Utah Guns Forum banner

New goodness

7K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ever since I took a class from moyler, I have been wanting to get one of these. He showed me a firearm that looked quite splendid. If you have taken a class from him, you have probably seen it. I just put everything together, so I haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Well, that's partially true. I bought the gun first, and fired about 200 rounds through it, and then the rest of the package arrived.

First off, it's a Glock 19, gen 3. I bought the pistol and then ordered a match grade slide and threaded match grade barrel from One Source Tactical. I also ordered a Trijicon RM-07 red dot sight. I put them together and it turns into a pretty little picture.

First, the slide from OST is all set up with OEM internals and is ready to go. I decided to go with an additional recoil spring so that I can change out slides without having to switch any parts. The slide came milled and tapped so the Trijicon RM-07 slips right on and screws in. They give you shorter screws so the sight fits great. They put on suppressor sights so that the red dot co-witnesses with the sights when they are aligned. Also, if you want to put on a suppressor, you can still see your iron sights.

The Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) sight is a cool little device. It's quite small and is just a little bit wider than the slide. It has an adjustable brightness with 8 different settings. It takes one CR2032 battery and has a decent little run time. If you leave it on all the time, One Source Tactical suggests changing the battery every year. On Trijicon's website it says if you keep it on setting 4 of 8 it will last up to 4 years. :shock: That's fun. :D

Put this little package together and you get what you see below. As a side note, you can send in your slide to have it milled and have a number of red dot sights put on it. They also have other options that you can do to your gun.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384746650.411927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384746681.406370.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384746759.086134.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384746772.586692.jpg

(Sent from iSnurd)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent! By the way you shoot I expect to see one ragged hole with your new slide. So when is the suppressor purchase happening?

#4 ·
Looks fantastic, Snurd! I think you will really like it. I have worked with mine for over a year now. There is a learning curve at first, but slowly practicing your draw and presentation will help pick up the dot very quickly.

The RMR enhances the shooters ability to not only run manipulation in a more positive manner, but it is very fast to get shots on target. Distance is where it really shines. Provided your trigger press is well tuned, and your other fundamentals are sound, 50 yard shots are childs play. My longest shots with an RMR'd Glock 19 are at 200 yards on 16" steel. Some rifle shooters were watching me and one of them said, "That's cheating"!, I replied that there are no rules in gun fighting, so no, it's not cheating, just a better way.

So let us know how it works for you once you get it sighted in and get some trigger time with it!

Congrats!

#5 ·
moyler said:
Looks fantastic, Snurd! I think you will really like it. I have worked with mine for over a year now. There is a learning curve at first, but slowly practicing your draw and presentation will help pick up the dot very quickly.

The RMR enhances the shooters ability to not only run manipulation in a more positive manner, but it is very fast to get shots on target. Distance is where it really shines. Provided your trigger press is well tuned, and your other fundamentals are sound, 50 yard shots are childs play. My longest shots with an RMR'd Glock 19 are at 200 yards on 16" steel. Some rifle shooters were watching me and one of them said, "That's cheating"!, I replied that there are no rules in gun fighting, so no, it's not cheating, just a better way.

So let us know how it works for you once you get it sighted in and get some trigger time with it!

Congrats!
Will do. I'm excited to get it out and put some shots down range. Most likely won't be tonight though. :cry:

(Sent from iSnurd)

#7 ·
D-FIN said:
I'm feeling a little bit jealous. Maybe you should tell us all when your testing it out and we can all come test it with you. :dancing: Looks like a lot of fun!
You should try to get out with Snurd to shoot it. Or come to a class sometime and I will let you shoot mine. I remember at the SI red dot pistol class, after the platform orientation, the close up work and the point shooting drills, we marched the students out to 50 yards and let the line go for misc. steel targets at will, it sounded like popcorn popping the way the steel was pinging. We moved them back to 100 and guys were amazed at being able to do something they not only had never even tried, but some thought impossible. Several were even able to hit steel at 170 yards angled up a foothill.

I have made good, consistent hits with irons at 60-70 yards with a Glock, but a quality red dot like the RMR is a game changer for long range.

#8 ·
moyler said:
D-FIN said:
I'm feeling a little bit jealous. Maybe you should tell us all when your testing it out and we can all come test it with you. :dancing: Looks like a lot of fun!
You should try to get out with Snurd to shoot it. Or come to a class sometime and I will let you shoot mine. I remember at the SI red dot pistol class, after the platform orientation, the close up work and the point shooting drills, we marched the students out to 50 yards and let the line go for misc. steel targets at will, it sounded like popcorn popping the way the steel was pinging. We moved them back to 100 and guys were amazed at being able to do something they not only had never even tried, but some thought impossible. Several were even able to hit steel at 170 yards angled up a foothill.

I have made good, consistent hits with irons at 60-70 yards with a Glock, but a quality red dot like the RMR is a game changer for long range.
I've actually read a lot about your classes here they sound like a lot of fun. I hope to work one into the budget sometime down the road.

#9 ·
Took the goodness out to the range tonight. My wife and I met up with D-FIN and his wife and boy.
Took me a while to get it sighted in. Definitely going to take some time to get used to, but it's a pretty cool little device. Put 100 rounds through it. Might have put more, but 9mm is rough to find these days.

I think once I get used to the sight, much fun will be had. :D

(Sent from iSnurd)

#10 ·
Snurd said:
Took the goodness out to the range tonight. My wife and I met up with D-FIN and his wife and boy.
Took me a while to get it sighted in. Definitely going to take some time to get used to, but it's a pretty cool little device. Put 100 rounds through it. Might have put more, but 9mm is rough to find these days.

I think once I get used to the sight, much fun will be had. :D(Sent from iSnurd)
Glad to hear it's sighted. It may take a tweak or two once you start pressing distance. Once you get the static stuff down as to presenting the dot effectively, I have some great techniques for using an RMR in point shooting, shooting on the move, etc. But, if you decide you hate it I know I could make room for it somewhere. :)

BTW, 9mm is everywhere online, unless you have limited your supply chain to Wally World.

#11 ·
The trigger is pretty stiff compared to the other 19 we have. I'm sure that's because the other has a couple thousand rounds through it. Seems even more stiff with the new slide, but I could be up in the night.

Also the dot is off to the right of the iron sights. I'll have to get to the range again soon and see if the irons are off. They look centered on the slide, but still may need some tweaking.

I'll have to look around online more. I've been looking at Sportsman's and Scheels as well as Walmart, but they never have anything. Doug's has a bunch, but it's all $20 a box. I'm not paying that. I can get .40 for cheaper, and that's just dumb.
(Sent from iSnurd)

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
My holster for this setup came today. It's a Bladetech holster that I bought from OST. I have a few holsters for Glocks, but I wanted one to protect the RMR. Feels comfy so far. I haven't had a chance to wear it much, so a review will have to come later. It has a paddle attachment and a belt attachment as well. I prefer the paddle. Here is what it looks like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385439953.736333.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385439963.216677.jpg

(Sent from iSnurd)

Attachments

#17 ·
sypher said:
I finally broke down and looked at their website...big mistake :crying: . I can have it done to my m&p :evilexcellent: but I'll need a second job. This will definitely be something on my bucket list.
It's worth it. :thumbsup: I looked at their website quite a bit after I saw moyler's Glock.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#18 ·
A little update with this puppy. When I first acquired this gun I noticed that the new TSD slide and barrel lockup were much tighter than the OEM was. It was much more difficult to rack the slide after the trigger was pulled. I figured it would be since the tolerances would be tighter. I had pumped 700 rounds through it and it didn't loosen at all. I was also getting some fliers even when I know the shot was a good one. I took it down to Crusader Weaponry and had him look at it. He did a little filing on the chamber end of the barrel and worked on the tension on the trigger connector. After his magic the gun felt much better, and the lockup had improved.

I took it to the range last night shortly after seeing Crusader. It was more accurate than before. I did have one flier, but that's less than I have had in the past. The groups stayed together much better than before the work was done.

Using the RMR sight at 28 feet, I used a sand bag to make sure it was shooting where I wanted. It required some adjustment to the red dot to get it right where I wanted it, but I'm pleased with the result. This was using Winchester white box from Walmart.

5 shot group. 28 feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.