Utah Polite Society

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Utah Polite Society

Postby dons » Sat 28 Mar 2009 7:48 am

Has anyone here heard of the Utah Polite, or is there anyone that has attended any of their classes? I did a search and found lots of people recommended them but was wondering if anyone has actually gone to the classes. I am thinking of going to some of them when they start up in April, I guess they have a class every other Monday in the evening. If anyone that has attended could chime in on their classes I would appreciate it.
Dum Spiro Spero
While I breathe, I hope
dons
Marksman

Re: Utah Polite Society

Postby ian husford » Sat 28 Mar 2009 9:12 am

I have heard of them but have not attended any of their classes. One class I plan to attend is their beginning pistol course. It is usually taught up at the PMAA range on the first Saturday of each month but it could have changed in the last six months.

ian
Last edited by ian husford on Tue 07 Apr 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The First and Second Amendments are so intertwined that that we can not have one without the other. And if there comes a time when we lose both, the United States will cease as we know it.
ian husford
Sniper

Postby steelhawk » Thu 02 Apr 2009 9:48 am

They came up to Brigham City and did three classes. My wife and I went to the last two. They were very good. A live shoot is being planned for the spring.
Owner, Bear River Holsters www.BearRiverHolsters.com
Email: [email protected]

America is about to be restored!

Are you part of the Inn crowd or one of the Stable few?
steelhawk
Expert Marksman

Postby DinTex » Thu 02 Apr 2009 12:25 pm

I've been on their "first-Saturday" monthly shoot in March. 8)

Despite being overwhelmed by the number of newbies (me included) they kept their cool, were fast in organizing and did a decent intro into self-defense shooting. While we did not really get in too much trigger time it was a fun morning. Cost for the Saturday is 12$. Their website lists what they would recommend for their range sessions.

All in all a "polite" group of gentlemen, who have their eye more on realistic self defense scenarios.

They have next to the above event from April onwards every second Monday a 3-hour class. And by the way, this Saturday is the first of the month ... see you at the Henderson Range,
http://www.utahpolitesociety.org/about-us/2-event-schedule-a-directions.html
(April 04, 2009 (8:30 AM))

Just my 2p,

http://www.utahpolitesociety.org/
DinTex
Liberalism preaches confident social engineering by the regulatory state. Conservatism urges government humility in the face of society’s creative complexity
_____ George F. Will, 5th of October
DinTex
Sniper

Postby dons » Thu 02 Apr 2009 4:44 pm

I will be there with a couple of others. This actually sounds really interesting and worth a trip up the canyon, hopefully it won't be snowing on us.
Dum Spiro Spero
While I breathe, I hope
dons
Marksman

Postby DinTex » Fri 03 Apr 2009 1:50 pm

8) Just got this in my mail, fair warning - 8)

Folks,
There will be a UPS event Tomorrow at Hendrickson Range.

8am set-up
8:30 new shooters
9am event start

There will be 4 stages. 2 drills covering controlled pairs and Hammer pairs. 2 Self defense scenarios.

Bring:
Handgun
50-100 rounds
extra magazines (if you have them)
Strong side holster
Mag pouch (if you have one)

We will not be having a new shooter class this Saturday. Sorry for the inconvience.

Robin Hood

[email protected]
Utahpolitesociety.org
Utahpolitesociety.blogspot.com
DinTex
Liberalism preaches confident social engineering by the regulatory state. Conservatism urges government humility in the face of society’s creative complexity
DinTex
Sniper

Postby xRapidDavex » Fri 03 Apr 2009 2:15 pm

Is this a free event?

Edit: Guess I should read the whole thread. $12.00 huh?
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby Robin Hood » Fri 03 Apr 2009 8:37 pm

Sorry, I left that out. The fee is $12. See you in the morning.
Robin Hood
Novice

Postby NormanXDm » Fri 03 Apr 2009 8:47 pm

I'll be anxious to read about your experience/thoughts after you've attended. I've been looking at their website, along with the site for the Utah Defensive Pistol League and a couple of others. These events look like a great way to learn and practice defensive skills, and look like they'd be a ton of fun. I'd be going up tomorrow but I have a bedroom to paint so the carpet guys can come. :crying:
"Be nice. Everyone you meet is facing a hard battle." - Marjorie P. Hinckley
NormanXDm
Sniper

Postby xRapidDavex » Fri 03 Apr 2009 8:57 pm

So who is going to this tomorrow?
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby dons » Fri 03 Apr 2009 11:06 pm

:thumbsup:
Dum Spiro Spero
While I breathe, I hope
dons
Marksman

Postby NormanXDm » Mon 06 Apr 2009 11:12 pm

The weather was pretty crappy on Saturday - did anyone attend this event? Everything I've seen makes this type of training look like it'd be a lot of fun.
"Be nice. Everyone you meet is facing a hard battle." - Marjorie P. Hinckley
NormanXDm
Sniper

Postby dons » Tue 07 Apr 2009 6:52 am

I ended up not making it on Saturday. I got up early and checked the weather here in the valley and of course it was pretty lousy and can imagine that it was far worse up the canyon. They do have a class on Monday at 5:30 that I am going to try and make it to.
Dum Spiro Spero
While I breathe, I hope
dons
Marksman

Postby DinTex » Mon 13 Apr 2009 9:41 am

Just giving this a bump. One might want to confirm with them, as they try to maintain trainable group sizes.

If you’re interested, you’ll need a handgun (preferably a semi-auto), a holster worn on your dominant side (right side if you are right handed), at least two magazines, a magazine pouch that can be worn on your belt, 50 rounds of ammunition (100 rounds will allow you to have more trigger time), eye protection (prescription glasses or sunglasses work fine), and ear protection (plugs or muffs). Also, you’ll need to let us know which Monday evening you’d like to spend with us (we’re at the range on the second and fourth Monday of each month).

� We’d like folks to RSVP so we can make sure we keep the groups to ten people or less. Let us know if you’re interested. $10

http://www.utahpolitesociety.org/event-schedule/view/16/2.html

Regards,
DinTex
DinTex
Sniper

Postby dons » Tue 14 Apr 2009 2:42 pm

Just an update on the Utah Polite Society. I was able to attend the training at the range up Parleys canyon. We arrived at the range at around 5:15 and were greeted by the great people from the UPS and they gave us a quick rundown of what we would be doing for the night. There were about 8 people there with experience ranging from lifetime shooters to a husband and wife with their son that had never shot pistol before.

The people were very professional and had a tremendous amount of combined experience to lend to the evening. We began with proper grip for shooting, this was the beginning pistol class, and proceeded onto proper drawing techniques. Safety was always at the forefront and they kept things safe, all those instructing were NRA rangemaster certified. We did proper reloading and then close quarter shooting techniques, an arms length from the target. I have to say that when we started that I was a bit nervous but with the excellent instruction and guidance they had us all shooting, and hitting, the targets with a lot more confidence than we started with.

We finished up the evening shooting using the Teuller drill. A target mounted on a wheeled sled and set at 21' from the shooter and then the target being pulled, at a run, toward the shooter. We started out shooting from the ready position and then from a holstered stance. This definitely put a twist and added a lot of stress on the situation.

Overall I came away with the knowledge that I don't have enough knowledge and made me realize that if I am going to carry a gun I had better be [auto-filtered] sure I know how to use it and use it in a manner that will produce the desired result, I am going to go home to my family. Someone rushing at you with a knife from 21 feet will most likely result in you being stabbed unless you have prepared yourself mentally and physically, muscle memory, to handle the situation. The folks at UPS have really gone out of their way to make sure I am ready for that possibility, yes hopefully that never happens.

I am almost hesitant to post this review because it was great having just 8 of us there and getting all the great training at almost a 1:1 ratio with the instructors, yea I know it's 2:1 but that's how they make it feel. I will definitely return again and attend the Saturday classes that go into much more technical training and be back on Mondays to practice the basics they taught me. Thanks guys.
Dum Spiro Spero
While I breathe, I hope
dons
Marksman

Next

Return to Training Center