Wash. Times: best 2015 hand guns under $500

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Wash. Times: best 2015 hand guns under $500

Postby AlanM » Thu 12 Feb 2015 6:25 am

The article: Bang for your buck: Best handguns under $500

Synopsis: (somehow I got this list backwards)
* BERSA BPCC's retail for about $400.
* The Kahr CW9 9mm pistol features a black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide and standard fixed sights retails for less than $400.
* Caracal CP660 a modern semi-automatic pistol in 9x19mm with an 18-round magazine expected to retail at approximately $415.
* Ruger LCP is a compact .380 Auto. For as little as $350, the LCP is lightweight and ideal for concealed carry.
* Rugar LC9 ?????
* The Micro Desert Eagle provides big-time protection with a gas-assisted blowback system for ultimate reliability and amazing accuracy for around $400.
* Springfield XD (X-treme Duty) are a series of semi-automatic pistols that are polymer-framed. This Striker-fired pistol has a smooth trigger, and multiple safeties for duty carry sells for under $500.
* The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military and Police) is a polymer-framed, short recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistol available in .40S&W, 9mm, 45ACP, 22LR & 357SIG for under $500.
* The Taurus PT92 is a double action/single action, 9x19mm Parabellum, double-stack magazine, semi-automatic, short recoil action pistol manufactured by Taurus in the former Beretta factory in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Taurus PT92 is less expensive than the Beretta 92 in most cases can be had for around $450.
* Ruger SR-Series pistols are perfectly sized to be comfortable and controllable with slim, ergonomic grips and narrow slides. These handguns are valued at approximately $450.
* The Bersa Thunder series high capacity pistols offer custom deluxe features that shooters demand at absolutely no extra cost. Prices start slightly under $400 and are available in 380ACP, 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP .
* Ruger P Series with a 25 year track record of reliability, durability and performance in the field, P-Series pistols are simple, economical, and serviceable. 45ACP retails for slightly over $400 and the 9mm for around $300.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Re: Wash. Times: best 2015 hand guns under $500

Postby MichaelD » Thu 12 Feb 2015 11:30 am

And I would take the Washington Times' opinion on 'the best guns'... why? Do they have some sort of special expertise in guns of which I'm not aware?

IMO, the best source for advice on which guns to buy for carry and home defense are firearms trainers like Ken Hackathorn, Todd Green, Pat Rogers, etc., along with a select few LE professionals like Gary Roberts, etc. I doubt *any* of them would recommend a Bersa, Caracal, Micro Desert Eagle, or especially a Taurus. Most of them wouldn't even recommend a Springfield XD, regardless of how popular they are with the average gun buyer, and would only begrudgingly recommend Ruger. They've seen what works and what doesn't.

BTW, I'm not trying to attack you personally, Alan. It's the article I take issue with.
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P9c
pistol-training.com
The M&P Endurance Gun
Dr. Gary K. Roberts' list of recommended SD ammo

Carry guns are like work trucks: who cares if they get beat up a little as long as they work when you need them to.
MichaelD
Sniper

Postby AlanM » Thu 12 Feb 2015 3:42 pm

I never said, and won't, that I agreed with the article. I just posted the link and list as an FYI sort of thing. Personally I don't care for 380's at all. I got rid of the only one I owned and I don't think I ever carried it.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snurd » Thu 12 Feb 2015 4:13 pm

The only one I would agree with is the M&P. I'm betting the author of the article hasn't shot most, if any, of them.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby MarshallDodge » Thu 12 Feb 2015 4:24 pm

For the average Joe who goes to the range once or twice a year, that is probably a good list. The M&P being the top choice of those listed.

The issue I have is that for just another $50-100 you could have a really solid pistol like a Glock, H&K VP9, Walther PPQ, Sig P2022, etc.

The other issue is the cost of supporting something like a Caracal CP660. Where do you find things like a holster, spare mags, sights, or even parts if the gun breaks? Maybe the parts don't apply to most people but I just broke the trigger return spring on my HK P30 after over 15K rounds and unknown number of dry fires. There are multiple places I can pick up these parts without having to deal with returning the gun to the factory, something that is a big issue with choosing a Springfield XD- no factory spare part support.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby bltdonahue » Tue 12 May 2015 8:55 am

The world would be much better off if stupidity caused infertility.
bltdonahue
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Tue 12 May 2015 9:14 am

Thanks for posting, Alan. Always interesting to read what folks consider to be "the best handgun", and often tells of their familiarity (or not) with firearms.

Not sure when the article was written as Smith Wesson hasn't produced an M&P in .357 Sig. since 2011 (mentioned as one of the available calibers). If you're lucky you can still find the OEM .357 Sig. barrel at places like MidwayUSA, at least in 4 1/4" flavor. I bought one some time ago for my M&P .40 S&W full-size to expand my ammo options.
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Tue 12 May 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Tue 12 May 2015 10:53 am

AlanM wrote:The article: Bang for your buck: Best handguns under $500

Synopsis: (somehow I got this list backwards)
* BERSA BPCC's retail for about $400.
* The Kahr CW9 9mm pistol features a black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide and standard fixed sights retails for less than $400.
* Caracal CP660 a modern semi-automatic pistol in 9x19mm with an 18-round magazine expected to retail at approximately $415.
* Ruger LCP is a compact .380 Auto. For as little as $350, the LCP is lightweight and ideal for concealed carry.
* Rugar LC9 ?????
* The Micro Desert Eagle provides big-time protection with a gas-assisted blowback system for ultimate reliability and amazing accuracy for around $400.
* Springfield XD (X-treme Duty) are a series of semi-automatic pistols that are polymer-framed. This Striker-fired pistol has a smooth trigger, and multiple safeties for duty carry sells for under $500.
* The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military and Police) is a polymer-framed, short recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistol available in .40S&W, 9mm, 45ACP, 22LR & 357SIG for under $500.
* The Taurus PT92 is a double action/single action, 9x19mm Parabellum, double-stack magazine, semi-automatic, short recoil action pistol manufactured by Taurus in the former Beretta factory in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Taurus PT92 is less expensive than the Beretta 92 in most cases can be had for around $450.
* Ruger SR-Series pistols are perfectly sized to be comfortable and controllable with slim, ergonomic grips and narrow slides. These handguns are valued at approximately $450.
* The Bersa Thunder series high capacity pistols offer custom deluxe features that shooters demand at absolutely no extra cost. Prices start slightly under $400 and are available in 380ACP, 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP .
* Ruger P Series with a 25 year track record of reliability, durability and performance in the field, P-Series pistols are simple, economical, and serviceable. 45ACP retails for slightly over $400 and the 9mm for around $300.

Why the issue with the Ruger LC9 ? I love mine.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby rosemarynrugers » Tue 12 May 2015 1:54 pm

MarshallDodge wrote:For the average Joe who goes to the range once or twice a year, that is probably a good list. The M&P being the top choice of those listed.

The issue I have is that for just another $50-100 you could have a really solid pistol like a Glock, H&K VP9, Walther PPQ, Sig P2022, etc.

Is your comment implying that the M&Ps aren't really solid pistols? Not attacking you, just want to see where that comes from.

We love the M&P series. We own a 9c and a 9 full. When testing guns that I want to carry, I did a side by side comparison with the Glock 43 and the M&P Shield 9. The Shield was the winner in many aspects. It came down to how it fit in my hand and the trigger pull. The Glock had a heavier trigger pull and just felt too weighty and bulky in my hands. Not to mention, S&W makes their guns in the USA. Just food for thought. I know everyone has their particulars about their guns, but I was intrigued by your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rosemarynrugers
Novice

Postby jktseug » Tue 12 May 2015 7:24 pm

bltdonahue wrote:CZ-75

You're welcome :wink:

http://www.impactguns.com/czu-75b-omega ... 11359.aspx

I must agree, under $500 best gun you can buy hands down. ;)
Now, they aren't for everyone. they are heavy (not polymer), and some can have a heavy spring, I have noticed some ammo doesn't like some of the stock springs, if they are lower powered ammo, it can fail to cycle the slide all the way. I have only had this with one brand of ammo so far.
"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
Robert A. Heinlein
jktseug
Expert Marksman

Return to Firearms Reviews