S&W M&P 15-22

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

S&W M&P 15-22

Postby Snurd » Tue 28 Jan 2014 5:49 pm

Back a few months ago, I was selling a Ruger LCR. Quychang proposed a trade. Since he was offering an M&P 15-22, I met up with him and decided to swap. Unfortunately it took me a few months to get it out to the range. I have since come to my senses and took it out to sight it in.

After sighting it in, I decided that I needed to pump some rounds through it. I had a few malfunctions here and there. Some was bad ammo that didn't want to fire. So strange for .22 ammo right? :D They had good strikes on the primer, but they didn't go off. I also had a couple FTE's as well.
I shot some Remington ammo, which I don't like very much. It seems less reliable than Federal or Winchester, at least from my experience anyway. Then I shot some Winchester ammo and some American Eagle stuff. If I remember correctly, I had at least one FTE with the Remington and American Eagle. It's possible that there was an FTE with the Winchester, but I don't remember.

Other than those few issues, it ran like a champ. My wife shot it as well and really likes it. I'm hoping she doesn't want to take possession of it. Then again, that might give me a chance to get another one. :dunno:

I only have one mag for it, but someday I may get another one. They seem to be reasonably hard to find, but I don't really need more than one since it's just a plinker.

It has a peep sight on the back and a post on the front. The sight adjustment is on the rear sight and is quite easily done.

The trigger is nice and smooth and has a pretty easy pull. I don't think I'll do anything to the trigger since it's already pretty decent.

I did add some rubber deeleeo's (aka rail covers) so that the edges wouldn't be as sharp to the touch. They aren't enough to be really bothersome, but I figured for $7.52, I might as well toss them on and give it a little more grip as well.

I also really like the idea of the B.A.D. lever for the AR15's. You can put one on the 15-22, but from the reviews I've read, you have to do a fair amount of fiddling to get it bent properly so that it works. NDZ Performance makes something that is pretty much exactly like the B.A.D. lever, but it's made for the 15-22, and you don't have to bend it. It's $28.99 shipped. A little spendy for a little lever, but I wanted to slap it on there. It makes it super quick to lock the bolt back, or to drop the bolt when you reload. They probably could have thought of a different name for the lever. They call it the Speed Bolt Release. That's not too bad, but they like to refer to it as the SBR. I think something else already yoinked that name.

Overall I am quite pleased with the little rifle. It's very easy to shoot, and easy to take apart and clean.

Thanks quychang for the rifle. :D
Below are a few pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390954893.452832.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390954893.452832.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390954910.056800.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390954910.056800.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390954920.533294.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390954920.533294.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Re: S&W M&P 15-22

Postby Shay.ca » Tue 28 Jan 2014 6:21 pm

I love mine. Its fun. Just wish ammo was easier to find.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Shay.ca
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Tue 28 Jan 2014 6:31 pm

Shay.ca wrote:I love mine. Its fun. Just wish ammo was easier to find.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

No doubt. I'd love to get more ammo.
Snurd
Posse

Postby MarshallDodge » Tue 28 Jan 2014 8:59 pm

They are sweet little rifles. My son has one and I would say that it is the best of the tactical styled 22 rifles.

His shoots well with most of the bulk ammo and is very accurate with Federal AutoMatch.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby quychang » Wed 29 Jan 2014 11:17 am

Overall I am quite pleased with the little rifle. It's very easy to shoot, and easy to take apart and clean.

Thanks quychang for the rifle. :D
Below are a few pics.

And thank you for the LCR as well! I'm glad you finally got out to shoot the .22 and that you enjoyed it. I love the little LCR, just need to practice with it more, but have been carrying my FN in my OWB holster for comfort. The problem I was having with my hands seems to be clearing up, and the slides on the semi's are manageable again, at least for the time being. I have no intentions of getting rid of the revolver though, think I'll probably order a smart carry for it and mostly carry it for deep concealment.

Anyway, cheers! Glad we're both happy with the trade.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Tenuki » Sat 22 Mar 2014 2:26 pm

I just got my own new 15-22 MOE this week! I decided against getting a 10-22 mostly because of the great reviews on this gun, and also because it seems like everybody and their small children have a 10-22, and for good reason. I a really happy with my choice. I paid the extra 50 bucks and got the Magpul Original Equipment (MOE) and it is looks as good as it shoots. The guy at Gunnies even let me try my suppressor on for size before I bought it, even though I'm still waiting on approval for my stamp.

That day I grabbed a box of every type of .22 ammo I had to try through it. The only one that had any problems was the winchester bulk pack that comes in a white box - it had several FTE's. Other than that it was great. Even cycled several types of subsonic ammo without a hicup.

For anybody interested in buying one of these right now, Gunnies has a special going: $20 off and a free box of Federal 525. Not bad IMO.
Attachments
15-22.jpg
15-22.jpg (33.03 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Sat 22 Mar 2014 2:32 pm

Nice! It looks good. They are fun little rifles. :thumbsup:
Snurd
Posse

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 23 Mar 2014 5:08 am

Looks good, Tenuki. You'll have a lot of fun with it. I've lost count of how many rounds exactly I've put through mine but it's definitely north of 10k maybe even over 15k now. There's not a lot you can't do with one of these that you can do with an AR15 during training so it makes for a fairly cheap date to take along to classes.

One word of caution when disassembling your M&P 15-22 for cleaning is to keep a hold of the "blue bolt spring" in the charging handle assembly shown in this picture:

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Charging Handle Picture.jpg
M&P 15-22 Charging Handle Assembly
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Charging Handle Picture.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

You can read all about my misfortune in this thread what with launching mine off my back deck... doh!! I'm still waiting for the replacement from S&W and that was back in September 2013! Luckily someone on another S&W forum saved the day for me, though.

Also, be forewarning that adding accessories to your M&P 15-22 may be contagious (should be a warning on the box, in my opinion), even more so than an AR15 for some reason... or maybe it's just me? :dunno:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 23 Mar 2014 6:33 am

I would like to change the grip and get a red dot on this little fella. Hopefully I can stop the madness there, but that may not happen. :lol2:

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 23 Mar 2014 6:45 am

After my last purchase of the EOTech 512 and Vortex VMX-3T magnifier I think I've flat run out of real estate to put anything else on it now. So, whether I like it or not I believe that might be checkmate or at least check in chess terms unless I can figure out a way to put a carrier deck on it! :raisedbrow:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Return to Firearms Reviews