Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer model

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer model

Postby quychang » Sat 23 Aug 2014 3:10 pm

I'll make this short and include a few target pictures. Please, not "too much" heckling from the peanut gallery. This is my first 1911 and the first time I've shot a .45 auto. First impression, this model comes with a competition barrel and trigger. The trigger in dry firing is buttery smooth, I've never felt anything that just fit me as well as this one seems to. I bought it back in June, but this is the first time I've taken it to the range. I don't think I'll be carrying my 9mm's anytime soon.

First target is one magazine to the torso on the target and one to the head [img]
target0.jpg
[/img]

The second is a round target type with one magazine and the pistol.
target1.jpg
target1.jpg (234.08 KiB) Viewed 4401 times

Last is actually the first target, with one magazine to the body of the target. [img]
target1.jpg
[/img]

It's the first time I've been shooting since May, and I can see this only getting better. I'm sure in the hands of some of you this one would be a real tack driver. Oh, I shot about 80 rounds of Spirit ammunition, manufactured here in Utah. I had one fail to feed, and I think it was my wimpy wrist as it was near the end of the run and I was getting tired. I slipped the round in the middle of the next mag and it fed just fine.
Attachments
target 5.jpg
target 5.jpg (222.73 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
target0.jpg
target0.jpg (208.07 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Re: Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer model

Postby J_dazzle23 » Sat 23 Aug 2014 3:52 pm

Awesome! Love shooting 1911's
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Sat 23 Aug 2014 4:33 pm

Nice shooting. :thumbsup: I've pondered on getting a Range Officer. Looks pretty slick with the grips.
Snurd
Posse

Postby Beretta96 » Sat 23 Aug 2014 9:14 pm

I just bought an RO in 9 mm and I'm very happy with it. I do want to change out the front sights because black on black is hard to see. I'm also thinking I might get it cerakoted gray and black.

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/23/f0c2b4a549cbbe2ac103550dc5a2a646.jpg[/img]
Beretta96
Marksman

Postby quychang » Sat 23 Aug 2014 10:29 pm

When my wife isn't looking so close I might consider a 9mm RO, but I'm laying low for awhile. Actually I'd have to shoot one first, I really like the .45.

Mel

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
quychang
Sniper

Postby quychang » Sun 24 Aug 2014 8:29 am

Snurd wrote:Nice shooting. :thumbsup: I've pondered on getting a Range Officer. Looks pretty slick with the grips.

Thanks Tracy. I pondered hard over snakeskin, but decided it had been done. I also pondered Ivory, but then I found these. They'e made from Holly, with black Mother of Pearl inlays for the helmets. Looks like ivory, much less sensitive to shock, and though very slow growing, still a renewable resource. I got them from http://www.wickedgrips.com and they make a variety of styles including damascus steel and machined aluminum.

Someday, I will have a set of scrim'ed fossil ivory grips, but meantime these will do the job nicely. They're just grippy enough to give you a good hand hold, but not painful at all. We'll see how the light colored wood stands the test of time.

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Sun 24 Aug 2014 10:16 am

I've got a cousin who married a guy who does awesome scrimshaw work.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Sun 24 Aug 2014 4:20 pm

Ooh the slippery slope you are on. :mrgreen:

Next you will be buying 200 Grain Semi-wadcutters by the thousands, loading them with a fast powder, and cutting pretty little .45 inch holes in paper that look something like this. https://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewt ... =3&t=16979

Actually, those weren't wadcutters but you get the point.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby quychang » Sun 24 Aug 2014 6:58 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:Ooh the slippery slope you are on. :mrgreen:

Next you will be buying 200 Grain Semi-wadcutters by the thousands, loading them with a fast powder, and cutting pretty little .45 inch holes in paper that look something like this. https://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewt ... =3&t=16979

Actually, those weren't wadcutters but you get the point.

I'm afraid you might be right. I'm already considering selling my full size 9mm, and only keeping the little Sig in case the wife decides to shoot. I'm never going to be a competition grade marksman, but this is as accurate as any handgun I've tried. It "might" be related to doing some light working out to improve my core strength, or it might be a combination of that and the gun. But I'm pretty hooked. Besides, I can carry it in Colorado.. :lol3: .

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Sun 24 Aug 2014 7:25 pm

Dang it now you have me wanting the compact version
http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... ct-45-acp/

Dont you people know ive got a cruise to save for ?
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby quychang » Sun 24 Aug 2014 9:25 pm

gravedancer wrote:Dang it now you have me wanting the compact version
http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... ct-45-acp/

Dont you people know ive got a cruise to save for ?

Nice! Yeah, it's not a cruise but we're headed to Orlando in Dec.

Mel

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD
quychang
Sniper

Return to Firearms Reviews