Sig P938 - quest complete

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Sig P938 - quest complete

Postby bltdonahue » Sat 04 Oct 2014 1:28 pm

TL;DR The last time I fell in love like this with a firearm, it was when I shot my suppressed 300 Blackout

Last weekend, I went to the range with a buddy. We mostly did rifle work, but put in a little pistol time. My daily carry is a Ruger LCP (.380). That's a painful little gun to shoot. The long trigger pull and small size make for a difficult pistol to shoot quickly and accurately. However, my LCP has been very reliable, and of course SUPER easy to carry.

Anyhow, when I fired my Beretta 92 and Glock 19 (which, of course, run fast and accurate), I realized I needed a better carry pistol. Despite being roughly the same size as Chewbacca if he went on a pizza and beer diet for a year, I find it bothersome to carry my Glock 19.

I needed something between an LCP and my Glock 19.

I thought "something" was going to be the new Ruger LC9s. This pistol has a GREAT trigger pull, and generally fills the hand better than the Ruger LCP.

So I ran off to Get Some (the old Salvo in Layton), determined to rent every small 9mm they had. After trying the Ruger LC9, the dude behind the counter grabbed the Sig P938. He said "you may want to try this last, because you'll stop looking after firing this."

OK, buddy, cute sales pitch.

Dude was right.

It was perfectly reliable, had a great single-action trigger, was AS ACCURATE as my Beretta 92 (trust me, I know how to shoot), a ran FAST with little difficulty (the only difficulty being my hand was ringing like a bell after mag-dumps, thanks to 124 grain rounds in a tiny pistol).

I might have to name this baby!

Hickok45 does a review of the exact version I have. Just skip to the shooting part. Hickok45 obviously knows how to shoot, but you'll really see how accurate this little thing is, and at the 7:14 and 12:49 point (be sure to watch his reload too), you'll see how it handles rapid fire. That's what really sold me on this. I could never do that with an LCP, and the other long-striker fired sub-compacts would have a tough time keeping up too.

http://youtu.be/w6Js4acN46k
The world would be much better off if stupidity caused infertility.
bltdonahue
Sniper

Re: Sig P938 - quest complete

Postby Snurd » Sat 04 Oct 2014 1:38 pm

Ive shot the P238 before. That was a neat little gun. I'm sure the P938 would be fun too. :thumbsup: Congrats.
Snurd
Posse

Postby quychang » Sat 04 Oct 2014 10:12 pm

Sig makes great pistols. While I did trade my p290 for a XD .45 compact tactical, the Sig was always super reliable, and easy to carry. Personally I shoot larger guns a little more accurately. Hopefully my next pistol purchase will be a Sig. 1911 to go with my Springfield.

Congratulations on your new P938, I think it's an outstanding choice and you'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby J_dazzle23 » Sat 04 Oct 2014 10:45 pm

I've shot that one quite a bit. It's my favorite subcompact gun, above all
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby bltdonahue » Tue 07 Oct 2014 9:57 am

Update: Took her out again Sunday.

Had failure to fully seat on a couple of rounds, and this was when I switched to some defense rounds.

Went home, consulted intarwebs about it...and apparently, it can happen when the weapon is over-lubricated, and of course with bullets with unusual geometry.

I definitely had cleaned her and bathed her in lube after the Saturday shoot (i'm looking at YOU DeWitt). Cleaned her again, and gave her just a hint of lube. Also picked up more 124gr FMJs, and will see how reliability goes from there.
bltdonahue
Sniper

Postby tapehoser » Tue 07 Oct 2014 11:56 am

rlee.gif
rlee.gif (27.99 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
tapehoser
Posse

Postby faydee » Tue 07 Oct 2014 8:36 pm

this is what i am saving $$$$ for...
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper

Postby MrReverse » Tue 07 Oct 2014 8:53 pm

All my Sigs have seemed happiest with light lube. The Mosquito has a bad rep for jams and other problems. Both of mine run great even with low quality ammo now. It took a few hundred rounds to get everything smoothed out, but now they will happily run anything I give them. My 9 mm P229 was a little finiky for the first 150-200, but seems happy with anything I give it now from the light 100gr loads up to the 147gr. My P238's needed some break in as well. The 226 and SP2022 both in 9 mm never seemed to give me much trouble though the 226 had a broken extractor when the shell had a blowout at the base. It was a handload that I think was a bit overcharged. I haven't noticed any problems with my .40 P239, but have not run it a lot, only about 100 or so.

You might have figured out, I like Sigs.. :thumbsup:
MrReverse
Novice

Postby bltdonahue » Fri 10 Oct 2014 4:09 pm

Put 100 rounds through her today. Had two Remington Golden Sabers catch the lip of the hollowpoint, and not feed in. That ammo is now being side-lined. The rest were FMJs, and everything ran perfect. I LIKE this gun, but holy cow, a 100 rounds through it is too much. It's a tiny weapon, and a 9mm feels like a cannon through it.
bltdonahue
Sniper

Postby bltdonahue » Sun 12 Oct 2014 3:05 pm

bltdonahue wrote:Put 100 rounds through her today. Had two Remington Golden Sabers catch the lip of the hollowpoint, and not feed in. That ammo is now being side-lined. The rest were FMJs, and everything ran perfect. I LIKE this gun, but holy cow, a 100 rounds through it is too much. It's a tiny weapon, and a 9mm feels like a cannon through it.

And another 60 rounds. FMJ only. Flawless. I'm still in love...though she's a HARSH lady, and is making for a great tutor in controlling my recoil anticipation. I thought I'd cured my recoil anticipation years ago! No so! I only cured it with nice full-sized pistols. A few more weeks of this, and I'll be an actually good shot!
bltdonahue
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 12 Oct 2014 3:28 pm

I always figured the Shield in .40 and the XDs in .45 would both be fairly punishing.
The Shield in 9mm isn't too bad. It's 3oz heavier than the P938, though.

Have you tried Hogue rubber grips on it? I had a P229 that was uncomfortable shooting with the original plastic grips. I bought the Hogue grips and they were awesome. You can get a lot better grip, and also be able to shoot longer and more comfortably.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby bltdonahue » Sun 12 Oct 2014 3:38 pm

Snurd wrote:I always figured the Shield in .40 and the XDs in .45 would both be fairly punishing.
The Shield in 9mm isn't too bad. It's 3oz heavier than the P938, though.

Have you tried Hogue rubber grips on it? I had a P229 that was uncomfortable shooting with the original plastic grips. I bought the Hogue grips and they were awesome. You can get a lot better grip, and also be able to shoot longer and more comfortably.

Sent from iSnurd

They had a model for sale with the Hogue grips already on it. It sure fit my hand nicely. It was also fatter, and the version I have carries very nicely. I can shoot it fine for at least 30 rounds before I feel punished, so (for now) I'm opting to keep it with the slim stock grip.

That said, I did distinctly think of how nice the Hogue grips felt on that version :)
bltdonahue
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 12 Oct 2014 3:44 pm

I carried the P229 with the Hogue grips. While it was a bit thicker it was much better to shoot. You could always buy the grips and use them for when you wanted some extended range time with it. Then switch back for carry and regular range trips.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby UCChris » Fri 17 Oct 2014 7:40 pm

I CC a Ruger LCP. You might consider the Hogue Handall Hybrid grip for it. I put one on mine recently and it is amazing. I can shoot this as much as my SW SD40 now.
UCChris
Marksman

Return to Firearms Reviews