Guys can accessorize too. Ruger SR-556E

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Guys can accessorize too. Ruger SR-556E

Postby Snurd » Tue 29 Jul 2014 8:31 pm

Sometimes guys need a little accessorizing. Now that doesn't mean that we need to put on dainty clothes and slap on a bow. It doesn't even mean that we need something froofy. Unless that froofy item is a rifle.

I decided on a Ruger SR-556E rifle. I was going to get the regular 556 model, but this one was cheaper, and has most of the same things. It lacks the quad rail, chrome lined barrel, hogue grip, and the sights are slightly different. It is lighter though, by roughly half a pound, and sits at 7.36 pounds. It comes with one gen 2 Pmag, a thirty rounder. Also, it came with a nice ruger padded case with an outside pocket and a couple inside pockets for extra mags. Velcro straps hold the rifle in place so it doesn't do a jig while you aren't looking.

I'm quite pleased with it so far. I haven't had a chance to go to the range since it just arrived at it's new home today. I'll be out soon to see what it can do.

The sights fold down and lock into place, and with the push of a button, the pop up and are ready to use. I'm sure there are a lot of sights that do the same thing, but it's a nice feature to get them out of the way for storage, or when you would like to use an optic of some sort. I will most likely get a different grip for it. I really like the Hogue grips. Going to change the stock as well to something of the Magpul variety.

I also picked up some extra Pmags, and an Uplula speed loader for it. I must say that the Uplula loaders for pistols is quite nice. The AR version is even better. It has a little handle that can be pushed into the main body so it will use less storage space. The handle pops out and can be moved back and forth to help the ammo go in super smooth, or if you want, you can use it to quickly unload a mag as well. You can check the videos out on Youtube if you like to see how they work. I would highly recommend getting one if you have an AR, or an AK. They make them for other rifles as well.

Anyhow, this is just a short welcome to the new member of the family.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406691061.866485.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406691061.866485.jpg (116.96 KiB) Viewed 5194 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406691073.657335.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406691073.657335.jpg (112.74 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
Last edited by Snurd on Mon 18 Aug 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snurd
Posse

Re: Guys can accessorize too.

Postby Snurd » Wed 30 Jul 2014 2:36 pm

My brother and a couple of friends of mine went out to the range today. My brother recently grabbed a Sig 516 and has a 3x scope on it. That is a pretty nice little shooter. With the scope on his, he was able to get it sighted in a little better than I could with open sights at 50 yards. I was still able to keep it in a 2 inch square on the target.

69 shots were fired through the Ruger. It would have been 70, but there was one jam. It was an ammo issue. I was factory ammo, not reloads, and it had a little bulge in it somewhere. It was the first round in the mag. I dropped the bolt and no bang. After waiting a bit I tried to eject the cartridge. It was a no go. It was jammed in there pretty good. The range master had a way to get it out, so we did. Other than that, there was no issues. It shot great.

I don't really like the stock very much. It's one of the cheap stocks that has the ring that sticks out on the front and digs into your face. That's the best. You can pull your face back a little more and it isn't an issue, but it's a dumb feature on a lot of rifles.

The trigger is a little stiff, but even with that it has a really nice break. It doesn't have a gritty feeling at all.

It's a neat little rifle and we will have fun with it for a while. :dancing:
Snurd
Posse

Postby J_dazzle23 » Wed 30 Jul 2014 9:41 pm

Nice. Not really a fan of the quad rail either....they are heavy and imo a good scope is 99 percent of the accessories you need on a rifle....MAYBE a light. I feel like I would be better served spending the big money on ammo and training....so your choice of accessorizing is perfect IMO :) glad it shot well for ya!
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Fri 01 Aug 2014 11:10 am

I'm happy with it. I'll get a scope at some point. But until then, I'll enjoy plinking away at various targets on the range. Firearm golf is always fun. Chuck a few golf balls out on the range and take turns trying to launch it with some high speed lead.
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Fri 01 Aug 2014 12:59 pm

So whoever knocks it to the end of the range wins?

You can make a big rope circle and paint the balls different colors. Then like marbles you have to knock all your opponents balls out of the circle. :dancing:

Edit: dammit now I have to go buy some golf balls.....
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Fri 01 Aug 2014 1:27 pm

:lol2: It's fun. We just take turns trying to hit it. One shot each. Trying to get it in a certain location could be challenging. But knocking the other guys out of a ring would be fun.
Snurd
Posse

Postby MarshallDodge » Fri 01 Aug 2014 2:00 pm

Congratulations. If you want a gun to accessorize, the AR is probably your best choice. :lol2:

I have never owned an AR with cheese graters. Started off years ago with my Dad's A1 with the triangular handguards, then a Varmint model with a free float tube, and my current AR has a free float tube without the rails. The Ruger as well as the one I have has the capability of adding a small section of rail for a flashlight, etc. There I go accessorizing already! :thumbsup:
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Fri 01 Aug 2014 3:25 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:Congratulations. If you want a gun to accessorize, the AR is probably your best choice. :lol2:

I have never owned an AR with cheese graters. Started off years ago with my Dad's A1 with the triangular handguards, then a Varmint model with a free float tube, and my current AR has a free float tube without the rails. The Ruger as well as the one I have has the capability of adding a small section of rail for a flashlight, etc. There I go accessorizing already! :thumbsup:

I think I would prefer a modular rail system were I can just add a rail where I need it for a specific item like you are describing rather than having a full blown quad rail on it.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Fri 01 Aug 2014 4:06 pm

D-FIN wrote:
MarshallDodge wrote:Congratulations. If you want a gun to accessorize, the AR is probably your best choice. :lol2:

I think I would prefer a modular rail system were I can just add a rail where I need it for a specific item like you are describing rather than having a full blown quad rail on it.

It's a lot nicer on the hand, that's for sure. I may end up getting another rail piece at some point.

I added the Magpul B.A.D lever and a Magpul carbine stock. I like that stock a lot better. The lever is also quite handy.
Snurd
Posse

Postby XSlevinn » Sat 02 Aug 2014 8:49 am

D-FIN wrote:So whoever knocks it to the end of the range wins?

You can make a big rope circle and paint the balls different colors. Then like marbles you have to knock all your opponents balls out of the circle. :dancing:

I really want to do this now...

Edit: I've never had a problem with my quad rail chewing up my hands.. but I also put rail ladders on mine, as seen in the attached picture. Is there a reason you guys don't have ladders or some other kind of cover on your rail if it chews up your hand?
Attachments
8a42fa11-754c-435b-be55-f698f0fb7ec5.jpg
8a42fa11-754c-435b-be55-f698f0fb7ec5.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby Paul » Sat 02 Aug 2014 9:39 am

Here's a pic of my Ruger SR556E with a couple accessories on it!
This was prairie dog hunting a month ago.
This gun has an ACOG on it. A Harris bipod on a LaRue Tactical quick release bipod adapter. And a Rock River Arms 2 stage match trigger. And a single point sling you probably can't see cause I think I took it off once the shooting started.
Attachments
sr556.jpg
sr556.jpg (129.97 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby MarshallDodge » Sat 02 Aug 2014 12:18 pm

XSlevinn wrote:Edit: I've never had a problem with my quad rail chewing up my hands.. but I also put rail ladders on mine, as seen in the attached picture. Is there a reason you guys don't have ladders or some other kind of cover on your rail if it chews up your hand?

Don't you know that quad rails are out of style? :wink:

Even the new BCM Keymod stock only has a top rail.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Photocell » Sat 02 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

I run a 15" seekins precision that has a full length rail on top and keymod slots the other 3 sides, and I love it. You can add rail sections anywhere you want, but keymod is catching on and accesories are starting to be built to mount direct by keymod. There are VG's, flush light mounts, QD sling and bipod attachments, etc. The Ruger 556 is a great rifle that feels great in the hands, great choice Snurd!
Photocell
Marksman

Postby XSlevinn » Mon 04 Aug 2014 10:27 am

MarshallDodge wrote:
XSlevinn wrote:Edit: I've never had a problem with my quad rail chewing up my hands.. but I also put rail ladders on mine, as seen in the attached picture. Is there a reason you guys don't have ladders or some other kind of cover on your rail if it chews up your hand?

Don't you know that quad rails are out of style? :wink:

Even the new BCM Keymod stock only has a top rail.

I must be one of the weird ones then.. I love the look of a quad rail, even if I don't plan on putting anything on them.. I just like how they look and generally feel. :D
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Mon 04 Aug 2014 10:43 am

Our M&P 15-22 has a quad rail. I put the rubber ladders on it so it's not too bad to handle. I like the SR556E rail much better though.
Snurd
Posse

Next

Return to Firearms Reviews