XDs-3.3" in 45 ACP (Stainless) with Crimson Trace

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Postby tapehoser » Mon 21 Mar 2016 11:15 am

Met a private seller at the range last week to see about purchasing an XDs-3.3" in .45 ACP.

First thoughts about the feel of the gun in my hand.....feels like a good fit. Beefier than my Sig P290, but that's to be expected. I can still only fit two fingers on the grip, below the trigger guard (5-round mag), which is also to be expected, since this is meant to be a concealable gun. Sliding in the 7-round mag affords me the comfort of having all fingers on the grip, which makes it nicer on range day.

Tried shooting by relying on the laser to see how it was sighted. Was not sighted accurately and was aimed low and to the right. I used the regular sights to shoot another few rounds out of the 5 and 7-round mags. Everything functioned perfectly. A few adjustments to the laser over the weekend have the thing shooting straight as can be.

A couple things to mention and make note of:

Pros
1. SUPER smooth slide action. Racking the slide is WAY easier than my beefy XD Tactical.
2. Thin. This thing feels as thin as my Sig P290. Way comfortable to carry.
3. Sights. I shoot better with large, tall sights. Like the sights on my Ruger Super Blackhawk, they are super clear. The red fiber optic at the front is great. Helps me to see it and focus on the front sight better.
4. I have large hands. For a concealed piece, the size is great. While the grips are thin, they are slightly elongated, which fits my hand better but still remains concealable.
5. Positive ejection of the magazine. Held the gun upside-down and pressed the release and the mag popped up about an inch.
6. I have big, long hands. Generally, for my CFP, my finger, at the resting position on the slide, can protrude at or just beyond the end of the barrel. The XDs gives me about a half inch of safety that I haven't had in a while.
7. Crimson Trace laser sights are SUPER easy to adjust.
8. Trigger reset. Love the trigger weight and the reset now. Very easy to tell where the thing will break each time you shoot it.
9. With 5 rounds in the magazine, the thing weighs 25 ounces total.

Cons
1. Being left handed, I have to remove my wedding ring to shoot this thing. Seriously considering wearing it on my right hand henceforth. The mix of the aggressive grip and the wedding ring make for some painful recoil.
2. Recoil is stout, sure, but not overly aggressive. To be expected with a concealed carry 45.
3. With 5 rounds in the magazine, the thing weighs 25 ounces total.

Yeah, it's a beefy gun to carry, but for a .45 ACP, it's the best and most reliable option I've ever found. Love, love this gun.
tapehoser
Posse

Postby Snurd » Mon 21 Mar 2016 2:23 pm

I carry the 9mm version daily. I carry it in a S H T F Gear holster and it disappears very easily. It's incredibly accurate too.

Congrats on the gun. :thumbsup:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: XDs-3.3" in 45 ACP (Stainless) with Crimson Trace

Postby Snurd » Mon 21 Mar 2016 3:24 pm

One thing I forgot to mention. Recently my friend and I stumbled on to silicone wedding rings. They are very nice for working in, and I actually shoot with it on too. My normal wedding ring was painful to shoot with, and I would usually take it off when doing so. But with the silicone ring, I hardly notice it's there, and it's awesome for use at the range.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Return to Firearms Reviews