Dan Wesson ECO first impressions.

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Re: Dan Wesson ECO first impressions.

Postby quychang » Wed 04 Mar 2015 10:36 pm

gskip33 wrote:Honestly I would call DW about it. It shouldn't be having any issues and my DW has been perfect with factory and reloaded ammo (doesn't care if hollow point or FMJ).

I think DW would take care of you.

I may do that when my p938 gets back from Crusader. I don't want two guns in transit, not that I wouldn't have something to shoot.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby quychang » Thu 05 Mar 2015 9:53 am

gskip33 wrote:Honestly I would call DW about it. It shouldn't be having any issues and my DW has been perfect with factory and reloaded ammo (doesn't care if hollow point or FMJ).

I think DW would take care of you.

Actually, I've been looking at these reloads and questioning the quality. Some of them look like old brass, etc. Not particularly clean in some cases. What I'd like to find is a box of factory reloads to try. Since it seems to be handling fresh ammo just fine, I'm happy. If I start reloading (It's under consideration) I'll be careful to only use good quality brass, and be picky about sizing, etc. When I cleaned up from yesterday's shooting I got my stone back out and looked, and there was no raised material left. Apparently I had thinned it down to the point that shooting it wore the rest off.

So does anyone know where I can buy factory reloaded .45acp north of Layton?

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Thu 05 Mar 2015 11:21 am

My brass looks bright and shiny new after I take it out of the tumbler but after it sits in an ammo box until I get ready to reload it the shiny fades quite a bit and they darken some and look much more like old brass. Running through the press also makes them look not so new. They still work great. The only ones that stay bright are the nickel plated.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby Photocell » Thu 05 Mar 2015 12:45 pm

quychang wrote:
So does anyone know where I can buy factory reloaded .45acp north of Layton?

Mel

Order some from Freedom Munitions I have started reloading on a friends press, but have pretty much exclusively shot Freedom for the last couple years. Out of close to 10,000 rounds I have NEVER had a squib, only a handful of two FTF, FTE, etc. and I can't even blame all of those on the ammo. It is legit. Prices are great and it gets delivered right to your front door.

The only reman'd ammo I have seen on store shelves and that I trust, is western arms reman'd in St. George, they sponsored a major 3 gun match last year and when I got to the match realized I had left my pistol ammo can at home. Pure panic lol! luckily I was able to buy from them and they worked great. They are packaged loose where as Freedom is packed in 50 rd. boxes just like a factory load.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Thu 05 Mar 2015 1:50 pm

If you have s micrometer you should measure overall length of the factory and reloads and compare. The reloads may be a tad long or short and the gun just doesn't tolerate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby quychang » Thu 05 Mar 2015 2:16 pm

D-FIN wrote:If you have s micrometer you should measure overall length of the factory and reloads and compare. The reloads may be a tad long or short and the gun just doesn't tolerate it.

I'll do that, I have a full set of Mic's up to 6 inch. plus a decent pair of dial calipers that are probably close enough for this kind of thing.

Photocell, thank you for the link to Freedom, I just ordered 1000 rounds from them, with free shipping as a new customer. So, a very good price.

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Postby quychang » Thu 05 Mar 2015 7:38 pm

D-FIN wrote:If you have s micrometer you should measure overall length of the factory and reloads and compare. The reloads may be a tad long or short and the gun just doesn't tolerate it.

I picked half of the 40 reloads I had left at random, and measured over all length, diameter, and as close as I could case length. None varied by more than + or - .003. And only two or three were off by that much. Most were within .002 of each other. They were hollow points, and were not perfectly flat all the way around, so there may have been a minor variation in how the bullets were seated in the casing. That's the only thing that I really didn't have an accurate way to measure. I think I might have a v-block, but not an accurately ground one, nor do I have a surface plate. I really do miss the toys in the machine shop. Anyway, I haven't eliminated the possibility of bad ammo, but I don't care to check them 100%. Even if I do, it doesn't tell me anything about the rounds already fired. I do know there was ONE that had something seriously different about it, but since I didn't save it to check, I'd be spitting in the wind if I were to guess. But based on the difficulty extracting it, if I had to guess it would be diameter. Also, I know that the reloads were not all the same, some were labeled as +p so I know they were loaded somewhat hotter. I did feel a difference in the recoil in some of them, so I'm sure they were mixed up in what I had.

None of this is very scientific, I didn't feel like I really learned much if anything. I am getting more interested in reloading my own though. Probably not seriously enough to look at progressive presses, but I may just have to pick up a basic setup and start small. First I have to make a spot for it though, and that's probably not happening this month.

Mel
quychang
Sniper

Previous

Return to Firearms Reviews