My Review of the S&W M&P Shield

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

My Review of the S&W M&P Shield

Postby tire iron » Tue 05 Jun 2012 5:31 pm

Remember your adversaries will to survive is usually more powerful that whatever ammunition you are carrying - so plan accordingly.
http://www.acpsllc.com
http://utahguntraining.com Utah Gun Training
tire iron
Novice

Re: My Review of the S&W M&P Shield

Postby MarshallDodge » Tue 05 Jun 2012 6:16 pm

Of the couple of Shields that I have shot, I have been very impressed by the reliability.

Even in the hands of people that do not have a strong grip, the gun still ran. That is more than I can say of some other highly regarded polymer pistols on the market.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Zacharia » Tue 05 Jun 2012 7:57 pm

FYI, your blog is unreadable from my mobile.

Anyone want to quote the review in this thread?
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby faydee » Tue 05 Jun 2012 8:17 pm

A friend of mine asked me recently for some advice for a CCW firearm. My reply was simple - if you want ultra-concealability - look no further than the S&W M&P Shield. I have had mine for about 2 months - I got one of the first one's in my area. I bought it brand new - $399 plus tax.

I have put over 1,000 rounds of a combination of my reloads and Wolf ammo through it. The ONLY time it didn't go bang was when I encountered some of my training rounds in my reloads. For every 100 rounds I reload - I add in 1 round that has no powder - and the leave dead primer still in the case. This keeps my type 1 malfunction skills up to par - as I *never* know when I will encounter one of those dummy rounds. Works great for training - sucks for matches - but I shoot matches to get the heart rate up to enhance my training anyway so it works out well.

Back to the Shield - it is the perfect size for a carry gun for ME. There are a lot of reviews out there that compare it in size to other carry guns - so I won't repeat that. However - the comparisons either on paper, word or video do not do the difference justice. The difference in "carryability" is dramatic - again - to me. Your mileage may vary. I currently own a S&W M&P 9C - and have owned Glock 26's, Kahr's, KelTec's, Walther PPK's, etc - always in the quest for the "perfect carry gun". Yet as Goldilocks says - none of them were "just right". They were either too big, too heavy, too thick, no fun to shoot, sights sucked, trigger pull was horrible, unreliable, sissy caliber (.380), etc. etc.

Then I picked up the S&W Shield and thought - "WOW - this is JUST RIGHT!" It is short in length and height. It has REAL sights (steel no less). It is THIN. It carries a decent load (7 +1 for the flush fitting mag) - and is a *real* caliber (9mm). It even has a thumb safety - which for pocket carry I really like. While on the subject of the thumb safety - all I will say is this - it is placed EXACTLY where the first joint of my thumb easily wipes it off (down) during the draw stroke. Not once in the thousand rounds and at least that many dry draw strokes have I failed to swipe it off.

My suggestion is if you get one of these - you TRAIN to ALWAYS swipe it off. Otherwise - if you leave it "off" and plan to leave it off - Murphy will ensure that when you need it - the safety will be "ON" and ruin your day. Train to ALWAYS swipe it off and you will be good to go. That goes with ANY firearm that has a mechanical safety placed anywhere other than the trigger (like Glocks and others). ALWAYS train to deactivate the safety. ALWAYS.

OK - now on to accuracy. It must be stated that the S&W M&P line (particularly in 9mm) has the reputation for NOT being absolute tack drivers. Quite the contrary actually. They are certainly "minute of bad guy" accurate - but not "eye socket" accurate.

Well - my M&P Shield is "eye socket" accurate. I fired 10 rounds of Winchester Ranger T RA9TA 127 grain +P+ ammo at 21 feet (7 yards) - as that is a good distance to take the "eye socket" shot.

Ten rounds in less than an inch (0.85" center to center) at 21 feet (7 yards) is "eye socket" accuracy in my book. This is in 9mm no less. And this is with a much too hard trigger pull too!

Now I have no idea if all S&W M&P Shields are this accurate - all I know is MINE is. I HOPE all others are too.

I have heard lots of reviewers saying they like the trigger pull on the Shields they were handling. My S&W M&P Shield does NOT have a stellar trigger pull. It is too hard. It feels like about 8 pounds. I will put an Apex Sear in my Shield to help that out.

I have carried this in my left front pocket (cargo shorts that have big front pockets), I have carried this in my IWB holster at the 4:30 position (can't warm up to appendix carry) and in an ankle rig. It EXCELS in all three positions. I can't pocket carry this in jeans like I can with my KelTec P3AT - so the .380 will still fill the role of a BUG - but this S&W M&P Shield is now my PRIMARY carry handgun.

My advice is this - if don't want to get a new handgun for CCW use - DO NOT ever handle a S&W M&P Shield!! Cause if you do handle one - you may just catch yourself saying "WOW - this is just right!"

cheers

tire iron
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper

Postby moyler » Tue 05 Jun 2012 8:49 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:...That is more than I can say of some other highly regarded polymer pistols on the market.

Bash much??

Glad you are liking your Shield, OP. During a class I was able to shoot one, and I definitely want to shoot one again.

I also shot a guy's Kimber Solo that shot extremely well for me in comparison, I really liked that gun.

OP: Sounds like you have a good BUG or deep concealment CCW, well done!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.realworldpds.com/
Suarez International Staff Instructor
www.suarezinternational.com
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol, PPIH Instructor, RSO
moyler
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Thu 07 Jun 2012 10:07 pm

moyler wrote:
MarshallDodge wrote:...That is more than I can say of some other highly regarded polymer pistols on the market.

Bash much??

Glad you are liking your Shield, OP. During a class I was able to shoot one, and I definitely want to shoot one again.

I also shot a guy's Kimber Solo that shot extremely well for me in comparison, I really liked that gun.

OP: Sounds like you have a good BUG or deep concealment CCW, well done!

Bashing? I didn't say subcompact Glock or XD. :ack:

The last Kimberly Solo I shot was typical of their quality control. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes a bad one. Couldn't get this one to make it through a may without a failure to extract.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby STG gunner » Tue 26 Jun 2012 10:18 am

Great review, I also pick up a shield (9mm) in early May. I have only shot 100 rounds thru it but was sold as soon as they put the gun in my hand. It really does feel that good. It carries so much better than my glock 19. I am still trying to find the right type of holster. I use a leather IWB but want to try something with kydex. Looking at the tacipac. It is a soft pad with kydex holster. Supposed to be the ultimate in comfort. I will report when I get it.
STG gunner
Novice

Postby Polygon » Fri 29 Jun 2012 9:51 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:Bashing? I didn't say subcompact Glock or XD. :ack:

The last Kimberly Solo I shot was typical of their quality control. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes a bad one. Couldn't get this one to make it through a may without a failure to extract.

That's been my experience with Kimber as well lately. I've heard some VERY concerning problems with the Solo from people. Not something I expect out of an $800 gun. I've also had the same experience with my Kahr PM9. It cost me $650 but has not been reliable since day one so I've had to carry my full size 1911 instead. I bought the Shield not too long ago based on all the good things I've heard. I've shot a lot of these 9mm compacts. The Shield has been the best by far. As soon as I can get the PM9 sorted, it's being sold.

Thanks for the review.
Polygon
Novice

Postby TheGunTutor » Sun 19 Aug 2012 1:27 pm

Great review! Love the bow tie at the end - if you don't want to buy it, don't even handle it.

I've wanted one since I heard the rumors they were coming out. Can't wait to try out the Shield.
TheGunTutor
Novice

Postby RustyShackleford » Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks for the review, Very helpful! I've been looking for a very small concealment gun. Reading another review in American Rifleman, they show this available in either 9mm or .40 S&W.

I'm looking more toward the .40 but I'm a novice. any opinions on the 9 vs 40?...I'm a 45acp fan but I'm willing to downsize for a good "pocket rocket". Some places and cloths make it very hard to conceal a full size XD. I don't want to go unarmed in places where concealment is a must.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:16 pm

That small of a gun I'm sure you will notice a big difference between the .40 and 9mm recoil. I would go with the 9mm.

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby RustyShackleford » Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:44 pm

Snurd wrote:That small of a gun I'm sure you will notice a big difference between the .40 and 9mm recoil. I would go with the 9mm.

(Sent from iSnurd)

But maybe I should ask another way, if you were the BG on the wrong end of the gun would you also recomend the 9mm? :D
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:55 pm

I wouldn't want to get shot with anything.

Shot placement and being able to get back on target quickly are key, IMO. You are welcome to get which caliber you like, but I would go with the 9mm. .40's are a fair amount more snappy, even in larger guns. A smaller gun will be worse.

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby Hawk87 » Mon 20 Aug 2012 6:51 am

There is a post here about how handgun rounds all pretty much suck the same. I highly recommend reading it. It is by Dr Gary Roberts, an expert in the field of ballistics.

For what its worth, I carry a 9, and feel perfectly fine with it.
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for good men to do nothing
Hawk87
Sniper

Postby gongo » Mon 20 Aug 2012 10:28 am

Hawk87 wrote:There is a post here about how handgun rounds all pretty much suck the same. I highly recommend reading it. It is by Dr Gary Roberts, an expert in the field of ballistics.

For what its worth, I carry a 9, and feel perfectly fine with it.

Awesome link!
I agree, it's better to hit your target with a smaller round than risk not hitting at all with a larger round.
gongo
Marksman

Next

Return to Firearms Reviews