Remington R51

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Remington R51

Postby gunsrg8t » Thu 17 Apr 2014 8:41 am

After a call from my LGS maybe 3 weeks ago or so now. I picked up the new Remington R-51. The new and improved version of the old Remington 51.
First impressions at the gun counter were…nice size, good feel.

Smooth and dehorned every where. Rack the slide and hmmmm… kinda stiff, not smooth, seems to catch a little as you slide it back. Slide release well placed for my reach, mag release button, ambidextrous, but very hard to push and a grip safety like an XD or 1911 with an audible click like those Halloween cricket things when I was kid.

Should I buy or shouldn’t I. Obviously I bought or there wouldn’t be this review.

Brought it home and broke it down for first cleaning and lube. I had to read the instruction in order to break the R-51 down. Was a bit of trouble but after a few times it’s not so bad.

Out to the range. Has a pretty natural point of aim. Had some fail to feed but no fail to eject. The feeding round seemed to hang up on the feed ramp. The slide always went into battery. I don’t think I am plagued with all the problems others have complained of. The trigger pinched my finger on the trigger guard. Readjusted and no problem. For me the grip safety works fine and no discomfort. Single action hammer fired trigger.

I have been shooting with the R-51 three times now and each trip the performance has gotten better. So I think this gun is just in need of some break in time. I had no feeding problem with various ammo the third time out. Racking the slide now is not difficult yet still has a roughness or hard spot to it, but once you past this spot it slides easily. I think it is in the design. The recoil spring is around the barrel (no guide rod) and compresses into a sleeve around the barrel. Used some Gunzilla on the mag release button, I’ve run out of what the “gun doctor ordered”, and it is easier to push now.

The Remington R-51 is pretty much the same size at the M&P Shield.

The one problem if it is, is the expanded or swelled primer strikes that others have mentioned. I’ll email Remington to find out if this is a problem. Maybe some here can shed some light.

I enjoy shooting this gun. I am definintly no marksman but with the R51 I seem to hit where I aim. Has less felt recoil, reacquiring the target is easier and quicker.

7 yards rapid fire

14 yards rapid fire
I may end up a victim, but I won't be a helpless victim.
gunsrg8t
Marksman

Re: Remington R51

Postby jobot » Thu 17 Apr 2014 8:48 am

Want to go shooting some time?
jobot
Marksman

Postby XSlevinn » Thu 17 Apr 2014 2:30 pm

I'm actually surprised.. Every review I'm come across for this gun so far has been absolutely atrocious. No one has liked this gun so far. Many problems with it. I'm glad it worked well for you though.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby beef84084 » Thu 17 Apr 2014 7:47 pm

watch this video, this guy does very good videos on reviews and other stuff. will explain r51 problems he has found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzS4sQfn4U
beef84084
Marksman

Postby gunsrg8t » Sun 20 Apr 2014 11:02 pm

jobot wrote:Want to go shooting some time?

I'm for it
Let's go sometime.
gunsrg8t
Marksman

Postby gunsrg8t » Sun 20 Apr 2014 11:14 pm

beef84084 wrote:watch this video, this guy does very good videos on reviews and other stuff. will explain r51 problems he has found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzS4sQfn4U

I saw his first review and was not impressed by him.
His second review I felt was a better presentation.
I have seen other reviews of the R51 with the same problems mentioned.
I also read a good review on AR15.com
I hope my R51 continues to improve with use.
Time will tell and I'll update my review.
gunsrg8t
Marksman

Postby Kalison » Thu 29 May 2014 2:45 pm

I really, really wanted to get one of these.

I think I am just going to wait a little bit till there are no more issues. If it was stuff that you don't ever see on camera (or hard to replicate) or don't require some sort of "worst case" setup (X ammo with X bullet weight... etc), then I would probably end up ignoring all the reviews.

Right now though, the evidence shows; don't buy just yet.
Kalison
Novice

Return to Firearms Reviews