M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. with Trijicon RMR RM02 Review

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. with Trijicon RMR RM02 Review

Postby jfwright1955 » Sat 07 Dec 2013 12:13 pm

I just installed a Trijicon RMR RM02 (6.5 MOA) red dot on my S&W M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. and thought I'd provide an initial review. Got a pretty good deal on it on OpticsPlanet.com on Black Friday. The 6.5 MOA dot is perfect for a handgun. I'm glad I didn't go with the 3.25 MOA as I think that would've been too hard to acquire a target and better suited for rifle applications.

Although in the image looking from the rear it's a little tough to see the red dot it co-witnesses perfectly. It's taken a little practice to find the red dot when presenting but as long as I just follow my routine while bringing it up to acquire the target it's right there.

One thing I noticed right off the get-go was I usually need to wear shooting glasses with 1.5 magnifiers in the bottom to see the sights (old eyes... well, all of me's old). Not with this red dot, though. I can just look through the normal part of the lens without having to tilt my head back for the magnifier to do it's work and the dot's as sharp as a tack!

I bought the RM02 rather than the RM07 as it automatically adjusts brightness depending on the ambient light. The RM07 does the same thing but with the added feature of being able to manually adjust the brightness. For me I've never messed around with manually adjusting the brightness of any red dot I've owned so I couldn't see paying an extra $50 for something I'd never use. I'm glad that's the direction I went as the RM02 does a great job of self adjusting for brightness.

Like the other RMRs in the LED lineup the RM02 is "always on" and battery life is supposed to be 2+ years, 5 years if kept in dark storage. Folks who've had theirs for a while seem to back up that claim. I'll let you know in 2+ years if that's the case. :lol:

So, it's off to Doug's Tuesday to zero it in on the range after getting it close using my bore laser at 10 yards. I'll report back after it's dialed in and I've had a chance to field test it.

EDIT (Added description of C.O.R.E.): The M&P C.O.R.E (Competition Optics Ready Equipment) models have a specialized platform right from the factory for adding accessory optics. The slide's cut to accept Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, Jpoint, Doctor, C-More STS, Insight MRDS and comes with several base plates to accommodate any of these.

M&P + RMR - Left.png
M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. with Trijicon RM02
M&P + RMR - Left.png (57.79 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

M&P + RMR - Right.png
M&P + RMR - Right.png (56.22 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

M&P + RMR - Red Dot.png
M&P + RMR - Red Dot.png (67.93 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

M&P + RMR - Front.png
M&P + RMR - Front.png (75.76 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Mon 09 Dec 2013 5:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. with Trijicon RM02

Postby Snurd » Sat 07 Dec 2013 3:00 pm

Looks good. :thumbsup: I really like the RM-07. Haven't tried the RM-02. My brother and I went to Doug's today to shoot and he shot a few mags through the RMR'd Glock. He liked it quite a bit. :D They are awesome sights.

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Re: M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. with Trijicon RMR RM02 Review

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 11 Dec 2013 5:52 pm

UPDATE:

After the first outing to Doug's with the new setup I can say the Trijicon RMR RM02 on the 9L Pro C.O.R.E. is amazing!

Having it pretty much dialed in with the bore laser before heading to Doug's meant only a couple of volleys down range to get it zeroed in. After that groupings were nice and tight and right on the mark, even at full range distance of 66 feet (measured with a laser measurer).

On its maiden voyage I'd give the RM02 5 out of 5 stars. Of course as an M&P guy it goes without saying the M&P 9L Pro C.O.R.E. gets 6 out of 5 stars. :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Wed 11 Dec 2013 6:34 pm

If you have not taken any defensive pistol classes before, Moyler's Next Step class is a good start.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 11 Dec 2013 6:54 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:If you have not taken any defensive pistol classes before, Moyler's Next Step class is a good start.

Yeah, I've taken all of Mark's classes for the past couple of years -- and pistol and rifle from Brant -- and have already signed up for 2014 pistol and rifle classes with Mark as well. He's a great instructor. Mark pretty much has my credit card number on file and knows to always include me in the headcount for any of his classes. Bill (username Roach) and I are always first in line.

Even after having put over 15k rounds through my primary M&P 40 full size and probably close to that again through the rest of my M&P collection there's always something I learn from every class. It's a great way to keep my skills honed. Plus, there's always a fun group of folks attending the classes many of whom are from the forum. I'm hoping we get to do the "dueling tree" again this next year (Mark, you listening?).

If you're at the 2014 classes I'll see you there. :thumbsup:

I'd hit mark up for at least a 20% discount for giving his classes a well-deserved plug. :D
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Wed 11 Dec 2013 7:01 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:
MarshallDodge wrote:If you have not taken any defensive pistol classes before, Moyler's Next Step class is a good start.

Yeah, I've taken all of Mark's classes for the past couple of years -- and pistol and rifle from Brant -- and have already signed up for 2014 pistol and rifle classes with Mark as well. He's a great instructor. Mark pretty much has my credit card number on file and knows to always include me in the headcount for any of his classes. Bill (username Roach) and I are always first in line.

Even after having put over 15k rounds through my primary M&P 40 full size and probably close to that again through the rest of my M&P collection there's always something I learn from every class. It's a great way to keep my skills honed. Plus, there's always a fun group of folks attending the classes many of whom are from the forum. I'm hoping we get to do the "dueling tree" again this next year (Mark, you listening?).

If you're at the 2014 classes I'll see you three. :thumbsup:

I'd hit mark up for at least a 20% discount for giving his classes a well-deserved plug. :D

Sorry, somehow my post ended up in the wrong thread. I thought I was posting in his gift certificate thread. :huh: :nilly:

Anyway, glad to hear that you have enjoyed his classes!
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby moyler » Wed 11 Dec 2013 7:55 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, JF. You could hit me up for 20% off as well. Perhaps for The Fighting Rifle I, later next year?

Glad you are warming up to the CORE!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.realworldpds.com/
Suarez International Staff Instructor
www.suarezinternational.com
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol, PPIH Instructor, RSO
moyler
Sniper

Postby sypher » Wed 11 Dec 2013 8:20 pm

John,
You and snurd are killing me with your "toys". You've got me wanting to donate a kidney so I can join the club.

Quick question...what is the difference between the pro L and pro?
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 11 Dec 2013 8:28 pm

sypher wrote:John,
You and snurd are killing me with your "toys". You've got me wanting to donate a kidney so I can join the club.

Quick question...what is the difference between the pro L and pro?

The Pro L has a longer barrel. The Core has a 4.25" barrel, the "L" has a 5" barrel. Overall length difference is 1", and the "L" is 2oz heavier.

C.O.R.E.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

C.O.R.E. "L"
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
Snurd
Posse

Postby sypher » Wed 11 Dec 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks snurd... :thumbsup:

John, any particular reason you went with the 5" vs the 4.25"?
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 11 Dec 2013 9:16 pm

moyler wrote:
jfwright1955 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, JF. You could hit me up for 20% off as well. Perhaps for The Fighting Rifle I, later next year?

Glad you are warming up to the CORE!

Count me in, Mark, for Fighting Rifle I & II. Just put it in my credit card. :D
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Wed 11 Dec 2013 10:00 pm

sypher wrote:Thanks snurd... :thumbsup:

John, any particular reason you went with the 5" vs the 4.25"?

I have to admit I wondered if the longer barrel would contribute to tighter groupings. Although my other 9mm full size isn't a CORE it does just fine for accuracy. But, the longer barrel kicked that up to a whole new level. I'd have called BS until I witnessed it for myself and wondered if it was just a physiological advantage? It's not. It does great. Even with plain sites the C.O.R.E. is right on target more times than not as compared to its non-CORE brother.

Apparently it also worked for the guy in the next lane to me. After he compared his XD 40 against mine he wanted to buy my exact setup I had right then if he could.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Return to Firearms Reviews