Speedsights plus Apex trigger on Shield 9mm

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Re: Speedsights plus Apex trigger on Shield 9mm

Postby jeff70 » Fri 01 Jan 2016 1:40 pm

I am interested in the speed sights, do you have a link to them????
jeff70
Novice

Postby Snurd » Fri 01 Jan 2016 4:53 pm

jeff70 wrote:I am interested in the speed sights, do you have a link to them????

www.speedsights.com

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 01 Jan 2016 6:15 pm

I might have to check these out for my full-size M&P's. I've a feeling they may help improve target acquisition with my aging eyes. My current TruGlo TFO's have seen their fair share of wear and tear and are in need of replacement anyway.
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Sun 03 Jan 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Sat 02 Jan 2016 12:18 pm

Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size. I noticed on their Speed Sights FB Page they're offering a 10th anniversary promo code (DJF1979) so used it to save a few bucks.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sat 02 Jan 2016 2:30 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size. I noticed on their Speed Sights FB Page they're offering a 10th anniversary promo code (DJF1979) so used it to save a few bucks.

Always good to save a few bucks! These sights are pretty nifty. :thumbsup:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby jeff70 » Sun 03 Jan 2016 10:20 am

Snurd wrote:
jeff70 wrote:I am interested in the speed sights, do you have a link to them????

http://www.speedsights.com

Sent from iSnurd

Thanks
jeff70
Novice

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 10 Jan 2016 2:44 pm

Well, I installed the Speed Lights on my M&P .40 S&W full-size and headed to the range today to try them out for the first time. I took along my M&P sight installation tool in case I needed to nudge the sights around for point of aim (POA), point of impact (POI) alignment. As it turned out, using calipers to center the sights while installing them paid off as I didn't need to do any tweaking.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the Speed Lights. I really like the design and function. I found target acquisition to be easier and faster and groupings were noticeably better as compared to my old TruGlo TFO's. I think part of that is attributable to the larger surface areas of the Speed Lights and the vivid color of the front sight as compared to normal sights. Even without my prescription shooting glasses to help focus on the front sight I was able to easily put the front green diamond in between the rear white diamonds to get fast and consistent hits. I couldn't do that without my prescription glasses with my TruGlo's.

I wondered if the size of the Speed Lights might obscure the target somewhat at longer distances like some "lollipop" sights tend to do. But, even at 25 yards I was able to find and hit the 16 inch x 10 inch target with the majority of hits in the 7 inch x 6 inch ring.

As my wife also likes the Speed Lights I think we'll be installing them on our M&P 9mm full-size and likely our Shields.

As a side note, when installing the Speed Lights on the M&P using an M&P sight installation tool, I ran into a couple of mild anomalies: 1) The Speed Lights rear sight has a slightly higher profile than that of normal sights so I had to remove a shim from the tool to accommodate the height; and, 2) The front sight has a slightly wider profile and wouldn't fit the front sight tool recess so I used the rear sight recess to install both the front and rear sights. Other than that the installation went without a hitch.

I probably could've started a new thread for my comments but it seemed to keep with the flow of other comments in the thread.
Last edited by jfwright1955 on Sun 10 Jan 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sun 10 Jan 2016 2:57 pm

Nice to see others liking the sights. :thumbsup:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Aad Geordie » Sun 10 Jan 2016 10:41 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size.

John, did you consider the non-tritium? Just wondering if there's any down-side to the tritium inserts (or if there's a spectacular advantage). I like the look of the diamond shape of these and am thinking about them for the P320.

However, the tritium inserts on my Troy Folding Battle Sights on the AR are profoundly useless. I can barely even see them in total darkness—hence my reticence regarding whether to pick the Tritium option.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Mon 11 Jan 2016 8:16 am

Aad Geordie wrote:
jfwright1955 wrote:Ordered some tritiums for my M&P full-size.

John, did you consider the non-tritium? Just wondering if there's any down-side to the tritium inserts (or if there's a spectacular advantage). I like the look of the diamond shape of these and am thinking about them for the P320.

However, the tritium inserts on my Troy Folding Battle Sights on the AR are profoundly useless. I can barely even see them in total darkness—hence my reticence regarding whether to pick the Tritium option.

Cheers,
Geoff.

The tritiums used in the Speed Sights are installed by Trijicon. I've been happy with Trijicon's tritium sights in the past for low-light / no-light conditions and the Speed Sights are equally as good, as one might expect. I find them easy for sight acquisition for the intended conditions. My M&P is also part of my "night stand" furniture, hence the desire for tritium sights.

We may go with the non-tritiums for my wife's M&P as hers is a "sunny day, 70+ degrees, no nasty weather condition" edition given she's a fair weather person. :-)
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Thu 14 Jan 2016 4:55 pm

Personally about the only thing I think the tritium sight are good for is locating my gun on the head board in the dark. Not a bad use but it is worth the extra $$. The SpeedSights without tritium are pretty bright and much easier to see at an indoor range or outdoor covered range than my TFOs.

If you think you want tritium keep an eye on their 95% perfect section on their sales page. You get them at about half price there if they have the one you need.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 15 Jan 2016 6:20 pm

To D-FIN's point, Geoff, tritium sights aren't everyone's cup of tea. If you'd like to see and try them before you decide I can meet you at a range of your choice either down your way or at WSA so you can check them out. In fact, I'll be at WSA this Sunday (Jan 17).
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Aad Geordie » Fri 15 Jan 2016 9:17 pm

I was mostly wondering if the presence of the Tritium tubes detracts, at all, from the normal daytime use. Such as, do they lose any of their daytime impact because of the loss of surface area due to the Tritium insert? If there's no detraction to daytime use then I thought they might be worth having just on the off-chance of night time use.

However, my only experience of Tritium is on the Try folding battle sights for the rifle which are, to be honest, utterly useless. I shut my self in my furnace room in total darkness—couldn't find the sights! Eventually, by locating them with my fingers so I knew exactly where to look, I could just barely make out the rear circle.

Thanks John—I definitely want to meet you up there one of these days so you can show me the ropes :)

Cheers,
Geoff.
Aad Geordie
Marksman

Postby jfwright1955 » Sat 16 Jan 2016 7:28 am

Aad Geordie wrote:I was mostly wondering if the presence of the Tritium tubes detracts, at all, from the normal daytime use. Such as, do they lose any of their daytime impact because of the loss of surface area due to the Tritium insert? If there's no detraction to daytime use then I thought they might be worth having just on the off-chance of night time use.

However, my only experience of Tritium is on the Try folding battle sights for the rifle which are, to be honest, utterly useless. I shut my self in my furnace room in total darkness—couldn't find the sights! Eventually, by locating them with my fingers so I knew exactly where to look, I could just barely make out the rear circle.

Thanks John—I definitely want to meet you up there one of these days so you can show me the ropes :)

Cheers,
Geoff.

What one person finds distracting another may not. For me, because of their design and generous see-able area I don't. But, if you don't anticipate you'll use them for low light / no light conditions just stick with the no-tritium sights for maximum see-able area.

Something to keep in mind is that Speed Sights has a no-questions-asked, 2-month return and refund policy so if you order either and don't like them just send them back or trade them.

Let me know when you'd like to do a little plinking. Maybe we can twist Bill's arm into joining us. Not too much longer before Brant and Mark's classes, either :thumbsup:
John
NRA RSO
jfwright1955
Sniper

Speedsights plus Apex trigger on Shield 9mm

Postby Snurd » Sat 16 Jan 2016 8:19 am

Aad Geordie wrote:

I think you just needed to turn the rifle around so that you were looking at the back of the sights. :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms Reviews