Review/Opinions on Cobra Kodiak Denali?

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Review/Opinions on Cobra Kodiak Denali?

Postby Bill801 » Wed 09 Mar 2016 9:40 am

Was perusing UGE recently and ran across an ad for these.

Locally made, lifetime warranty, and cheap.

Reviews are generally not favorable across the interwebz, and they all seem to agree that if this is going to be carried, do NOT keep a round chambered, and definitely do not rely on it as a primary SD option.

Two questions:
1) If kept in a holster and the safety engaged, why not carry loaded, and

2) It seems that with a "bit of spit and polish" this wouldn't be too bad of a carry piece for someone on a budget.

Has anyone here had hands on one?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." ~Unkown
Bill801
Novice

Re: Review/Opinions on Cobra Kodiak Denali?

Postby MarshallDodge » Wed 09 Mar 2016 10:36 am

Lots of bad reviews is a good clue as to why you should pass on one of these. For a little more money you could pickup something like a Kahr CW9, or better yet a Glock G43 or a S&W Shield.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Bill801 » Wed 09 Mar 2016 10:40 am

MarshallDodge wrote:Lots of bad reviews is a good clue as to why you should pass on one of these. For a little more money you could pickup something like a Kahr CW9, or better yet a Glock G43 or a S&W Shield.

Oh I understand what you're saying, and I agree very much.

I have no plans on one of these, as I have my eye on an LCR as soon as my gun budget is stabilized again, I was just wondering about the two questions. Primarily #1.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." ~Unkown
Bill801
Novice

Postby Snurd » Wed 09 Mar 2016 11:10 am

Answering your first question, there may be a good reason. Though I have never handled one of these, I just watched a video at The Truth About Guns website on one of these. The guy takes the gun all the way apart and shows it stripped down. Modern firearms have a few different safeties that make them great to carry with a round in the chamber. Yes, this little gun has an external safety, but it doesn't have anything on the inside of it that I can see. Yes it blocks the trigger from being pulled, but that's not the concern that I see with it. I do not see a firing pin safety. It's very possible, that if the gun is dropped, or if you fall down hard enough, that the firing pin will say hello to the primer.

Another thing that I thought was odd, is that it looks like the firing pin is also used as the ejector. :raisedbrow:

The quality of the gun appears quite low. Understandably so, since it's extremely cheap. I would much rather spend more money and get something quality.
Snurd
Posse

Postby D-FIN » Wed 09 Mar 2016 12:55 pm

My first gun was won as a door prize a gun show. It was a Jimenez Arm JA380. Basically a renamed Bryco - Jennings. You will see all the same reviews. I carried it for about a month before I got my Glock and I never carried it chambered. Partly because I was new to carry but mostly because I just didn't trust the safety.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Return to Firearms Reviews