HK USP Compact .45

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

HK USP Compact .45

Postby Jesse 8 » Thu 10 Mar 2016 8:21 pm

Hello again. It has been many moons since I've been around. I wanted to get an opinion or 2 about a potential problem but I figured I may as well tie in a firearm review while I'm at it since some of you may be interested in the gun I have questions about.

The HK USP Compact chambered in the wonderful .45 ACP :P . As of this writing I've put 300 rounds down the barrel. Thanks to Slipstream and German engineering there have been 0 malfunctions of any kind(which as we all know, just means I haven't shot the thing enough yet :mrgreen:). I've owned this gun just shy of 1 month and have carried it every day in a leather Blackhawk "CQC" holster size 05 on a Spec Ops brand Riggers belt of the 1.75 in variety. This combo works very well for me. AIWB is still my preferred method of carry, and I primarily carry the gun this way. Occasionally as necessary it rides in the Smart Carry sized for my G30SF but that's less ideal for speed. Alright, on to the good stuff.

I have made 2 modifications thus far to the firearm. For those of you that don't know the USP series of pistols is configureable to any 1 of 9 trigger/safety options. I'll attempt to add in a pic listing all of them. I have converted this pistol from Variant 1 DA/SA with a manual safety. To Variant 3 DA/SA with no manual safety. I don't like safeties on my carry guns and the USP is accommodating to that. Somewhere down the line I may try the light LEM trigger which is similar to the SIG DAK line of triggers. Lighter trigger pull than the first shot in DA/SA but heavier than the single action pulls. The second modification I made was to remove the "off" switch that these pistols have been equipped with since about 1999 IIRC. This is a simple matter of replacing the lanyard loop to one without the off/lockout switch. So now this gun is officially "Safety" free. Point and pull. Just the way I like it.

This gun is very, very accurate. Second only to my full-size Kimber. I will post pictures below but suffice it to say, if I can do my job the HK will more than keep up (at seemingly any distance). I love almost everything about this gun. I purchased it at Galletsons and they had the evolved version, the HK45c there as well. However I did not like how smooth the grip was, I felt I would have to put an "A" Grip on that pistol whereas the grip sides on the USP line are IMO perfectly textured for maximum grip and comfort on the pistol. Unlike my Glock; and the front and back checkering is not too aggressive for me, unlike my Kahr. The USP compact feels wonderful in my hand, aiming is natural and shooting this gun is downright fun. Recoil is more than the G30 due to the USP's higher bore axis. Followup shots are however, anything but slow. The sights come back down and align nicely when using 2 hands to fire. Firing with a single had I have only done sparingly with this gun, however due to the bore axis height muzzle flip is pretty substantial for me. This is one area of improvement that I need to work on across all of my handgun platforms. Another item worthy of noting, when I shoot this gun the safety/de-cocker recoils into the webbing of my thumb. After a while this causes irritation and minor soreness for the next day. I have found 150 rounds to be about the ideal spot for now. I'm sure as I shoot it more my thumb will adjust and all will be well. Also the switch can be relocated to the other side if I were a leftie or simply wanted it out of my way.

Carrying the USP gives me a feeling of confidence. I've always favored carrying what I will call "Combat" handguns. I stay away from the micro pocket pistols and any gun that involves wrapping my pinkie under the grip(my G30 when using 9 round mags is the exception) I don't carry my Kahr CW45 any more than I have to due to its diminished size. To me "Combat" handgun means a firearm large enough that I am able to confidently take out to 100 yards if the need arose(please no discussion on this here, I know it's controversial but IMO, still necessary). It also means carrying something that is by no one's standard "small". Which lets be honest, this gun is definitely NOT. I consider it to be a medium sized handgun. It's compact compared to the large USP, yes. But not compared to a lot of the single stack 9's out there.

Potential issues/gripings. Yes, this is the part where people sick of those of us who are on the HK bandwagon get to cheer and clap. In SA mode when dry firing I hold the trigger down and cycle the slide, my trigger release then has 2 "stages" or audible/tactile "clicks". Only on the second click will the trigger engage and drop the hammer. This is not normal and posters elsewhere have sent in their pistols to HK in GA to be fixed without a hiccup. I may be doing this in the near future, I may not. This gun with a box of ammo, spare magazine, and holster cost me nearly $1200 out the door. Plus the $ for parts to convert the safety systems. That's annoying, considering my G30 is nearly bone stock, cost me half as much, and gives me similar performance in a more streamlined body with 2 and 3 extra rounds per magazine vs the HK.

That's all I've got for now. Time to go give the new girl a nice post shooting session clean and lube. :dancing:

The distances in the pictures are approximations. 35 yards at Doug’s was when bottom of the silhouette target touched the incline ramp at the back of their range

ETA so pictures aren't working. I'll have to research that and maybe get some up later tonight if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Sorry :dunno:
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -Unknown

Incoming fire has the right of way
Jesse 8
Expert Marksman

Re: HK USP Compact .45

Postby Snurd » Thu 10 Mar 2016 9:40 pm

:welcome: back. :D

It may have been a typing error, but Doug's is 25 yards, not 35. :wink:

Excellent review. I haven't been a fan of HK, mainly because I think they don't look that great and they are really pricey. Plus the fact that HK thinks we suck and they hate us. Thanks Larry Correia. :wink:

You may be able to remedy the decocker issue by moving your thumb a bit. I haven't held that particular gun, so I don't know if that would work or not.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Jesse 8 » Thu 10 Mar 2016 11:15 pm

Ah. I was trying to count by guesstimating off of lines based in the ceiling. I really should just bring the family range finder with me one of these times. A better explanation of what I was trying to say was to "Me" when the bottom of that silhouette target touched the ramp it seemed to be by counting the tiles about 35 yards. but again, as you have so candidly pointed out, it's actually 25 yards. Thanks, my shooting just became nominally less impressive :P

ETA as to the thumb positioning: I could drop my primary hand thumb. But that would leave no room to slide my supporting thumb under it for a proper grip. So I can avoid it when shooting one handed, but not in a full grip unfortunately. I could just do the LEM conversion and remove the decocker entirely, but time will tell if that's the route I decide to go.
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -Unknown

Incoming fire has the right of way
Jesse 8
Expert Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Sat 12 Mar 2016 1:31 am

Don't worry Snurd makes us all feel less impressive most days.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Return to Firearms Reviews