Walther P22...I want one

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Walther P22...I want one

Postby Jonilyn » Wed 19 Mar 2014 7:15 pm

I want this but I can't seem to justify it for a few reasons: I have four guns (3 9mm and a .380), why do I need anything smaller?; It's not good for protection but it is fun to shoot; my husband says he had one a while ago and his would only shoot expensive .22 ammo so he sold it. I guess I'm looking for some good reasons to get it other than its cute and pink. Help.
Jonilyn
Novice

Re: Walther P22...I want one

Postby MichaelD » Wed 19 Mar 2014 7:34 pm

What kind of 9mm and .380 pistols do you have? The reason I ask is because there are better choices out there from a reliability standpoint than the P22, such as the Smith & Wesson M&P22, Ruger Mark III & Mark III 22/45, Ruger SR22, Browning Buckmark and Bersa Thunder 22. It's possible one of those might be a closer analog to your other pistols for training purposes.

Oh... and the best justification to get a .22 is they're wickedly fun to shoot. That, and they're cheaper to practice marksmanship with than a centerfire pistol.
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P9c
pistol-training.com
The M&P Endurance Gun
Dr. Gary K. Roberts' list of recommended SD ammo

Carry guns are like work trucks: who cares if they get beat up a little as long as they work when you need them to.
MichaelD
Sniper

Postby gskip33 » Wed 19 Mar 2014 7:56 pm

I'd have to agree with Michael. From my experience P22s just don't cycle regular high velocity ammo. I have a m&p 22 that has been great! I'd recommend that or a gsg 22. Having owned or shot most of the 22 pistols on the market, these two are definitely the best.

If you have to get one like the P22 I'd suggest the ruger SR-22. It was alot more forgiving about ammo. The new Walther PPK 22lr was pretty cool too. That one ran well.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby Jonilyn » Wed 19 Mar 2014 8:14 pm

I have Glocks 19, 26, 42 and an M&P shield. I liked the Walther because the shape is similar to what I'm used to. My husband has a Browning Buckmark and I really like that. Maybe I'll just commandeer his if I'm feeling the need to have one. Thanks for talking me out if it, guys. If I want to go pink, there is always ceracoat.
Jonilyn
Novice

Postby MichaelD » Wed 19 Mar 2014 8:26 pm

The M&P22, once you remove the manual safety levers, has an identical manual of arms to your Glocks, and is pretty darn close to the Shield. IMO, it's your best bet.

Oh, and you could always have it Cerakote'd pink, if you really need to have that.
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P9c
pistol-training.com
The M&P Endurance Gun
Dr. Gary K. Roberts' list of recommended SD ammo

Carry guns are like work trucks: who cares if they get beat up a little as long as they work when you need them to.
MichaelD
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Wed 19 Mar 2014 8:41 pm

So basically, you have all talked my wife into taking my gun. Great. :crying:

I guess around Christmas time I'll have to get another.

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby quychang » Wed 19 Mar 2014 9:16 pm

Jonilyn wrote:Image

I want this but I can't seem to justify it for a few reasons: I have four guns (3 9mm and a .380), why do I need anything smaller?; It's not good for protection but it is fun to shoot; my husband says he had one a while ago and his would only shoot expensive .22 ammo so he sold it. I guess I'm looking for some good reasons to get it other than its cute and pink. Help.

:ROFL: WAVE...Hi Mrs. Snurd! Yes, by all means, steal Tracy's gun!

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Wed 19 Mar 2014 9:28 pm

quychang wrote:
:ROFL: WAVE...Hi Mrs. Snurd! Yes, by all means, steal Tracy's gun!

Mel

:thumbdn: :(
Snurd
Posse

Postby Paul » Thu 20 Mar 2014 6:13 am

I have owned 3 P22's. All of mine have cycled everything I have put in them with no problems. I think .22 by nature are finicky. Many times when I hear troubles about .22 pistols malfunctioning it is the grip not the gun. Anyway that has been my experience. I love the P22s!!!
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby Snurd » Thu 20 Mar 2014 6:56 am

Paul wrote:I have owned 3 P22's. All of mine have cycled everything I have put in them with no problems. I think .22 by nature are finicky. Many times when I hear troubles about .22 pistols malfunctioning it is the grip not the gun. Anyway that has been my experience. I love the P22s!!!

Grip can definitely be an issue, but that wasn't the case with this p22 I had. My sister in law has one and it doesn't have issues shooting cheap ammo.
Snurd
Posse

Postby jobot » Thu 20 Mar 2014 7:24 am

Would not recommend.

Here is what happened to my friends p22.

http://northernutahgunclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69
jobot
Marksman

Postby Jake60 » Thu 20 Mar 2014 8:31 am

I'll second the SR22. Fun firearm.
It comes in purple. :lol:
Jake60
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:06 pm

Snurd wrote:So basically, you have all talked my wife into taking my gun. Great. :crying:

I guess around Christmas time I'll have to get another.

(Sent from iSnurd)

That's what we're here for. :thumbsup:
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Return to Firearms Reviews