Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Wed 06 Jan 2016 12:19 pm

Doctor Jenks wrote:Did you ever send in your shield, or call customer service? Just wondering how the experience has been thus far. Inquiring minds, and all that. :)

Their customer service was good to work with, they said they'll replace the extractor and make sure everything else is in spec still. Sent it off on December 28th, the gentleman said the expect it back within a month. After a little google searching sounds like it's pretty common and a new extractor and/or polishing the feed ramp usually fixes it. Unfortunate it happened but so far their customer service has been good to deal with.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 06 Jan 2016 12:26 pm

Greenhead_Slayer wrote:
Doctor Jenks wrote:Did you ever send in your shield, or call customer service? Just wondering how the experience has been thus far. Inquiring minds, and all that. :)

Their customer service was good to work with, they said they'll replace the extractor and make sure everything else is in spec still. Sent it off on December 28th, the gentleman said the expect it back within a month. After a little google searching sounds like it's pretty common and a new extractor and/or polishing the feed ramp usually fixes it. Unfortunate it happened but so far their customer service has been good to deal with.

Gotta love good customer service. It sucks to be out of a gun for that long, but it's nice they are taking care of it.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Doctor Jenks » Wed 06 Jan 2016 12:39 pm

Greenhead_Slayer wrote:

Awesome, that's good to hear. I've always heard S&W is good to work with.

I'm loving my Shield. I just need to get back to the range and work on tightening up those groupings. 8-)
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Tue 01 Mar 2016 10:20 am

S&W shipped the gun back to me on February 1st after replacing the extractor. They test fired it and said it didn't have any issues, not sure how many rounds they tried though. I've put about 100 rounds a week through it since then of PMC, Winchester, and Blazer. Of the 400 rounds down it has had 4 FTE, before S&W replaced the extractor 13 FTE occurred over 750 rounds. We'll see how it compares after 750 rounds.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Postby Doctor Jenks » Wed 02 Mar 2016 6:38 pm

That sucks man. I really hope you get this sorted out. Considering they've replaced the extractor, I think it's safe to assume that wasn't your problem. I have never had any major failure to eject problems with my Firearms.

From what I've read on the issue, I'm actually surprised that they would replace the extractor when trying to fix a failure to eject malfunction. Usually, you'll only replace an extractor if you were getting double feeds, which would indicate a failure to EXTRACT issue. Stove pipes (which I believe you named as your major issue in a previous post) generally indicate a failure to EJECT.

If I were you, I'd have a closer look at your ejector. Also, I've read it's possible for a too stiff recoil spring to cause failure to eject. Other than these issues, limp wristing is the other major culprit for failure to eject. Let me know if you'd like to meet up, use my shield for comparison if it'll help.

Cheers. Let us know what you figure out. 8-)
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby Doctor Jenks » Wed 02 Mar 2016 7:36 pm

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the recoil spring (assuming you aren't limp wristing it, which you already said you aren't). The shields recoil spring is very stiff to begin with. coupled this with for FTE issue, and the slide not locking back. . . That's my suspicion anyway.
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Mon 07 Mar 2016 9:39 am

Doctor Jenks wrote:The more I think about it, the more I suspect the recoil spring (assuming you aren't limp wristing it, which you already said you aren't). The shields recoil spring is very stiff to begin with. coupled this with for FTE issue, and the slide not locking back. . . That's my suspicion anyway.

That's what I was leaning towards pretty strongly, hence the reason I've been trying to put 100 rounds a week through it to loosen it up. I'd imagine by now it should have loosened up some. I've had 4 friends shoot my shield and I've shot theirs, I haven't experienced the same issues with any of their 4 guns. 2 of them experienced FTE's while shooting mine, so I really don't think it is limp wristing. I think I'll give it another couple hundred rounds and if things don't improve I'll drink the G43 kool aid.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Mon 07 Mar 2016 10:20 am

Greenhead_Slayer wrote:
Doctor Jenks wrote:The more I think about it, the more I suspect the recoil spring (assuming you aren't limp wristing it, which you already said you aren't). The shields recoil spring is very stiff to begin with. coupled this with for FTE issue, and the slide not locking back. . . That's my suspicion anyway.

That's what I was leaning towards pretty strongly, hence the reason I've been trying to put 100 rounds a week through it to loosen it up. I'd imagine by now it should have loosened up some. I've had 4 friends shoot my shield and I've shot theirs, I haven't experienced the same issues with any of their 4 guns. 2 of them experienced FTE's while shooting mine, so I really don't think it is limp wristing. I think I'll give it another couple hundred rounds and if things don't improve I'll drink the G43 kool aid.

The XDS is a great little gun too. It holds more than the G43, and the felt recoil is better in the XDS.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Doctor Jenks » Mon 07 Mar 2016 6:45 pm

Greenhead_Slayer wrote:

Have you tried switching out your recoil spring with one of your buddies, on their shield? That should give you a good idea if that were the problem. 8-)
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Previous

Return to Firearms Reviews