. I have one in a front-mounted fanny bag I occasionally wear with an M&P Shield with the drawstring attached inside so the holster breaks free from the trigger guard when retrieving the Shield. I also have one in a heavy winter coat in an outer pocket (when layering makes it too cumbersome to retrieve from OWB) attached to a tag on the lip of the pocket so the holster pulls free when retrieving.

I have one tied to my headboard and one in my Gymbag so I don't have to take the holster off my belt at the gym.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby bltdonahue » Wed 15 Jun 2016 5:35 pm

Three years ago, I was in a highway roll-over wreck with my wife and kid in the car with me.

The seatbelt did a fine job of stripping my pistol off my waist and sending it flinging about the cabin as we tumbled down the highway.

That was not cool at all.

Given that my odds of another highway roll-over wreck are much higher than my odds of needing a hot pistol, one handed, instantly...I carry with an empty chamber.

It's not a training thing. It's not a weapons comfort thing. It's a simple risk and statistics assessment.

Note, two years after my wreck (truck was totaled, got a new vehicle), my new car was rear-ended on the highway as traffic slowed, and the ditz behind me was distracted. That wreck wasn't bad enough to cause me to lose my weapon, but seeing how "excellent" Utah drivers are, and how they seem intent on blasting me off the highway every couple of years, and reading how often this happens on the news (vs. how often citizens need their concealed weapon hot in the holster), I'd say my risk and statistics assessment is pretty spot on.

YMMV.

Edit: I'm also 6'5", 260 lbs and quite fit. If someone is in my face trying to do me harm, my pistol (even if it were hot) is not going to be my go-to response. If you've seen "The Avengers" and remember what The Hulk did to Loki, you'll get the picture.
The world would be much better off if stupidity caused infertility.
bltdonahue
Sniper

Previous

Return to Training Center