Utah Guns Forum banner

Speedsights plus Apex trigger on Shield 9mm

18K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  jfwright1955 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The wife got some upgrades this christmas and we got to test them out a bit after they were installed on Saturday.

The Apex trigger kit with flat aluminium trigger for Duty & carry came from The Armory so we took it back there for the FREE install.
IMG_0894.JPG

Also had them put on the SpeedSights (thanks to Snurd for the introduction) which they also did for Free. (usually $30 if you did not buy them form them but since they were doing the trigger anyway...)
IMG_0898.JPG

We were both very happy with both. My POI was a little high but my initial groups were very nice. Trigger was nice and crisp and reset was a huge improvement over the stock trigger. I don't shoot this gun very much because Beth carries it but I was much better with it than I usually am.

After our initial testing we played a little battleship:
IMG_0892.JPG

This was a lot of fun we both had our fair share of great shots and not so great but we came out fairly even in the end. I would recommend both products and also the Armory who was great to work with.

Not sure why all the images are rotated the thumbnails were not.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Snurd said:
That looks awesome. :thumbsup: I've tried the Apex on a friends pistol and it was really nice. I really like the speed sights too. Nice shooting. :D

Sent from iSnurd
Thanks probably can't outshoot the Snurds but it might be fun to try. I think i'm gonna have to get some of those sights on my glock. That front sight pops out so nice and bright I don't think I would even bother with the tritium versions.

#7 ·
Doctor Jenks said:
Thanks. I'm just a little curious. I'm starting to hate the shields stock trigger. I'm a lot less accurate than I think I should be. Maybe I've been spoiled using the apex trigger on my m&p
That's why I switched to the XDS. My Shield wasn't very accurate. Though others I have shot were more accurate than mine. The Apex would help with accuracy. The more stiff the trigger is, the easier it is to botch the shot.

Case in point. Mrs. Snurd has a G26. She was disappointed with how she shot it. My groups weren't that great either. We put a lighter and much smoother trigger in, and the groups shrunk a lot.

Sent from iSnurd

#8 ·
Snurd, I really like those sites. My wife gave me New shield for Christmas (ya, ya) I have shot it 50 times so I won't get into the accuracy yet, but it's much better than my LCP.
I have been reading about the apex trigger and have been thinking about the upgrade. Please keep us informed.

Thanks

Morgan Ingram

#10 ·
Snurd said:
Doctor Jenks said:
Thanks. I'm just a little curious. I'm starting to hate the shields stock trigger. I'm a lot less accurate than I think I should be. Maybe I've been spoiled using the apex trigger on my m&p
That's why I switched to the XDS. My Shield wasn't very accurate. Though others I have shot were more accurate than mine. The Apex would help with accuracy. The more stiff the trigger is, the easier it is to botch the shot.

Case in point. Mrs. Snurd has a G26. She was disappointed with how she shot it. My groups weren't that great either. We put a lighter and much smoother trigger in, and the groups shrunk a lot.

Sent from iSnurd
what did you put in the G26?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
D-FIN said:
Snurd said:
Doctor Jenks said:

Sent from iSnurd
what did you put in the G26?

The Zev Fulcrum trigger. Hers is still working. Mine was having issues, so I yanked it and sent it back. Hopefully hers continues to work.

#13 ·
D-FIN said:
Ok I remember now, I had just remembered that you had issues with it.

I wouldn't buy another one. If there are any issues with Mrs. Snurd's, it's coming out too. I keep all the factory parts just in case they need to go back in.

That Apex trigger is pretty nifty. My friend's M&P C.O.R.E. has one installed. The reset is great, and the trigger is really smooth.

I like that the Shield has the green front sight too. It matches the lettering she did.

#14 ·
Snurd said:
D-FIN said:
Ok I remember now, I had just remembered that you had issues with it.

I wouldn't buy another one. If there are any issues with Mrs. Snurd's, it's coming out too. I keep all the factory parts just in case they need to go back in.

That Apex trigger is pretty nifty. My friend's M&P C.O.R.E. has one installed. The reset is great, and the trigger is really smooth.

I like that the Shield has the green front sight too. It matches the lettering she did.
At least on that side. The other side still has glitter polish in the lettering. :huh: Girls

#18 ·
I might have to check these out for my full-size M&P's. I've a feeling they may help improve target acquisition with my aging eyes. My current TruGlo TFO's have seen their fair share of wear and tear and are in need of replacement anyway.

#19 ·
Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size. I noticed on their Speed Sights FB Page they're offering a 10th anniversary promo code (DJF1979) so used it to save a few bucks.

#22 ·
Well, I installed the Speed Lights on my M&P .40 S&W full-size and headed to the range today to try them out for the first time. I took along my M&P sight installation tool in case I needed to nudge the sights around for point of aim (POA), point of impact (POI) alignment. As it turned out, using calipers to center the sights while installing them paid off as I didn't need to do any tweaking.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the Speed Lights. I really like the design and function. I found target acquisition to be easier and faster and groupings were noticeably better as compared to my old TruGlo TFO's. I think part of that is attributable to the larger surface areas of the Speed Lights and the vivid color of the front sight as compared to normal sights. Even without my prescription shooting glasses to help focus on the front sight I was able to easily put the front green diamond in between the rear white diamonds to get fast and consistent hits. I couldn't do that without my prescription glasses with my TruGlo's.

I wondered if the size of the Speed Lights might obscure the target somewhat at longer distances like some "lollipop" sights tend to do. But, even at 25 yards I was able to find and hit the 16 inch x 10 inch target with the majority of hits in the 7 inch x 6 inch ring.

As my wife also likes the Speed Lights I think we'll be installing them on our M&P 9mm full-size and likely our Shields.

As a side note, when installing the Speed Lights on the M&P using an M&P sight installation tool, I ran into a couple of mild anomalies: 1) The Speed Lights rear sight has a slightly higher profile than that of normal sights so I had to remove a shim from the tool to accommodate the height; and, 2) The front sight has a slightly wider profile and wouldn't fit the front sight tool recess so I used the rear sight recess to install both the front and rear sights. Other than that the installation went without a hitch.

I probably could've started a new thread for my comments but it seemed to keep with the flow of other comments in the thread.

#24 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size.
John, did you consider the non-tritium? Just wondering if there's any down-side to the tritium inserts (or if there's a spectacular advantage). I like the look of the diamond shape of these and am thinking about them for the P320.

However, the tritium inserts on my Troy Folding Battle Sights on the AR are profoundly useless. I can barely even see them in total darkness-hence my reticence regarding whether to pick the Tritium option.

Cheers,
Geoff.

#25 ·
Aad Geordie said:
jfwright1955 said:
Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size.
John, did you consider the non-tritium? Just wondering if there's any down-side to the tritium inserts (or if there's a spectacular advantage). I like the look of the diamond shape of these and am thinking about them for the P320.

However, the tritium inserts on my Troy Folding Battle Sights on the AR are profoundly useless. I can barely even see them in total darkness-hence my reticence regarding whether to pick the Tritium option.

Cheers,
Geoff.
The tritiums used in the Speed Sights are installed by Trijicon. I've been happy with Trijicon's tritium sights in the past for low-light / no-light conditions and the Speed Sights are equally as good, as one might expect. I find them easy for sight acquisition for the intended conditions. My M&P is also part of my "night stand" furniture, hence the desire for tritium sights.

We may go with the non-tritiums for my wife's M&P as hers is a "sunny day, 70+ degrees, no nasty weather condition" edition given she's a fair weather person. :)

#26 ·
Personally about the only thing I think the tritium sight are good for is locating my gun on the head board in the dark. Not a bad use but it is worth the extra $$. The SpeedSights without tritium are pretty bright and much easier to see at an indoor range or outdoor covered range than my TFOs.

If you think you want tritium keep an eye on their 95% perfect section on their sales page. You get them at about half price there if they have the one you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.